Gelatin And Endotoxins?

Daimyo said:
How does vegetarians get they glycine? Or they don't..?

I think just like they get all the other protein. Plants?

Zachs

Yea, glycine, like all aminos are in most plant foods in varying amounts. Since the body produces glycine, it is more important for vegetarians to have a diet low in methionine than to have a diet high in glycine.

treelady

My problems with gelatin just got worse and worse.
- First I just felt bloated from it
- Then I got diarrhea from both the Great lakes kinds
- So I boiled the Great Lakes gelatin hydrolysate in the green can and that worked for a while...
- Then I got diarrhea even with that
:carrot2 CARROTS :carrot2 seem to be the answer. I take a couple carrots and make sticks and have a few sticks several times a day. And... Now I can use the gelatin. :) Again Ray Peat is right. It could be the gelatin has endotoxins but if your colon is healthy you can handle it.

Update: 11/21/14 :(
I am still on the carrots but gelatin problems have returned so I'm off it. ...Oh well, at least I can tolerate coffee and milk.

treelady said:
My problems with gelatin just got worse and worse.
- First I just felt bloated from it
- Then I got diarrhea from both the Great lakes kinds
- So I boiled the Great Lakes gelatin hydrolysate in the green can and that worked for a while...
- Then I got diarrhea even with that
:carrot2 CARROTS :carrot2 seem to be the answer. I take a couple carrots and make sticks and have a few sticks several times a day. And... Now I can use the gelatin. :) Again Ray Peat is right.

It could be the gelatin has endotoxins but if your colon is healthy you can handle it.

Try gelatin in coffee, I noticed they complement each other.

treelady

Such_Saturation said:

I was just thinking about doing that...;) I can't wait for tomorrow morning. :coffee

Suikerbuik

I don't think there are siginificant amounts of endotoxins in gelatin, but in some contexts some bacteria and also sometimes we ourselve produce gelatinases. Possibly gelatin stimulates the production of these enzymes, which (these gelatinases) can modulate the extra cellular matrix leading to increased LPS because of altered gut lining and increased bacteria counts.

Amazoniac

Maybe I would try gelatine again, if I could get my hands on some of that low endotoxin stuff. I bet it would be expensive though...

Biol Pharm Bull. 2007 Feb;30(2):237-41.
Development of low endotoxin gelatin for regenerative medicine.
Kanayama Y1, Aoki C, Sakai Y.
Author information
Abstract

The basic concept of tissue engineering, an actively applied technology in regenerative medicine, is the coordination between cells, scaffolds, and proliferation factors. Collagen and gelatin are materials that have mostly been used as scaffolds because of their excellent affinity for cells, they are biodegradable, and their ability to form gel. However, very few of the collagen or gelatin preparations used as tissue engineering material have been prepared with low levels of endotoxin, which may trigger fever, shock and a fall in blood pressure even in very minute quantities. Therefore we decided to decrease the content of endotoxin in gelatin so that this biomaterial is not harmful to the body but still maintains its properties, namely, bioaffinity and biodegradation for use in the fields of cell culture and regenerative medicine. In this paper, we describe a method whereby endotoxin could be removed from gelatin solution by using an ultrafiltration membrane with a molecular weight cut-off of 100 kDa and low endotoxin gelatin, endotoxin activity in 0.1% gelatin solution was below 0.03 EU/ml, was obtained as the resulting filtrate solution.
I don't know how badderer it can be from homemaked: they dehydrate hides or bones for chipping, so bacterial growth must be stopped here and only return after being hydrated again, but this happens along with heat. I don't know if they scald them prior to that to remove impurities, doing it after grinding (to compact them for transport) is impractical.

Last edited:

yerrag

I had coffee in gelatin instead last week. A lot more gelatin intake this way. Coffee jello tastes good.

geraldxy

I can only say that my IBS-D stopped after taking every morning some gelatin. I'm acutally able to eat tons of sugar without digestion problems which would normally give me simply diarrhea. The gelatin does something to me, something good. My lower back pain is also slowly resolving. I hope gelatin was the missing puzzle-piece of my health problems and maybe i will even try to up my gelatin dosage.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals