Eggs: soft boiling or poaching?

Amazoniac

A lot of people here consume eggs on a regular basis. The discussion is not new: soft boiling or poaching?

In both methods the yolk remains intact and is not overcooked.
Inside the egg shell there's naturally present water, so we're not comparing dry heat versus moist heat.
In Dr Peat's guidelines there's an underlying sense of convenience, in this regard, soft boiling is more convenient.
But we're looking for optimal..
In poaching you have absolute control over the process. Something that you don't have when boiling; all you have is to estimate considering different freshness, weather temperature, size, etc.
On the other hand you miss a great part of the whites. Some people even discart some before poaching to prevent going all over the place.
Putting inside a bag for poaching is not an option we all know why..
Both of them are ready about the same time.
In boiling the whites are distributed evenly protecting the yolk.

I personally don't like putting vinegar, baking soda, or anything else. Creating the vortex doesn't help a lot.

tara

Poached, soft boiled, fried sunny-side up are all good. Boiled is better for carrying. Otherwise, I'd just go with what you feel like.

marcar72

Raw egg yolk shooters. Just wash the outside of the shell as if you are washing your hands while holding the egg to greatly reduce the chance of getting salmonella. (1 in 30,000 chance if I remember correctly)

Then crack the egg over a glass or sink and transfer the egg yolk back and forth between half shells to rid it of the egg white. (raw egg white binds biotin, not much nutrition other than some protein in the egg white)

Once you got mostly just egg yolk left in a half shell just tip your head back and shoot it down the hatch. Most of the time you'll swallow the egg yolk whole without even tasting it. :2cents

loess

You can also roll it around on a cloth or a paper towel to get every last bit of the white off of the yolk. I did that for a while but didn't like wasting paper towels, so I figured out that after separating out the majority of the white doing the back-and-forth-between-the-half-shells thing, I could roll the yolk down my forearm starting at my wrist, and it leaves a trail of the remainder of the egg white residue...by the time it gets to my elbow it's clean as a whistle!

pboy

as long as you don't puncture the yolk, and it doesn't turn overly hard, its probably a good method. I dont know if nutrients leech through the yolk film into the water though...probably nut much, but i would be careful not to use a lot of water and cook to long and stir it and what not. And yea, the egg white is near irrelivent in terms of nutrition and has the potential indigestible parts of the egg that give a lot of people GI upset or gas. It does have a lot of selenium which is really the only positive I can see from it, but most Peat eaters don't need that extra bit considering what else theyre eating, unless eggs were your only protein source. Im actually not eating eggs so I cant give you any nifty tips

Jenn

Raw then. 1 egg to 8 oz of milk or half and half to 2 TBS sugar with a we bit of cinnamon or nutmeg or mace or allspice or homemade vanilla. Oh yeah!

I don't separate. The albumen in the white can be beneficial.

LucyL

Amazoniac said:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24584862

"kampung" is evidently the Malaysian word for "free range". Interesting. I learned something :):

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

If you want to poach an egg without it falling apart, I tried once and it worked. Using one medium leaf of cabbage, placed on a dotted spoon with a bit of hot water in it. Put the egg in there and submerge, after it's held together remove the leaf.
Everything needs to be done fast, otherwise the leaf will become loose and won't hold the egg.

Zachs

Poaching is pretty easy, get the water to a rolling boil and than take off the stove till it stops, turn down stve top and return to heat, create the vortex and slowely drop egg in without creating a splash and let the vortex do its work. Should take less than 3 minutes for perfect egg. Its doing more than 2-3 in one session that gets tricky, keeping the water at perfect temp.

Personally im not worried about oxidized cholesterol, i scramble quite a bit because i make banana pancakes and french toast, just keep cook times and heat down.

If you just heat the egg in lots of butter (NOT coconut oil, it will fall apart) it comes out poached or fried with complete control over the outcome, and tastes better than a plain egg.