aquaman

Regarding Mittir's posts about apple juice, I just found a brand called Duskin's which is sold in Budgens in glass bottles. They say they don't sell to supermarkets though so it may be a local London thing.

They do various, single variety juices - they do 35 different varieties. And taste bloomin' good!

IN budgens they had braeburn, bramley, jonagold, gala and Katy.

Mittir

Ripe Gala apple has about 70 percent fructose. I do not know about fructose
content of other cultivars mentioned here. According to wkipedia
jonagold and bramleys are not sweet kind. I think the source of
major benefit of Apple is it's high fructose content.

OP
A

aquaman

maybe you can make better sense of this than me?

1602430f1.jpg

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v60/ ... gure-title

it's from here: www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v60/n9/full/1602430a.html

Total sugar content of the cultivars Gala, Elstar, Idared, Golden Delicious, Braeburn and Fuji ranged between 115 and 150 g/kg; the cultivar Jonagold had – with 183 g/kg fresh-weight (FW) – a higher sugar concentration (Figure 1). Among the single components, fructose and sucrose are the major items (Figure 1). The sucrose concentration of Jonagold was about 85 g/kg, higher than all the sucrose concentrations of the other cultivars. Jonagold and Fuji had higher fructose concentrations than Braeburn and Golden Delicious, followed by Idared, Elstar and Gala. Glucose concentration ranged between 5 and 20 g/kg in order from Braeburn, Fuji, Idared, Gala, Jonagold and Elstar to Golden Delicious (Figure 1). The highest sorbitol concentration was measured at about 6 g/kg in Fuji, Jonagold, Braeburn and Elstar

Mittir

It is odd that they did not add a table with break down of sugar content,just the graph.
A graph without source data. From rough estimation it seems like Jonagold
has close to 80 percent fructose.

pboy

hey mittir (or anyone else), im sort of afraid to try juicing apples cause of their high fructose/glucose ratio. Theres many fruits that cause diarreah or other gastric distress, but I don't know if its only because of the sorbitol/mannitol or if the fructose/glucose ratio is actually an issue. Apple seems like it could be a nice alternative to OJ sometimes, but im basically afraid to try it due to the fructose reason

Mittir

@pboy

I used to follow a low fructose diet after reading all those garbage in health
blog spheres, fructose malabsorption. Later it turned out to be problem of
pectin and under ripe fruits. Interestingly most of the high fructose foods like
apple, pears, watermelon and mangoes are high in pectin or problematic fibers
and starchy in under ripe forms. I have a very sensitive stomach and i have no
problem with pectin free commercial apple juice. I have mild problem with
well ripened mangoes. Rarely found ripened apple,pears or watermelons in stores.

OJ is quite high in pectin and sweet ripe oranges don't give me any problem.
You can experiment with pectin free apple juice and see how gut reacts to that.
I had to try about 15 brands before i found two that tastes good and beneficial.
I think it's the low fructose apple juice does not show major benefit.
If they use spoiled apple then fungul residue can be problematic.

After reading RP's two recent articles on sugar i think fructose is very special.

Mittir

I forgot to add that i add baking soda to neutralize the acid. Though apple juice
is not as acidic as orange juice, neutralizing the acid makes it gut friendly.

superhuman

apple juice tastes amazing.
Wonder wich one i should try buying.
Like what apples are the best ones in terms of highest fructose content etc

pboy

yea it does taste amazing....that's whats beckoning me back to it...there was one brand at a health food store I used to work at that was clear and much better than the others...I believe it was this brand
http://www.martinellis.com/products/org ... j010.shtml

it claims a high niacin and riboflavin though lower potassium than other apple juices, probably the variety. Theres so many varieties, but I think the lighter red sweet ones are the best as opposed to the less sweet yellow/green more acidic ones, though not sure

Blossom

Forum Supporter
pboy said:
yea it does taste amazing....that's whats beckoning me back to it...there was one brand at a health food store I used to work at that was clear and much better than the others...I believe it was this brand
http://www.martinellis.com/products/org ... j010.shtml

it claims a high niacin and riboflavin though lower potassium than other apple juices, probably the variety. Theres so many varieties, but I think the lighter red sweet ones are the best as opposed to the less sweet yellow/green more acidic ones, though not sure
That's the one I've been drinking and it is very nice imo. Mittir mentioned that it seems to be made from pippin apples. I'm in the U.S.

Daimyo

Hi guys and gals,

If you are afraid to juice under ripe apples, just get a refractometer. It is a device used by winemakers to asses how much sugar is in the grape. You can measure sugar (and minerals) content of most fresh plant saps and juices.

You can get cheep optical refractometers form ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-0-32 ... 5d4ea2752b

By checking the Brix reading (that's what refractometer will show you) you can asses the sugar level in certain fruit or vegetables. You could also asses is certain food ripe or not and is it nutrient dense or not...
This is Brix chart, you can use it to asses quality of fruit and vegetables:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bpS4-kAdJpU/T ... Chart2.jpg

As you can see on the chart if apples are bellow 9 you shouldn't really eat them as they low in nutrients and don't have too much sugar in them.

Mittir

I have just noticed that Lavantaler Bananenapfel apple has almost 100 percent
fructose. That would solve the problem of finding pure fructose.
Here is another study i posted before with fructose content of different types of apple.
http://www.revistas2.uepg.br/index.php/ ... le/850/733

It seems like 60 percent is the least amount of fructose in all the cultivars
they tested and this nature's article shows the same pattern.
That Brazilian study found fructose content changing from year to year.
There is no definitive way to find out exact fructose content of apple juice
we are drinking unless we test it in lab.

Granny smith and melrose apple shows 60 percent in one table and in one year
gala and fuji show 62 percent. In other years gala and fuji has about
70 percent. If we consider the lowest amount of fructose it is still
60:40 ratio much better than 50:50.

Jennifer

Daimyo said:
Hi guys and gals,

If you are afraid to juice under ripe apples, just get a refractometer. It is a device used by winemakers to asses how much sugar is in the grape. You can measure sugar (and minerals) content of most fresh plant saps and juices.

You can get cheep optical refractometers form ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-0-32 ... 5d4ea2752b

By checking the Brix reading (that's what refractometer will show you) you can asses the sugar level in certain fruit or vegetables. You could also asses is certain food ripe or not and is it nutrient dense or not...
This is Brix chart, you can use it to asses quality of fruit and vegetables:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bpS4-kAdJpU/T ... Chart2.jpg

As you can see on the chart if apples are bellow 9 you shouldn't really eat them as they low in nutrients and don't have too much sugar in them.

I agree, Daimyo! I use a refractometer to check the Brix of my fruits and my urine. I notice high Brix fruit digest perfectly for me and don't cause my sugars to crash, whereas low Brix fruit crash my sugars and cause major digestive upset.

I've been curious about something ever since doing RBTI and I'm hoping you might have an answer. Do you notice when your crops have a high Brix that they're naturally pest resistant? I'm not sure if you're familiar with Carey Reams, but I read during my RBTI days that Reams claimed that highly mineralized plants are naturally pest resistant because bugs lack a liver to metabolize sugar properly and too much can kill them. And with high Brix plants containing higher amounts of sugar, the bugs know to leave them alone and go after the low Brix plants/weeds instead.

pboy

beautiful landscape in your avatar Jennifer

high brix usually indicates healthy and ripe

Jennifer

pboy said:
beautiful landscape in your avatar Jennifer

high brix usually indicates healthy and ripe

Thank you, pboy! :)

Yeah, the views from New Hampshire's White Mountains are incredible. Definitely worth the hike!

Daimyo

Yes Jennifer,

plants grown in healthy soil can can protect themselves from pests. I had a garden in UK and I was using organic mulch, so I had tons of snails. Until I balanced my soil with bonemeal for phosphorus I had to use organic snail pellets. Unfortunately they were also killing my earthworms. When I "balanced my soil" snails and slugs stopped eating my greens. It's no bull****. They were breeding on my beds, but they weren't eating my stuff. I just had to wash off snail mucus before I was eating them (that's quite difficult!).

I have written about it here:
http://designerecosystems.com/2014/09/2 ... -and-farm/

I have certainly heard about Carey Reams.

If you are into gardening or farming there are 2 books you could read about this topic:
1. The Ideal Soil by Michael Astera
2. The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient-Dense food by Steve Solomon with Erica Reinheimer

The first one was especially great, as I finally found a book that tells me how much of certain minerals and elements to put in the garden/field/pasture.

Jennifer

Daimyo said:
Yes Jennifer,

plants grown in healthy soil can can protect themselves from pests. I had a garden in UK and I was using organic mulch, so I had tons of snails. Until I balanced my soil with bonemeal for phosphorus I had to use organic snail pellets. Unfortunately they were also killing my earthworms. When I "balanced my soil" snails and slugs stopped eating my greens. It's no bull****. They were breeding on my beds, but they weren't eating my stuff. I just had to wash off snail mucus before I was eating them (that's quite difficult!).

I have written about it here:
http://designerecosystems.com/2014/09/2 ... -and-farm/

I have certainly heard about Carey Reams.

That's very cool! I questioned how much of what was said about Reams was true. I also read about him growing a high Brix watermelon that he entered in a contest and won. He took that very same watermelon and entered it in another contest three years later and won again. He claimed that high Brix plants don't rot, they dehydrate.

Thank you for the link. I'll definitely check it out after I'm done here.

Daimyo said:
If you are into gardening or farming there are 2 books you could read about this topic:
1. The Ideal Soil by Michael Astera
2. The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient-Dense food by Steve Solomon with Erica Reinheimer

The first one was especially great, as I finally found a book that tells me how much of certain minerals and elements to put in the garden/field/pasture.

Thank you for recommending those books, Daimyo. That's very helpful. I was preparing to start my own garden a couple years back. I purchased Reams gardening book from the RBTI practitioner whose care I was under. My dad built me raised beds. I had acquired my soil testing packet from Ag Labs, got my seeds and even joined a high Brix gardening group on the Yahoo forums, but I realized I just physically couldn't do it at the time due to my back injury. I'm hoping to start next spring now that I'm stronger. I have a few different varieties of melon I want to try, particularly the Charentais variety.

Back
Top Bottom