shell fish

lazz

Im a little confused ..aren't shell fish such as Oyster, shrimp high in tryptophan?? if so , why are they good to go in Peat's diet????I though the idea was to keep serotin levels as low as possible??

paper_clips43

There are certain minerals that are desired. Also I am pretty sure shellfish when eaten have a more balanced amino acid profile because you are eating the whole animal.
Excessive Serotonin is actually the main reason we eat this way and shellfish is naturally higher in calcium and there for should be converting tryptophan to niacin instead of Serotonin.
IMO I think PUFA is the bad part about shellfish and should be kept to once a week for consumption.
This is not a meat free diet and I personally have found that eating meat twice a day is the most health promoting although I always eat meat with lots of calcium and gelatin or BCAA

J

j.

paper_clips43 said:
IMO I think PUFA is the bad part about shellfish and should be kept to once a week for consumption.

Doesn't shellfish have very little fat?

OP
L

lazz

I wrote the man and he replied ..lol..

"They would be much too high in tryptophan if they were the main protein in the diet, but with gelatin (or glycine, etc.) to balance it, the small amount from having oysters occasionally isn't a problem, and they are so rich in trace minerals that once a week is enough."

paper_clips43

j. said:
paper_clips43 said:

Doesn't shellfish have very little fat?

6 medium oysters has 11 grams of fat. Half of that is mono and the other half is split between poly and sat.
with 8 grams protein.

I tend to eat more clams right now because of easier access and
20 small clams has about 4 grams of fat with only .4 sat. with 49 grams of protein. So clams are low fat. oysters not so much

lazz said:

"They would be much too high in tryptophan if they were the main protein in the diet, but with gelatin (or glycine, etc.) to balance it, the small amount from having oysters occasionally isn't a problem, and they are so rich in trace minerals that once a week is enough."

Hmmm.... I eat oysters two or three times a week because I LOVE them dearly. I guess I should cut back... :cry:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
lazz said:

Hmmm.... I eat oysters two or three times a week because I LOVE them dearly. I guess I should cut back... :cry:
I've had many of those moments :cry: And a few of these too: :-o :shock: :eek : :banghead

Yep...I eat a whole tin of smoked oysters in olive oil (drained and patted dry) every Tuesday and Thursday for lunch and then I pan fry fresh oysters on the weekend, every weekend. Definitely NOT gonna give up my pan fried fresh oysters, so now I gotta come up with a new lunch plan for Tues/Thurs.....damn, I love oysters.

I feel like I did when I found out the truth about my homemade (kefir+flax seed oil+vitality supergreens+non-GMO sunflower lecithin) smoothies I was making for lunch every day back in November.... :nono I went through an ENTIRE 32 oz bottle of Barlean's flax seed oil in one month. I was in the middle of moving and it was easier to make smoothies everyday so I could pack up the kitchen and I was too busy to do alot of RP reading...oooops.

Combine that with all the fish oil I was guzzling and nuts that I previously lived on and it isn't difficult to see why I had such a sh*tty winter.

freal

I wonder is there any truth to what dr.Mercola said that shellfish contain parasites and viruses that cant be destroyed by cooking. He also mentions that the old testament bans eating shellfish (and pork).

Blossom

Forum Supporter
freal said:
I wonder is there any truth to what dr.Mercola said that shellfish contain parasites and viruses that cant be destroyed by cooking. He also mentions that the old testament bans eating shellfish (and pork).
If Dr.Mercola is selling a remedy for viruses and parasites then it could be just sensationalizing on his part to make more money. I have read that pork should be well cooked because of a strain of hepatitis that swine often carry. Probably a lot of foods especially meat and seafood carry a potential risk when eaten raw. I prefer steak rare and oysters raw myself even knowing I'm taking a slight risk. I guess if I ever got really sick I might change my ways. :(

himsahimsa

Pork caries trichinosis. A parasite that forms cysts in the flesh of it's host. Weather or not it is present in any particular piece of pork is not easy to know and the odds may be low but it's not something you want growing in you.

The Wiki entry is pretty good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

himsahimsa

Raw oysters, clams, muscles, whatever. No. They are filter feeders. They are bags of whatever floats by. Domestic farmed stuff is probably OK but only cooked. The infectious agents in it are killed by heat over 140F for more than 4 minutes.

Typically, "Wild" oysters grow in bays. Bays also host most coastal cities. What runs off from cities? I won't eat them. (Wild Oysters. An oxymoron. Like an Oyster Rodeo.)

Farmed shellfish or actual fish from China might well be grown in places the are contaminated by sewage effluent and industrial waste or god knows what. I wouldn't eat it if it was cooked all day in an autoclave.

NOAA links:
http://www.fishwatch.gov/farmed_seafood/
http://www.fishwatch.gov/farmed_seafood ... e_faqs.htm

This is from Colorado, soon to be an area with fish farms nearby.
http://www.tchd.org/pdfs/vibrio_fact_sheet.pdf

Nice, probably promotional, pics, here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Farmed+ ... 0&bih=1429

More links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoduck
http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvir ... oison.aspx

Blossom

Forum Supporter
himsahimsa said:
Pork caries trichinosis. A parasite that forms cysts in the flesh of it's host. Weather or not it is present in any particular piece of pork is not easy to know and the odds may be low but it's not something you want growing in you.

The Wiki entry is pretty good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
It was hepatitis E that I was thinking about. I'm not sure how true that is though. Great info himsa!

We have many shell fish farms throughout the Puget Sound here in Washington state, I have visited several of them and don't believe they are contaminated with industrial waste. I guess I could be deluding myself, please don't burst my bubble. :shock:

I grew up eating tons of oysters, mussels, clams and scallops... it's a way of life around here and I ENJOY shellfish immensely. While I do prefer mine cooked, my grandma always preferred her oysters raw on the half shell. She and my grandpa ate a wide variety of shellfish several times a week and both lived in perfect health until they were 90 years old. She died of a broken heart two months after my grandpa passed away in 2012. They had been together since they were sixteen and married when they were 20. I don't know of many people that have been together for that long where BOTH are healthy enough to drive and live independently all the way up to the day they died. VIVA LOS MARISCOS!!!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
We have many shell fish farms throughout the Puget Sound here in Washington state, I have visited several of them and don't believe they are contaminated with industrial waste. I guess I could be deluding myself, please don't burst my bubble. :shock:

I grew up eating tons of oysters, mussels, clams and scallops... it's a way of life around here and I ENJOY shellfish immensely. While I do prefer mine cooked, my grandma always preferred her oysters raw on the half shell. She and my grandpa ate a wide variety of shellfish several times a week and both lived in perfect health until they were 90 years old. She died of a broken heart two months after my grandpa passed away in 2012. They had been together since they were sixteen and married when they were 20. I don't know of many people that have been together for that long where BOTH are healthy enough to drive and live independently all the way up to the day they died. VIVA LOS MARISCOS!!!
I bet having a loving and meaningful relationship like your grandparents had is ONE of if not the MOST important ingredient in health. If we could all achieve that wouldn't it be beautiful.

Did Ray mean once a weak for just oysters, or all shellfish? Bc your original question (9.5 years ago lol) to start this thread was about all shellfish.