Milk Chocolate

Jennifer

Thanks for the reply mt_dreams and pboy. After writing my original comment, I was looking on iherb for cocoa beans and came across this company that makes brewing cocoa:

http://www.iherb.com/Crio-Bru-Brewed-Co ... 40-g/49289

I also came across peeled beans doing a google search. It seems that they're raw though. I would imagine that roasting gives the beans a more pronounced flavor? Or does roasting even matter since I'll be brewing them? If the skin is removed, I would think this removes a fair amount of the bitterness? I'd be okay if the cocoa is slightly bitter like coffee if it means more of the bean's goodness. I'm really excited to try this. :D

Thanks for the info, mt_dreams and pboy! :)

tara

I read lots of labels of chocolate bars in a couple of my local supermarkets and local health food store. All the Green and Blacks and Lindts and standard brands and local fancy brands had soy lecithin except one.
There was one new local brand I hadn't seen before that didn't list soy lecithin. It cost more than $110/kg. Not happening. What I usually buy costs $14-17/kg. I'm still eating a bit of it, not because it's perfect, but because it's convenient food to carry.

It may be common practice for large companies to make different batches with different ingredients for different markets, either in the same or different factories? Seems to have happened with the toothpaste in another thread.

G

gummybear

I bought some chocolate from vivani, no soy lechithin and delicious. I have tried the milk chocolate and the 70% but I plan to eat them all! Can you get...vivani where you live tara. It is worth trying I promise. I found them in the ecological section in my supermarket hidden away like some treasury.

tara

gummybear said:
Can you get...vivani where you live tara.
Will check speciality foods areas in supermarket, but since the other fancy ones were all together I'd be surpprised. Will report if I find it. Online $150-200/kg. Not happening.

Jennifer

I'm not a big chocolate eater, especially when it comes to plain chocolates, but I do like it every now and then if it has unique flavorings and textures added. Two of my favorites are:

http://www.vitacost.com/equal-exchange- ... h-3-5-oz-2

http://www.vitacost.com/alter-eco-organ ... e-47-cocoa

The first bar linked has these mint crunchies in a smooth dark chocolate. I love mint and if you do too, you'll probably really like this one.

The second bar linked has these tiny toffee pieces and coconut bits all throughout and the chocolate itself seems more like a milk chocolate. It reminds me of Toblerone.

Both bars are free of lecithin and have really clean ingredients.

Dutchie had mentioned to me about Vivani, specifically the white chocolate, mango and coconut bar. Have you tried this one, gummybear?

Dutchie

Currently I'm also loving the Chili Chocolate from Vivani and Espresso/Coffee Chocolate from a brand called Seeds&Beans. (Not all their bars are soyfree,but this one is.)

Thanks for this thread. Will check if the 85% lindt sold here is the same in the usa with no soy lecithin.

For chocolate, whittakers of new zealand taste really great but has soy lecithin.