Coca-Cola Mexican Coke

G

gummybear

I'm starting this thread to clear some issues I have with coke.

Can it actually be healthy for us?

Why has it been bashed for so many years?

Nick810

All I know is.... coca cola gets me energized and hot, in fact since drinking it daily for the past week or so, I'd say it has had a huge positive effect on me!

Maybe if I put some salt into it too, it would help.

Only problem is I can only buy USA Coke here (HFCS) so I've ordered some Mexi Cokes online.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

gummybear

Nickje said:
All I know is.... coca cola gets me energized and hot, in fact since drinking it daily for the past week or so, I'd say it has had a huge positive effect on me!

Maybe if I put some salt into it too, it would help.

Only problem is I can only buy USA Coke here (HFCS) so I've ordered some Mexi Cokes online.

It is tasty no doubt. I take some salt in it to have my daily ration of salt. Doesn't taste too bad.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Anytime I take salt, I just put it in a little bit of water that way it wont interfere with the taste of whatever I am drinking like coke, or orange juice.

Ray-Z

Greetings, most excellent Peaty peoplez...

I thought I'd share this website, which purports to show where in the U.S. you can find Mexi-coke:
AdF.ly

Don't know yet whether the info on the website is accurate. Looks like the BevMo near me has Mexi-coke, so I may give it a try...

jj101

Good topic Gummybear.

I am currently in Holland and the only soft drink i can get my hand on is Pepsi in a glass bottle. It says in the ingredients that it contains carbonated water, sugar, natural flavoring and E150 caramel coloring.

My first question is what is everyone's opinion of Pepsi? Is it the same as coke?

My second question is how do you know if your drink has HFCS in it? Nearly all the soft drink i see in England and Holland have sugar as an ingredient but i hear a lot about avoiding HFCS and how they are in most things. Do manufactures of commercial products not have to put HFCS on the lable?

kiran

jj101 said:
My first question is what is everyone's opinion of Pepsi? Is it the same as coke?

My second question is how do you know if your drink has HFCS in it? Nearly all the soft drink i see in England and Holland have sugar as an ingredient but i hear a lot about avoiding HFCS and how they are in most things. Do manufactures of commercial products not have to put HFCS on the lable?

It should be the same, pretty much.

HFCS is mostly an American issue. The price of HFCS from corn is kept artificially low by corn subsidies and sugar tariffs. And hence it is used everywhere. I would imagine it's not nearly as common in europe, so you're probably safe from the HFCS scourge at least.

peatarian

I once asked Ray Peat because he always used the word 'coke' if he meant Pepsi or Coca-Cola.
His answer:

'Coca, not Pepsi. From the mineral analyses I have seen, Coke would have more of the botannical extracts.'

OP
G

gummybear

kiran said:
jj101 said:

It should be the same, pretty much.

HFCS is mostly an American issue. The price of HFCS from corn is kept artificially low by corn subsidies and sugar tariffs. And hence it is used everywhere. I would imagine it's not nearly as common in europe, so you're probably safe from the HFCS scourge at least.

It usually says HFCS jj101. Which you should avoid ;)

Good post about it here:

http://co2factor.blogspot.se/2012/04/bi ... s-and.html

The signature cliff says:

The take away message is that HFCS sweetened beverages are possibly x4-5 the calories of sucrose sweetened beverages.

If your eating nothing but soda you most likely won't get fat, even if it's of the HFCS variety. The problem is when the calories are combined with excessive PUFA which forces a lot of the carbohydrates into storage.

The signature Anonymous says:

I came across this and like this explanation,

Peat: "A study at UCLA that came out last summer analyzed [high fructose corn syrup]. They chemically tested it and found that it contained just the amount of fructose and glucose that it was claimed to have. [However, upon hydrolyzing it, they] found that it contained polysaccharides (starch-like material) containing 4 to 5 times the amount of calories that the original sugar had...These polysaccharides aren't easily digested by our human enzymes and are likely to feed bacteria lower in the intestine that produce fermentation products (including lactic acid), which are responsible for causing the intestine to increase its already great production of seratonin and to cause it to be absorbed into the circulation in quantities enough to affect behavior. Anxiety, for example, is increased in animals in proportion to the fermentation of these starch-like molecules. I suspect that the starchy materials in the corn sweetener are pretty directly related to increased exposure to seratonin."

kiran

peatarian said:
I once asked Ray Peat because he always used the word 'coke' if he meant Pepsi or Coca-Cola.
His answer:

'Coca, not Pepsi. From the mineral analyses I have seen, Coke would have more of the botannical extracts.'

Damnit. So Pepsi-throwback isn't a good replacedment for mex-coke.

kettlebell

We are lucky in the UK as we get "Mexican coke" as standard in every bottle.

Carbonated water, sugar, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.

J

j.

kiran said:
peatarian said:

i would drink it anyway, personally. at least to increase the demand for beverages with real sugar!

OP
G

gummybear

kiran said:
peatarian said:
His answer:

You say potato, I say potato. I don't think the diffrence is that huge so that you skip the pepsi all together. I would have had the pepsi.

http://ai1.livememe.com/dphone_3on18ip.gif

pete

Lab Tests Find Carcinogen in Regular and Diet Coke and Pepsi
Lab Tests Find Carcinogen in Regular and Diet Coke and Pepsi ~ Newsroom ~ News from CSPI ~ Center for Science in the Public Interest

Ammoniated "Caramel Coloring" Contaminated with 4-methylimidazole

New chemical analyses have found that Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Diet Coke, and Diet Pepsi contain high levels of 4-methylimidazole (4-MI), a known animal carcinogen. The carcinogen forms when ammonia or ammonia and sulfites are used to manufacture the “caramel coloring” that gives those sodas their distinctive brown colors, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, the nonprofit watchdog group that commissioned the tests. CSPI first petitioned the FDA to ban ammonia-sulfite caramel coloring in February 2011.

CSPI collected samples of Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Diet Dr Pepper, and Whole Foods 365 Cola from Washington, D.C.-area stores. Pepsi’s products had 145 to 153 micrograms (mcg) of 4-MI in two 12-ounce cans. Regular Coca-Cola had 142 mcg per 12 ounces in one sample and 146 mcg in another. Diet Coke had 103 mcg per 12 ounces in one sample and 113 mcg in another.

To put those levels into context, the state of California has a 29-microgram benchmark for 4-MI. Levels above that in a serving of food or beverage may be required to bear a warning notice. Based on California’s risk model, CSPI estimates that the 4-MI in the Coke and Pepsi products tested is causing about 15,000 cancers in the U.S. population.

peatarian

That's shocking. Would you mind asking Ray Peat about this?
As far as I could find out, 4-methylimidazole has always been an ingredient in Coca-Cola and Ray Peat has recommended it a lot during the last years.

cliff

4-Methylimidazole may be formed in the browning of certain foods through the Maillard reaction between carbohydrates and amino-containing compounds. In particular, it is found in roasted foods, grilled meats, coffee and in types of caramel coloring produced with ammonia-based processes

In at least one study 4-Methylimidazole is protective against tumors in mice "The present paper provides a more detailed evaluation of the evidence that 4-MEI exhibits tumor preventive activity in the rat based upon the results of the NTP bioassay. Reduced body weight offers a partial explanation for the reduction in tumors, but does not appear to be the primary cause of the decreased tumor incidences, indicating that 4-MEI itself may possess an ability to prevent tumor formation." Does 4-methylimidazole have tumor preventive activity in the rat? - PubMed - NCBI

peatarian

Thank you very much, Cliff! I was searching in pubmed, but didn't find that study.
I have to say I don't have a lot of confidence in the 'State of California'. They also label every product with natural progesterone in it as 'carcinogenic'. Ray Peat once described the board meeting when they decided progesterone was going to be a 'known carcinogen' from now on - it was ridiculous.
I'd still like to know what Ray Peat thinks about 4-methylimidazole.

cliff

I've heard him say it is similar to the caramel in coffee and has antioxidant effects.

peatarian

Thanks a lot, cliff - from now on I will think of you every time I enjoy my Coca-Cola.