liver and what to eat with it

mamaherrera

I like my liver, but I'm wondering what kind of carbs do you eat with it???? Any examples of your "liver" meal for the week???

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mexican coke. :mrgreen:

OP
M

mamaherrera

I wish I had some!!! But seriously I'm just about to make my liver, so I could use some help with this, eh?/ Also, liver once a week gives you the 35,000 mg. of vitamin A you need per week, seriously???? My chiro doc put me on a thyroid mix (of minerals basically that has lots of vitamin A.)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I like applesauce with mine.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I love applesauce. Do you get it from the store or make it yourself? I wouldn't mind having it on occasion. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've been purchasing (stockpiling) it when I can find it in glass jars. If it is unsweetened I will add some extra sugar or honey! Santa Cruz organics makes a good one in a glass jar. :D

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Vermont organics applesauce comes in glass and Whole Foods 365 store brand does too.

Spokey

Fava beans and a nice chianti?

I've used a recipe similar to this a few times:
Soak lamb liver in water (I hear 24 hours is good)
Gently fry a chopped onion remove from heat.
Gently fry liver
Add back onions,
1/2 tbsp sugar,
Add small amount of stock maybe a cup, and a couple tablespoons of double cream.
Stir and heat through.
To season salt and pepper, but often instead of salt I add Thai fish sauce.

Serve that with crusty white buttered bread and it's amazing,
but if you're avoiding bread, mashed potatoes are good too.

This recipe also works well with chicken livers, I like to use cider, instead of/as well as, stock then too. Not RP I know, but I'm not hugely strict.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You sound like quite the gourmet chef Spookey! I'm impressed.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and one more question, how do you all get your oysters down???? Because I can handle them with milk and salt and pepper, but the milk is going to compete with the iron and I want my iron too.

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
and one more question, how do you all get your oysters down???? Because I can handle them with milk and salt and pepper, but the milk is going to compete with the iron and I want my iron too.

Most here see reduced absorption of iron as a benefit.

OP
M

mamaherrera

yes but my ferritin has been low and is often related to hairloss. So I'm trying to improve ferritin so that hair will grow stronger,

paper_clips43

mamaherrera said:

I enjoy them plain. I also have tried hot sauce, real wasabi, horseradish, and lemon juice. All are good in my opinion.

I bet they would be good cooked if you just can't handle them raw.

BingDing

I like cocktail sauce with oysters. When I'm on my game I bring my own, just clean ketchup and horseradish, maybe also lemon juice, can't remember.

lvysaur

mamaherrera said:

You ask that as if oysters don't taste good, or something.

I just steam them, then toss them with soy sauce, rice vinegar, some veggies, and just a tiny bit of toasted sesame oil for flavor (It's literally 1/3 of a teaspoon, .66 grams of PUFA, less than that could even work), eat with rice.

Or you could do the white wine garlic shallot basil caper route, with pasta, or potatoes, or whatever.

Liver tastes pretty terrible to me. I like to eat it with a load of onions (seriously, you can't have too much onion with liver, I always use at least one whole large onion), coconut milk, peas, carrots, garam masala, cilantro, and rice. Basically drown out the flavor with a lot of other edible matter, and a lot of spices. Increasing the surface area of the liver chunks works well too, minced liver would probably taste completely inoffensive.

I LOVE oysters and eat them two or three times a week. I dredge mine in organic stone ground rice flour and pan fry in coconut oil. They turn out crispy golden brown and I dip them in home made spicy cocktail sauce.....YUMMY!