THoughts on Popcorn

Velve921

What are everyones thoughts on popcorn? I have heard that cooking coconut oil can be acceptable; however, is the popcorn kernal actually good for the body?

Thank you in advance for all thoughts.

tara

My guess is that it's probably not great. A bit mechanically rough on the innards, the starch not as easily digested as if it had been boiled, the little corn oil itself PUFA, and the protein relatively inaccessible (obviously not nixtamalised). However, unless your digestion is having trouble, its probably not going to be a big deal to eat now and then. I popped some for my kids a couple of days ago, with melted butter over them. Saturated fat with it should make it a bit easier on the system. There are worse things. Many years I used to eat freshly popped corn for breakfast, with milk like other breakfast cereals. Maybe not great, but better than some of the alternatives - no non-food additives.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Is there a significant amout of PUFA popcorn? Is there a difference depending on the kernel? Would it best be consumed with fructose?

tara

They must be squeezing corn oil out of something.

Didn't find popping corn, but yellow corn listed as 5g fat/100g, of which 1g saturated. I don't know if all or most of it is in the skin. No idea if pop corn has more or less. I think the poppable corn has a stronger skin, allowing it to get to higher pressure before it explodes.
Peat has recommended eating sugar/fructose containing foods with starchy ones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals