How Can U Balance Phosphate From Meat With Calcium?

yoshiesque

I realize even eating 1-2 serves of meat/fish per day can stuff things up with calcium/phosphate ratio. Having a look at the phosphate content in other foods like eggs and oysters, it seems they even have a phosphate content of around 200mg or more, when eating a decent serve (75g - 150g).

And then on top of that milk contains a good 200mg+ phosphate too!

SO if I eat a serve of meat/oysters/eggs/fish, I have to drink like 3 cups of milk just to get the phosphate/calcium balance back (assuming one cup of milk has around 300mg calcium and 250mg phosphate).

It seems like egg shell calcium is an absolute must if we are to get the phosphate/calcium balance right, as i assume egg shell has no phosphate. Cheese too has phosphate, of course theres more calcium than phosphate, BUT not enough to balance out foods like meat/fish/eggs etc.

How do you guys manage this? Right now im drinking around 4 cups of milk, 1 serve of yoghurt, 50g of parmesan cheese. that brings me to around 2g of calcium a day. but i do have 1 serve of fish and 1 serve of meat.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've just been having 1/4 tsp of homemade eggshell calcium with my meals that contain meat, fish or eggs. If I have a low calcium cheese like cottage cheese or farmers cheese I will include 1/4 tsp eggshell calcium as well. When I was eating Greek yogurt I'd have an 1/8 tsp eggshell calcium with that because it does contain more calcium than farmers or cottage cheese but less than milk and most other hard cheeses. I'm sure there are other ideas people will add.

loess

I do what Blossom does, adding a bit of eggshell calcium with higher phosphate foods. Wanted to add that when I first started with the eggshell, it didn't sit well with me, felt sort of bloated and strange. Since I have been eating it with a bit of added fat (usually coconut oil), I tolerate it just fine. Somewhere I remember seeing Danny Roddy mention a similar thing with regard to fat+eggshell. I'm not sure if it has do to with the coconut oil or not, I discontinued using aspirin around the same time that I added the fat to the eggshell, so it could be the aspirin that was causing discomfort.

magnesiumania

Whats the ideal ratio? If you want more calsium than phosphate, why not do a supplement. I do Carolyn Deans calsium chloride at the moment....

lampofred

I think kale and spinach and some other veggies have a high calcium content, so maybe you could eat those alongside small portions of meat.