Diarrhea but not bloating/pain from milk

Ben

I like milk and ice cream, but I get watery diarrhea from the smallest amounts, like a mug of milk or some ice cream before bed. I don't get such a reaction from cheese. It's very frustrating because I like milk and ice cream so much. I have to choose between sensory deprivation and despair from being stuck on the toilet for such a long time and not consuming any milk/ice cream at all.

My mom, on the other hand, has lactose intolerance. She gets serious stomach aches from ice cream or milk. I don't ever get stomach aches from them.

I drink lots of orange juice, but if I drink too quickly I get diarrhea, so I sip it. I tried to do this with milk, but it didn't work. It makes me question whether my problem with milk is its water content, or if I have a problem with lactose like my mom, but that manifests differently.

4peatssake

Have you tried adding a small amount of milk to your OJ?
Ray also recommends trying different brands of milk but you may have already done that.
I drink a lot of milk and oj together, usually this is what I have first thing in the morning.
You could start with just 1 or 2 tablespoons and see how well you tolerate it.

Ray Peat said:
When a group of lactase deficient people have been given some milk every day for a few weeks, they have adapted, for example with tests showing that much less hydrogen gas was produced from lactose by intestinal bacteria after they had adapted (Pribila, et al., 2000).
Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

OP
B

Ben

I'll probably try it. But the weird thing is that I don't have gas from milk, and the study mentions hydrogen gas.

OP
B

Ben

So is diarrhea but not gas from milk lactose intolerance? Has anyone had the same issue? I'm sure I have a low progesterone-estrogen ratio, so maybe it is a lack of lactase.

himsahimsa

If you can eat cottage cheese OK but not whole milk you might be reacting to the imunoglobins in the whey, the liquid part of the milk. Anything that gives you diarrhea is causing irritation of your gut and that is not good. Consider getting your nutrients from things that don't give you bad reactions. Milk and OJ are only good for you if they are good for you. If you have had antibiotics you may have a deranged population of gut bacteria and should try to nurse it back to health. Broad spectrum probiotics and Saccharomyces Boulardii might help. Saccharomyces Boulardii neutralizes many endotoxins and acts as a 'nurse' for the other intestinal bacteria. Take the bacteria with your carrot of other fibrous material to provide it a hospitable environment. Don't slam down the probiotics. A little over time. Oregon Grape root (capsules) once in a while can help to nudge the balance of bacteria into a more favorable state.

Pet Peeve

One more possibility is that you're reacting to the iodine in the milk. I didn't get any iodine in my food for a long time (milk, seafood allergies) and I used mineral salt that didn't contain iodine. When I got iodized salt I had diarrhea for days, but this passed and I adapted, or I had some detox reaction. Every time I increased iodine dose through supplementation I got diarrhea for a couple of days. In the end at 12.5 mg a day I also adapted. My goats milk contains 600 mcg iodine per liter, that's a lot if your not used to it.