Farmers Cheese Discussion

Filip1993

@Mittir I'm going to do some home made farmers cheese today. I use 8 cups of whole milk which is around 1200 calories (61 g protein, 93 g carbs and 63 g fat), do you have any idea if the cheese has the same amount of calories? And how much fat is lost during cooking? Thanks.

Mittir

Re: Finally decided to introduce myself :)

@Filip1993
You will get about 50 grams of protein, small amount of lactose
(probably 5-10 grams. The fat content depends on the process,heat, acidity etc.
You can guess the amount left in curd by looking at the whey part.
I use unhomogenized milk and good amount of fat floats on the liquid when
curd and whey is seperated. I skim off that fat.
I slowly add acid after i turn off the heat. This gives a better texture.

OP
F

Filip1993

@Thanks for the help Mittir! Do you think it's possible to make farmers cheese with low fat milk? I just have access to whole milk which is homogenized so I can't skim of the fat.

Mittir

@Filip1993
You can definitely use low fat milk.

OP
F

Filip1993

Yeah, it went really good actually. Just one more question, how do you know how much protein is lost during cooking? I used 5 cups which is 40 grams of protein. And also, the cheese contains as much carbs as the milk, right? Thanks for your help.

Mittir

@Filip1993
I have read that in acid curdling 80 to 95 percent of the protein is retained
depending on the temperature of the milk and acid added.
There should be at least 25 grams protein per quart.
Boiling milk to a higher temperature can increase protein content
by increasing whey portion in the cheese. But cheese protein is a better
option because of it's lower tryptophan content.
That is why i do not boil milk to high temperature.
Farmers cheese has very little carbohydrate, 10-20 calories
compared to 200 calories in milk. Farmers cheese from 1 quart low fat milk
is quite similar to that of low fat cottage cheese of one cup.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ducts/15/2

himsahimsa

Mittir:
When you say "boil milk to a high temperature", what do you mean? Milk boils at 212.something degrees F at sea level atmospheric pressure (you could get it hotter in a pressure cooker). Just a hair of a degree higher than pure water. It can 't boil at a lower temperature and at 212.xx it will be in full boil. So I'm not clear about what you're saying.

OP
F

Filip1993

Thanks Mittir! I'm gonna make farmers cheese from 8 cups everyday and see how it goes.

Mittir

Filip1993 said:
Thanks Mittir! I'm gonna make farmers cheese from 8 cups everyday and see how it goes.
You will need adequate carbohydrate with protein to get full benefit.
8 cups of milk has about 100 grams of lactose. Just replacing lactose means
adding 100 grams of sugar(sucrose/honey/fruits) . I feel bad if i do not
eat a lot of sugar with cheese.

OP
F

Filip1993

@Mittir Yes of course! I eat over 600 grams of sugar so that is not a problem. I just want a good protein source.

mt_dreams

Filip1993 said:
Yeah, it went really good actually. Just one more question, how do you know how much protein is lost during cooking? I used 5 cups which is 40 grams of protein. And also, the cheese contains as much carbs as the milk, right? Thanks for your help.

Farmers cheese, like cottage cheese, will contain the fat, and casein protein from milk. Only the latter if you use skim milk. The whey protein, and lactose end up in the liquid. Casein protein makes up 80% of milk protein. The cheese will contain almost zero carbs, as the lactose ends up in the liquid.

Using your example of 5 cups of milk, you're cheese would have 32 grams of casein protein, while the liquid would contain 8 grams of whey, and all the lactose from the milk.

Could someone elucidate on the procedure? I would be most grateful! I left a sealed bottle around for about a month and the resulting content smelled rather pleasant. Is that cheese?

My enzymes are very strong at this point, but three quarts of milk ends up leaving some gas behind nonetheless. But commercial fresh cheese is all chemical, unfortunately not an option.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
F

Filip1993

@Charlie Do you know how long you can store it in the refrigerator before it goes bad?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hmmmm, 3 or 4 days maybe? Maybe slightly longer but I always ate mine before it had a chance to go bad.

Maybe someone else knows.

jaa

The lady says a week on that recipe, but who knows. Quicker you eat the lower the histamines, right?

How economical is making farmers cheese compared to say buying parm reggiano? My understanding is that the farmers cheese removes water and whey from milk, which is a positive from a hypo pov. Does farmers remove anything else? Are there any major differences from a peat pov between farmers cheese and parm reggiano aside from histamine content?

jyb

Parmesan is high fat. I don't mind fat, but I find that its too much to digest if the aim is really just protein/calcium. A whole block of parmesan is only 30-40g protein. So it's ok for a snack, but eating whole blocks to get protein seems impractical.

Fat separates almost immediately because of density and melting point. I've used homogenized, micro-filtered even, no problem.

tara

Filip1993 said:
Is it possible to make farmers cheese with homogenized milk?
I use homogenised commercial 3% milk for this regularly because I like it better than from skim milk.
I think you lose quite a bit of the calcium in with the whey.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals