Anybody Tried Eating Traditionally Prepared Grains & Legumes On A Peat Diet?

barbwirehouse

If you don't know what I mean by "traditionally prepared", watch this video or read this article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3RcU5Hhqg

http://www.westonaprice.org/beginner-vi ... sarah-pope

Peat's thoughts on preparing grains and legumes

Traditional "proper preparation" methods used throughout the world to render them less harmful involved using alkaline mediums such as wood ash (as opposed to "acidic" as Sally Fallon suggests) and "lime" as in calcium oxide (as opposed to "lime or lemon juice" as Sally Fallon asserts). Research shows that that these methods will convert some of the tryptophan to niacin. Using whey would be especially ineffective as well as problematic due to the tryptophan.

4peatssake

Mittir I think had experience with slaked lime. You could look up his posts by searching the forum for "slaked lime."

I don't know of anyone else offhand.
I think the vast majority of forum members avoid or limit grains and legumes.

OP
B

barbwirehouse

4peatssake said:
Mittir I think had experience with slaked lime. You could look up his posts by searching the forum for "slaked lime."

I don't know of anyone else offhand.
I think the vast majority of forum members avoid or limit grains and legumes.

Yea, I wouldn't make them a large part of your diet. Apparently Peat believes white rice and masa hara are the least harmful grains and are fine for occasional consumption. Not sure the validity of that statement however.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I made a medieval Irish recipe recently that called for steel cut oats. The oats were soaked overnight and then simmered in milk and chicken stock for 40 minutes. I guess that would count as traditional preparation. I've also made sour dough bread from a starter my neighbor gave me which was delicious. Corn bread made with masa harina flour is pretty good too. That's the extent of my traditional grain preparations but I find them to be a nice addition to my diet occasionally. Edit: I took out the name of the recipe because it was actually referring to the beef stew that the oat dish was served with.

Aubreyt22

My sister and I make our own sourdough all the time. You can buy a starter online or if you know anyone that does it i'd be willing to guarantee that they would give you a cup. I could never eat grains that contained gluten because of how upset my stomach would become. I now eat sourdough on a daily basis and have no problems!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Aubreyt22, :welcome

I REALLY want to try some good sourdough bread. I have terrible problems with gluten also.

tara

While I was beginning to learn and implement Peat's ideas, I was still making pancakes out of qinoa or buckwheat for breakfast. I'd soak the whole grains for about 24 hrs, strain, blend, and then add eggs, salt and water to get a consistency that would work. I enjoyed them with fruit/stewed fruit/jam and sometimes cream.
I didn't make a definite decision to stop, I just did it less and less often as I moved to Peat-inspired less starch and grains and more sugar and fruit. I haven't made them for many months now, because they haven't seemed worth the trouble compared with my current breakfast.

fyo

I don't have sources on hand, but I looked into the research a lot, and found that traditional preparation dramatically increases nutrient availability and generally improves the food a lot. Also, it seems almost every population had various essential preparation processes in their grains that today are not utilized nearly as much.

In particular, there were 4 studies where active celiac patients were fed well-fermented sourdough. The bread was found to have negligible amounts of gluten (something like 20 ppm), and upon observation of the eater's guts, there were no symptoms of any sort.

Peat described how sprouted grains consume their own toxic factors, even altering the phosphate/calcium balance, and basically turn into little ripe baby plants. Fermentation and other such methods can go even further.

Keep in mind that milk pretty much already accomplishes all this, as far as I can see, but I may be off here.

Newbophyte

As a Celiac, the Sourdough thing interests me. I used to make my lunch starting around age 6 or so; and the 'club sandwiches' often had homegrown pickles and sourdough bread. Perhaps there was something to that choice? Anyway, wanted to chime in; I'm trying to find Hominy for Pozole, which, besides being the real deal Mexican dish of choice for a cold winter's day, is also a dish that sports corn treated with Lye. My question, since I can't find either hominy or lye, is whether I can use baking soda for a similar effect. Anyway, check out the recipe. It's delicious!

Newbophyte said:
As a Celiac, the Sourdough thing interests me. I used to make my lunch starting around age 6 or so; and the 'club sandwiches' often had homegrown pickles and sourdough bread. Perhaps there was something to that choice? Anyway, wanted to chime in; I'm trying to find Hominy for Pozole, which, besides being the real deal Mexican dish of choice for a cold winter's day, is also a dish that sports corn treated with Lye. My question, since I can't find either hominy or lye, is whether I can use baking soda for a similar effect. Anyway, check out the recipe. It's delicious!

You can but it takes days, lye or not you must start with the dried grains and must grind them down after the process.

tara

uuy8778yyi said:
still full of pufa though ? or not ?

I think a lot of the oil is removed when it's refined to white flour.
100 g unenriched white flour
0.8g PUFA
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cer ... sta/9257/2

I'd read that as a slice or two of bread wouldn't be a big deal (from a PUFA PoV), but a whole a loaf would be getting up there.

tara

uuy8778yyi said:
would pure white bread have the least phytic acid and pufa then ?
From the flour itself, yes, but it depends what else is added. Many commercial white breads have added vegetable oils, according to the labels on the ones around here, anyway. Baking your own wiht a goood sourdough, you can avoid such additives.

jyb

uuy8778yyi said:

The problems of flour go far beyond pufa, plant chemicals and the usual starch problems. The alleged effects on the gut lining are unrelated to the pufa content.

tara

jyb said:
uuy8778yyi said:

The problems of flour go far beyond pufa, plant chemicals and the usual starch problems. The alleged effects on the gut lining are unrelated to the pufa content.

Indeed. Eg. the gluten is too hard on many people's guts. They have a high phosphate to calcium ratio. And some people find they do better avoiding starch. Long ferments help reduce some of the downsides, but don't totally eliminate them.

tara

uuy8778yyi said:
all starch ?

are potatoes okay ?
They have pros and cons. Some people do well with lots of spuds, others do best avoiding the, or juicing, removing as much starch as poss, and cooking the remaining liquid.
Depends what you are trying to do.

uuy8778yyi

using potatoes as a food source, perhpas a main one ?

bad idea ?

i avoid fruit because of my weak teeth

tara

Works for some people.
I think teeth like a strong metabolism and good vitamin and mineral status.
What do you want your food to do for you, other than provide calories?

Do you have a thread summarising what you are here for, what your health is like, what you are hoping to improve on, what you are eating? A scatter-gun set of questions is unlikely to get you as meaningful a set of responses as a fuller picture of your context.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom