Best Way To Get Gelatin?

tara

I can't imagine making sweet fruit juice jelly with the broth - the flavour is quite meaty. I don't think the broth I've cooked would have enough concentrated gelatine in it to firm up very much more liquid. Maybe you've been cooking up a more concentrated broth. I always eat it as a salty savoury soup, usually with well cooked onions, greens, ginger, garlic, sometimes also tomato and/or capsicum. But who knows, maybe you'll come up with a new exciting taste combination. Let us know. :)

loess

I usually use just enough water to cover the bones, and toward the last 45 mins or so of cooking I let it reduce down. Then after you refrigerate it overnight it's nice and jiggly :partydance. It's not that meaty tasting especially if I avoid the layer of meat "sediment" that settles down to the bottom. But I know what you mean, I think I'm gonna try it anyway!

jyb

tara said:
loess said:
Same here, tara. I pull the meat off of the oxtails after ~2.5 hours or so, and try to eat it within a couple of days, and the gelatin within 3 days. One thing I am not clear on is if there is a significant level of iron in the gelatin?
Good question. I don't know. My guess is more of it will be in the solid meat but some in the gelatine too, but that's just a guess.

No, I think if there is any significant amount of iron, it'd have to be from the marrow. The muscle meat around should have a few mg's of iron which is not a huge a lot, so particle of that floating in the liquid would have almost no contribution. But I don't know if the marrow is exposed or contributing at all, if we're talking about a 3-4 hours stew. The bones are almost intact, just the outside starts to be gelatinous.So my guess is that the liquid itself doesn't have much iron.

loess

How much of a priority do you all put on obtaining bones from pastured-raised animals for broth? Whenever I stop into Asian grocery shops, there are almost always plentiful shelves of oxtails, beef knuckles, chicken necks, etc...and cheap too. Much cheaper than the $6.99/lb that the Whole Foods here likes to charge for bones, and even then you don't know if they are 100% grass-fed or only partially grass-fed and then finished on grain. Anyway every time I go to the Asian market I stand there for a split second and think about buying some oxtails but I always get sketched out about it. I have noticed that I feel a lot better overall when I make bone broth as opposed to times when I am only using the gelatin powder, but clean & reasonably priced sources of bones are hard to come by on a consistent basis. All of the butcher shops around here are focused on grain fed beef so I don't bother going around to them looking for oxtails and such. There are local farmers who I have bought oxtails from before but they rarely have any available. Anyway not to be a meat snob, but I am pretty staunch about eating animals that are raised with care and fed right. I am starting to think that I should buy more bone-in cuts like lamb shanks to get the gelatin...I don't eat meat very often and tend to get most of my protein from farmers cheese, powdered gelatin, shrimp/scallops, oysters and milk.

LucyL

loess said:
How much of a priority do you all put on obtaining bones from pastured-raised animals for broth?

A lot - for humans. The pets get grocery store animals :-D. We try to buy all our meat directly from farmers in the area. I ask for soup bones with our cuts, and any bones can be saved for gelatin later. If we have to get meat from the grocery store, I don't save the bones.

marcar72

Magnesium Glycinate is a no brainer if one supplements magnesium. It yields about 2 grams of glycine per 100% RDA of magnesium. (2 pills) It's also one of the most highly bioavailable magnesium supplements one can get. This means maximum absorption with little to no GI distress. :2cents

jyb

marcar72 said:
Magnesium Glycinate is a no brainer if one supplements magnesium. It yields about 2 grams of glycine per 100% RDA of magnesium. (2 pills) It's also one of the most highly bioavailable magnesium supplements one can get. This means maximum absorption with little to no GI distress. :2cents

At least one forum member has not done well on that supplement. I'm thinking I get a lot of Mg from coffee, so by caution I don't supplement. I make an exception for K2. Also, an occasional MgCl foot bath.

G

gummybear

DMF said:
What is the best way to incorporate gelatin into one's diet? 'Knox" brand and/or other "instant mixes"? Just how real, natural or good can an instant mix be? Sure a real broth made directly from whatever animal involved would, I suppose, be the best choice, but it's probably expensive and my budget is tight.
Ray Peat's article is a real eye-opener for me and I thank him and his knowledge immensely.

Gummybears baby

Slappy Hands

Hello!

I have a technical question regarding gelatin, if anyone is able to answer? Basically i want to know how much protein is in an heaped tablespoon of thick gelatin?

In the spirit of reciprocation, I'll just say that my gelatin intake works like this.

I buy a a month's worth of chicken feet from the Asian market and slow cook 1 bag per week for 3-4 hours with some kale and broccoli. I then pour it into a double quart mason jar, fridge it so it turns semi solid (no drips or dribbles) and just scoop it out by the teaspoon throughout the week. It allows me to put 3-4 tbs into everything from coffee to smoothies to milk all day for a week, for the cost of like £2.50 (I heat most things so it liquifies and I don't even notice it)

I also buy a chicken for me and my house mate once every week or so and use the carcass for bone broth (scooping off the pufas) and then use that to make a root soup for another 2 quart mason jar that will supplement me for 4-5 days.

On top of this, I also have some Great Lakes gelatin (red tin) for emergencies. It's a lot more runny than the gelatin I make myself (my home made stuff has more consistency than jelly)...which is why I'm asking for an estimate on the protein content =)