Chicken

Birdie

narouz said:
Birdie said:
While I've still got it in mind, I was listening to an interview recently where Ray spoke of using a chicken for stock. I should have written down the reference, but I was in the bathtub.

I was surprised because I've heard him only talk about problems with chickens before. He said they have a high metabolism which helps. I won't say more because I can't remember accurately.

Do remember what interview, Birdie?
No. That's the problem. I'll try to retrace by looking at the list.
I looked. I think it was Autoimmune and Movement Disorders, Pol & Sci.

OP
N

narouz

Birdie said:
narouz said:
Birdie said:
While I've still got it in mind, I was listening to an interview recently where Ray spoke of using a chicken for stock. I should have written down the reference, but I was in the bathtub.

I was surprised because I've heard him only talk about problems with chickens before. He said they have a high metabolism which helps. I won't say more because I can't remember accurately.

Do remember what interview, Birdie?
No. That's the problem. I'll try to retrace by looking at the list.
I looked. I think it was Autoimmune and Movement Disorders, Pol & Sci.

Cool.
Thanks!
I'll give it a listen.

Birdie

I just had it on. The chicken comes in at the 50 minute mark just when you think there is no chance he'll talk about it. But I see that he was talking about rightly grown chicken. Not your grain fed birds.

WilltoBelieve

To remove all the fat a Chicken can be prepared by cooking in water. The fat rises to the top and can be then removed. Use plenty of water and cook for a long time... one can arrive at a relatively fat free conclusion. I add some vinegar to the water and approach the process as if making bone broth. Once Im satisfied that the fat has been reduced as muchas possible, I then boil off some of the water so to produce a rich dense stew. I put the rendered fat on my compost pile... I eat this kind of stew about about once per week sometimes less.

Birdie

I don't think there is a problem with grass fed chicken as long as it's not our main source of protein. Also, Ray has criticized the habit of removing the skin. I assume he is still talking about what he considers safe, grass fed chickens, and that it's better to eat the skin there. He tells us to eat the pork skins (rinds), and to try to eat more than just muscle meat. That includes skin.

I cannot find grass fed chickens here. And the more I get into this Way, the less meat or fowl I eat. I'm busy with eggs, fruit, gelatin, milk, coffee, prepping my calves liver... No time for all the other cooking I used to do.

Also, as Ray says, when you eat a lean cut of meat, you get a good amount of fat from that.

These are just things I've picked up in interviews. Not saying anyone has to pay attention but it helps me to clarify when I write, so I do! And sometimes I find when I write that I'm not clear on something. That helps me too.

gretchen

I've never felt good on chicken. It's also not that flavorful no matter how you cook it. If you marinate it, that helps. Chicken soup is nice once in a while, but I don't miss it.

bohogirl

Really interested to know if chicken skin is bad. That is the only part of the chicken I like. Otherwise, I hate chicken.

DaveFoster

Dr. Peat eats chicken during the week. He skims off the fat and puts it in a gelatinous soup.

Catcream

Again, unable to quote Dr Peat, but from memory the pufa is in the fat. However, I believe the skin is an excellent source of gelatin and by boiling the whole chicken, including neck and head and feet, one gets the benefit of the goodness from the bones, thyroid and skin. You can then drain off the stock, chill and scrape off the fat which will rise to the top and discard. Of course, like has been said, is important to know the source of the chicken and even organic free range farmers will probably be feeding their chickens feed that is supplemented with fish meal and /or soy proteins, making it pretty undesirable. Pretty hard to source good eggs or chicken I would imagine , especially if you live in the city .

Gelatin, stress, longevity

Isn't it the high tryptophan that would be a problem with chicken consumption ?

amethyst

A good way to cook boneless chicken breasts and to give them moisture, is to cook them on low to medium in a sauce pan, in chicken broth, with a little added butter for flavor. Keep the pan covered so the steam stays in the pan and check them periodically. You can marinate them also for added moisture.

tomisonbottom

Reconcile this statement by Peat...

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011...ding-a-foundation-for-better-understandi.html

...with this list of PUFA
Extremely low Omega 6 Sources (Less than 2%)
Coconut oil 1.9%
Prime rib 1.8%
Whole milk 1.8%
Half and Half 1.8%
Ground Beef 1.6%
Macadamia Nuts 1.6%
Chicken without skin 1.4%
Lamb 1.4%

Maybe Omega 6 content is not a good way to estimate PUFA content?
Maybe the PUFAs in chicken are all in the skin?

I don't think it's about PUFA so much as the high phosphorus/cysteine and low calcium/glycine, which is same reason he says not to make ANY muscle meat a central part of the diet

Geronimo

It says right in the other study that chickens deposit the fat of their diet directly into tissues, likely because they lack the desaturase enzymes of ruminants. The low fat chicken breast is low in all fatty acids. Chickens fed gmo/glyphosate-ridden grain and vegetable oils are incredibly unhealthy, even if baked. The skin and the dark meat is loaded with pufa, almost certainly oxidized during baking. Not to mention the amino acid profile of muscle meat. Industrial pork is basically the same, probably even worse. Almost nothing makes me feel worse than chicken or pork, except maybe McDonald's fries, for obvious reasons. It's some of the unhealthiest and most thyroid-suppressing food available. Avoid at all costs.
Read the study below: about 37% of the fat in chicken is linoleic.

Last edited:
It says right in the other study that chickens deposit the fat of their diet directly into tissues, likely because they lack the desaturase enzymes of ruminants. The low fat chicken breast is low in all fatty acids. Chickens fed gmo/glyphosate-ridden grain and vegetable oils are incredibly unhealthy, even if baked. The skin and the dark meat is loaded with pufa, almost certainly oxidized during baking. Not to mention the amino acid profile of muscle meat. Industrial pork is basically the same, probably even worse. Almost nothing makes me feel worse than chicken or pork, except maybe McDonald's fries, for obvious reasons. It's some of the unhealthiest and most thyroid-suppressing food available. Avoid at all costs.
Read the study below: about 37% of the fat in chicken is linoleic.

I agree, conventional chicken meat nowadays is pretty unhealthy( although any feedlot meat is going to be pretty problematic in general, because of things like atrazine).

Something which I find very interesting though, is that, while chicken fat can be made toxic by feeding the chickens corn and soy, the opposite can be done. If we fed chickens stuff like coconuts and beef tallow, as well as low PUFA foods, the fatty acid composition in their tissues changes dramatically( for the better). Same thing with pigs. There was study which Travis posted years ago showing that, in the island of Tokelau, the islanders fed their chickens and pigs coconuts, and, according to the fatty acid analysis of the tissues of these animals, they were really low in PUFA(2% to 3%) and very high in saturated fat( I think the chickens had something like 77%+ saturated fat). Imagine how low in PUFA these animals would be if we fed them hydrogenated coconut oil, which has zero polyunsaturates.

(PDF) Cholesterol, coconuts, and diet on Polynesian atolls: A natural experiment: The Pukapuka and Tokelau Island studies (researchgate.net)

Geronimo

Tropical Traditions actually does that. Their stuff is really expensive, but probably worth it in the long run, considering the medical costs and emotional ruin that comes along with the consequences of eating filthy chicken your whole life.

Last edited: