Extremely Low Fat Diet

naugyanks

Hey everyone, long time reader of Peat but first time on here. So I did a quick search and as far as I can tell, I didn't find anything on here about my question.

Back in the day (1938) William Brown volunteered to go on an extremely low fat diet for 6 months and "he experienced an absence of fatigue, his high blood pressure returned to normal, and migraines he had suffered from since childhood vanished, his metabolic rate increased and he lost weight, his respiratory quotient increased suggesting greater carbohydrate oxidation."
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/16/6/511.full.pdf

Many of you have probably seen this study. Well my question is, if one hypothetically wanted to experiment with a diet like this, what do you think is a good way to replicate it? Brown's diet was most specially-skimmed milk, cottage cheese made from that milk, orange juice, a biscuit made from potato starch, and supplements. I know that probably sounds a little nuts and very restrictive but I thought it might be interesting to try for a little while to see how I feel and to try to low endogenous PUFA.

I guess my main questions are:
-Does anyone know how you would defat skim milk more than it already is? (Or any food for that matter) Boil it and skim the fat?
-How would I incorporate fat-soluble vitamins and with what oil? From the sounds of it they used mineral oil but that doesnt seem healthy to me. WHO considers it a carcinogen I think.
-Is potato starch / corn starch fine to eat by itself in that quantity as long as its cooked? Potato starch crepes or something.
-Anyone know of a good source of bio-available complete vitamins mixes to prevent deficiencies? I've checked out a lot of the available powders but they all have something I don't like (omega 3s a lot of times, all the "vitamin A" as beta-carotene, etc.)

I know its kinda a long one, so thanks for reading and for any help.

natedawggh

I went on this twice, once very low fat, and one with absolutely no fat. Both times I experienced no relief of symptoms and lost no weight at all. The only effect was that I was incredibly hungry and my body ached.

I think if you have specific conditions or have enough of an impaired metabolism, going so low fat will probably cause you more trouble. Try it but if you feel uncomfortable it's probably better not to do it. And it's always better to enjoy your diet than to not. There are many real physiological benefits from just the pleasure of a good diet, as well as saturated fat being protective itself.

chris

Wanting to reduce the fat of skim milk is becoming obsessive. It has ~0.8g per quart. For what its worth, I tried to go as low fat as I possibly could for a week or so and it made my libido nonexistent.

Dizzryda

chris said:
Wanting to reduce the fat of skim milk is becoming obsessive. It has ~0.8g per quart. For what its worth, I tried to go as low fat as I possibly could for a week or so and it made my libido nonexistent.

Interesting. I wonder if you have any thoughts on how much fat one might need to maintain or even increase libido.

chris

Dizzryda said:
chris said:

Interesting. I wonder if you have any thoughts on how much fat one might need to maintain or even increase libido.

I am no expert by any means and do aim to keep fat relatively low but I feel alright around 50g but haven't experimented further and that is just my own personal experiences.

tankasnowgod

I've been thinking about William Brown's diet a bit recently too, and was thinking of maybe experimenting with it for a few days. Keep in mind, William Brown only weighed about 150 pounds (and lost about 14 pounds over the first three months), and ate about 2500 calories and about 120g of protein. If you try and replicate his diet, be sure to get adequate protein, and don't create a huge caloric deficit. If chris and natedawggh didn't pay attention to these, they could have been part of their problems, independent of fat intake.

Also, if the goal of replicating William Brown is to decrease PUFA, you could eat a similar diet with additional coconut oil or MCT oil. You could even add a starch like potato. This is most likely what I would try.

RPDiciple

Im doing this as well, with no fat. My lipido went up and everything feels so much better

skimmed milk,fruit,coffee,candy

naugyanks said:
Hey everyone.....-Anyone know of a good source of bio-available complete vitamins mixes to prevent deficiencies? I've checked out a lot of the available powders but they all have something I don't like (omega 3s a lot of times, all the "vitamin A" as beta-carotene, etc.)

You could try haidut's fat soluable vitamin mix, I hear it's great. Estroban has K A D and E. :cool:

Custom, hand-made dietary supplements:
US orders - https://squareup.com/market/idealabs-llc
International orders - http://haidut.dyndns.org/idealabs_international.html

Tom

Japanese Sumo wrestlers apparently eat a low fat diet with large amounts of white rice. In one estimate fat content was just 9-15% of energy, and 5000 kcal. Starches can be very fattening, especially grains, while fruits and perhaps honey has the opposite effect. I´m not sure about sucrose. I think that there´s so many components in milk (and more so than in cheese) that boost metabolism, so it is difficult to say how much the 3 quarts of milk consumed in the study was responsible for the effect. It would be interesting to see a comparison of two groups, one consuming 4 quarts of whole milk, providing 2700 kcal and 50E% fats, and the other 4 quarts of 1.5% milk plus 200 grams of sugar, providing the same amount of calories, but only 20E% fats. I wouldn´t be surprised if there were little difference.

