Coffee and Chocolate- fermented?

Nicole

Hello!

I couldn't find this topic anywhere and hoping someone can help!

Ray Peat isn't a fan of fermented foods, but chocolate and coffee are fermented.

Can anyone point me to info that explains why these are exceptions?

Thank you :)

pboy

coffee usually isn't, its just sweated. Chocolate almost always is unless you get it straight from the pod...or extreme specialty dried beans. However...the peel is removed after the fermenting, so they are low in most fermentation by products. Some brands smell like they have alcohol, bacterial acids, some are clean. The conching process used by most chocolate makers vaporizes almost or all of these away. Its not a live or cultured food in the same sense that most are, but the fruit pulp on top is partially fermented, and some stuff gets through into the center bean, but only trace amounts. Most of the changing in flavor and color of the bean during the fermentation is due to it sprouting then dying, its natural enzymatic activity

OP
N

Nicole

Amazing pboy! Thank you for this great info! I crave chocolate (eat organic no soy brand) all the time but it does make me feel sick. So I was trying to figure out what the deal was and if it was related to caffeine, fermentation/candida etc. I recall Ray P. saying that chocolate made him hungry and it does the complete opposite for me - I can go many hours after eating chocolate and not desire food.