Are foods made by extrusion really toxic?

freal

OP
F

freal

There are actually 2 types of extrusion, first is the cold extrusion, which is basically just putting the dough through a hole to shape it, like spaghetti. Pasta is then dried but will need to be cooked after that.

Second one is extrusion cooking, which is squezzing dough through a hole at high temperature and high pressure, denaturing protein and gelatinazing the starch. Corn flakes or cookies are example. The process cooks the starch and you can recognize this foods as they dont need to be cooked.

Second one could be the dangerous one?

Ben

I think the second one would be the toxic type. Vitamins are also probably destroyed in the process, if temperature is high enough to produce toxic substances. I would stay away from corn products anyway, because it's likely to be derived from genetically modified plants. Spaghetti should be okay.

OP
F

freal

Ben said:
I think the second one would be the toxic type. Vitamins are also probably destroyed in the process, if temperature is high enough to produce toxic substances. I would stay away from corn products anyway, because it's likely to be derived from genetically modified plants. Spaghetti should be okay.

I have a feeling those studies in WAP articles are a not telling the whole picture. You can make corn flakes by the old conventional process where temperature dont go over 100°C, but the box does not say it was made conventionally or extruded.
Extruded is high pressure and 150-200°C for a few minutes, I still dont understand how it can destroy the corn so much???
Denaturing and damaging protein so they become toxic just by that???? The temperature is the same as that of deep frying.

OP
F

freal

Well beside extrusion cooking there is a very similar process called drum-drying, where food is heated to very high temperature in a drum till most water evaporizes and the starch gelatinizes and the protein denature.

Foods made by this are powdered milk (which is often added to skimmed milk and always to milk chocolate), instant potatoes, instant cornmeal, instant polenta, most instant starches and baby food.

I think I will write an email to Ray Peat if this two processes make the protein in grain and milk toxic.