Cod liver oil- extremely toxic, Ray Peat was right

Ray Peat diet information.

Cod liver oil- extremely toxic, Ray Peat was right

Unread postby BaconBits » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:02 pm

While researching I found out that the linoleic acid is 4x mre prone to oxidation than oleic acid. Linolenic acid with its 3 double bound is 9 times more prone to oxidation than oleic. Where would a DHA with its 6 double bond land, like 36x or mybe even 100x more prone to oxidation. Damn that is very very toxic.

There are people still pushing cod liver oil not to mention even regular fish oil. Even if the cod liver oil is 25% Epa and DHA that would equal for 1 gram of those two like at least 9 grams of regular seed oil linoleic acid. Not to menton that the DHA could act like a "exploding bomb in a warehouse" of other highly vulnerable unsaturated fatty acids in the body.

Funny thing is that wikipedia site about linseed oil mentions it oxidizing so quickly it heats up and can even go on fire.

Cod liver oil not safe and the funny thing is that the refining to remove the heavy metals destroys all the vitamin D and A and they add synthetic ones back in.

Maybe a shot od radioactive isotope talium with some vitamin A and D will become popular in the future, maybe radioation will came back in fashion since Ray Peat mentioned that x-rays were popular in the 50s. X-ray and fish oil have the same effect.

BaconBits

Re: Cod liver oil- extremely toxic, Ray Peat was right

Unread postby Charlie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:06 pm

BaconBits wrote:Maybe a shot od radioactive isotope talium with some vitamin A and D will become popular in the future, maybe radioation will came back in fashion since Ray Peat mentioned that x-rays were popular in the 50s. X-ray and fish oil have the same effect.

Please dont give them any ideas. :rolling

Ray Peat right again!

Charlie
Admin
Admin

Unread postby mandance » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Oh man, if you try to tell someone fish oil is toxic, its almost like you insulted their mother or something. I think I had the first reaction when I was told that too, luckily, I was never a big fish oil consumer. have had plenty of xrays though throughout life. But still under 30 so hopefully its alright lol.

I wonder if the fishoil thing is some sort of placebo effect. So many people swear its awesome, but i never noticed anything from it at all.

mandance

Unread postby Peata » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 pm

I tried fish oil off and on over the years since it became hugely popular, but I never noticed any effect from it for any of the things it was touted to improve.

Peata

Unread postby mandance » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah, that was my experience also. I took it for awhile and thought...well I dont feel anything so im not going to buy more of it. Other people I know seem to claim its like the cure for everything. Thicker hair, better skin, nails etc. Helps with memory, heart health. It seems it is becoming widely accepted as some miracle supplement.

mandance

Unread postby Rolan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:52 am

Thank the lord I flat broke when this stuff was being touted around 3 or 4 years ago :lol:

Tastes revolting for a start. Think I only went through about 3 bottles in my life.

Rolan

Unread postby BaconBits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Well the vitamin A in it is pretty high, almost impossible to find something thats not a supplement so high in retinol.

I personally doubt the cod liver oil is not rancid the moment you buy it, it is 25% DHA an EPA, 50% mono and 25& saturated.
But the long chain 5 and 6 double bond DHA and EPA are many times as prone to oxidation than the linoleic in linseed which is known to heat u if its oxidizing on air. WAP foundation recomends a teaspoon and that around 1,25 grams of this it. As far as oxidative damage that would equal like 6-10g the seed oil linoleic one.

Its funny Mercola stopped cod liver oil beacuse some weird reason that retinol its no good betacarotene better and reccomend krill oil with only 150 mg DHa and EPA but krill oil also has the antioxidant astaxanthin to stop oxidation. Acoording to his studies the 150 mg krill is better than the 1 gram from cod.

If 150 mg of omega 3 is enough why even take fish oils as far as I know butter has like 150 mg per 50 g and organic one has 3-4 time as much.But t clear the linolenic to DHa enzyme not too much omega 6 needs to be around. Or eat a walnut or two.

Someone like Ray Peat who really limits omega 6 and gets some omega 3 from and dairy fats is probably more "saturated" in omega 3 than people gobbling up fish oils.

BaconBits

Unread postby gretchen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 pm

I got insomnia from 1 tablespoon of CLO- really scary stuff.

gretchen