Coca Cola Life

I thought Coca-Cola WAS for the calories?

Ray Peat said to watch out that the Stevia is just pure extract.

gretchen

It's horrible. Same aftertaste as most diet drinks and the stevia tanks your blood sugar an hour later.

Stevia is actually pretty bad. I found these articles explaining what's wrong with it:
http://thedetoxdiva.com/the-dark-side-of-stevia/

http://empoweredsustenance.com/is-stevia-bad-for-you/

For those of you with a propensity for kidney stones, leaky gut, autism, or arthritis, stevia is a high oxalate plant. Lowering your oxalates (green leafy cruciferous vegetables, especially when eaten raw, are examples of high oxalate vegetables) could boost your ability to heal.

Our bodies are not designed or evolved to handle calorie-free sweeteners – be it natural or artificial. Experiencing a sweet taste from a food that is not going to provide glucose confounds our body’s sugar-handling process. Kate, from one of my favorite health blogs Nutrition By Nature, explains how eating a sugar-free sweetener like stevia can trick the body into a state of hypoglycemia:

Stevia does not support the synthesis of glycogen by the body. When you eat fruit, raw honey, and even, (“eek!”) cane sugar, the balanced sources of both glucose and fructose are synthesized by the liver into glycogen (glucose stores). Because stevia produces no glucose it does not aid in glycogen synthesis.

When glucose dips in the body, glycogen is mobilized (broken down) to meet energy requirements. When there is no sufficient glycogen present (such as in a low carb, no sugar diet) the stress hormones are released, as discussed.

Glycogen is also responsible for converting inactive thyroid hormone (T4) into active thyroid hormone (T3). If glycogen is not present in sufficient quantities, this does not happen. If this does not happen you have thyroid dysfunction. This leads to hypothyroidism where weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, lack of clarity, and many other symptoms.

Peater

I like it, but only have it occasionally. There's no such thing as a 'free' lunch after all.

I think the tongue can recognize real carbohydrates from fake tastes.

Back
Top Bottom