Citrus Food Has Serotonin

Dewitt

Where is the actual evidence? The link doesn't lead to a study and there are no sources listed either.

Dewitt

If that's the case, it would not be very much. Plaintains contain 30.000mg/kg and even tomatoes contain more serotonin, 3.000mg/kg. Bananas contain 15.000mg/kg. Grapefruits contain 900mg/kg. Oranges contain less than 100mg/kg.

Source: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/4/ ... l.pdf+html

Dewitt

Or in words: 30.000 means thirty thousand.

It didn't even occur to me that this could lead to confusion :)

OP
D

Des Esseintes

1000 ug = 1mg

If 30 ug/g then 30 000 ug / kg viz. 30 mg / g

I have been an EU citizen for 21 years and we do not use a 'period'.

It didn't even occur to me that this could lead to confusion :)

Dewitt

Yes, I ****88 up the conversion - got it completely backwards. Well, it was 4:30 AM when I wrote it. Let's try this again, shall we?

Plantains: 30 mg/kg
Pineapple: 17 mg/kg
Bananas: 15 mg/kg
Tomatoes: 3 mg/kg
Grapefruit: 1 mg/kg
Oranges: less than 0,1 mg/kg

Furthermore, yes the decimal mark is used for digit grouping in the EU. At least sometimes. Here in Germany, we use the point for digit grouping and the comma for fractions.

Dewitt

Obviously not. I already gave you a link to a study that proves otherwise. Your information is flawed.

Dewitt

How about a link? Any source? Any study? Otherwise this argument is just pointless.

Dewitt

By the way: 2 kilograms of oranges would be pretty much a lethal dose in this case.

Lilly

if I fry bananas in coconut oil, bananas black on the outside, totally ripe, how much serotonin is left? I really like banana pancakes, but I have high serotonin so i'm in a dilemma, to ditch bananas or not:/

NooMoahk

Lilly said:
if I fry bananas in coconut oil, bananas black on the outside, totally ripe, how much serotonin is left? I really like banana pancakes, but I have high serotonin so i'm in a dilemma, to ditch bananas or not:/

I don't think heat breaks down serotonin well at cooking temperatures but I can't remember where I read that. Don't take as fact.