"Nearly all men die of their remedies, and not of their illnesses."
- Moliere

Tom

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18454257

Natural honey and cardiovascular risk factors; effects on blood glucose, cholesterol, triacylglycerole, CRP, and body weight compared with sucrose.

It has been found that honey ameliorates cardiovascular risk factors in healthy individuals and in patients with elevated risk factors. The present study investigated the effect of natural honey on total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), triacylglycerole, C-reactive protein (CRP), fasting blood glucose (FBG), and body weight in overweight individuals. There were 55 patients, overweight or obese, who were randomly recruited into the study and assigned into two groups: control group (17 subjects) and experimental group (38 subjects). Patients in the control group received 70 g of sucrose daily for a maximum of 30 days and patients in the experimental group received 70 g of natural honey for the same period. In the control and experimental groups, body weight, body mass index, body fat weight, total cholesterol, LDL-C, HDL-C, triacylglycerole, FBG, and CRP were measured before treatment and at day 31 after the commencement of treatment. Results showed that honey caused a mild reduction in body weight (1.3%) and body fat (1.1%). Honey reduced total cholesterol (3%), LDL-C (5.8), triacylglycerole (11%), FBG (4.2%), and CRP (3.2%), and increased HDL-C (3.3%) in subjects with normal values, while in patients with elevated variables, honey caused reduction in total cholesterol by 3.3%, LDL-C by 4.3%, triacylglycerole by 19%, and CRP by 3.3% (p < 0.05). It is our conclusion that consumption of natural honey reduces cardiovascular risk factors, particularly in subjects with elevated risk factors, and it does not increase body weight in overweight or obese subjects.

Xisca

I have met someone who is on a very low fat - low protein diet.
He is healthy after 7 years of this diet!

He explained his meals:
1) juicy fruits in he morning
2) 20 bananas...
3) fruit veggies like tomatoes and pepers + green leaves. He eats no roots.

So there are only fruits and greens, his only fat is from some avocado, and never more than 1 per day. He eats no PUFA as he eats no nuts, and he is vegan.
He is very happy with this diet and looks happy and energetic as well! He is not skinny at all.

This is surprising but it works for him.

uuy8778yyi

Xisca said:
I have met someone who is on a very low fat - low protein diet.
He is healthy after 7 years of this diet!

He explained his meals:
1) juicy fruits in he morning
2) 20 bananas...
3) fruit veggies like tomatoes and pepers + green leaves. He eats no roots.

So there are only fruits and greens, his only fat is from some avocado, and never more than 1 per day. He eats no PUFA as he eats no nuts, and he is vegan.
He is very happy with this diet and looks happy and energetic as well! He is not skinny at all.

This is surprising but it works for him.

avocado is pufa

avoid it

Xisca

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

tara

YuraCZ

This is how my fat intake looks like for now. There is basically fat only from rice and absolutely minimum in skinless, well cleaned and boiled chicken or turkey breast + maybe 2-4g of saturated fats in CFM whey. Which is around 10g of fat overall! After 2-3 months I will add maybe 20g of butter and once a week I will have can of sardines and once a week 200g of chicken or turkey liver.. My main source of energy is jasmine rice, with vegetables( it seems I don't have problems with FODMAP carbs anymore) so I reintroduce some cruciferous vegetables, onions, spinach for extra calcium etc.. For protein I have mainly CFM whey protein, chicken/turkey breasts. Basically good old bodybuilding diet heh.. So will see.

Attachments

• fats.png
    fats.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 496

Emstar1892

Aah. I tried this. Exactly a year ago, after 3 years low carb. And it broke me.

I started getting reactive hypoglycemia (which is now a daily issue regardless of macro intake).

My libido plummetted.

My energy went from super-amazing-happy after eating, to absolutely-crazy-confused-weak-angry-crying at all other times of day.

I got anxiety

I got weird tiny spots all over my skin - like teeeeny whiteheads that you could only see in the light. But EVERYWHERE on my face.

My menstrual cycle stopped.

I developed severe, heart pounding insomnia.

My skin dried up all over my body.

My short term memory went away.

My short term memory went away.

:(

On the plus side, the cystic acne I'd had growing up was non-existent

My hair grew super fast

After eating, I felt incredible and was quick and witty

I could run up the stairs on the tube to work - a method I often use for testing the diets I'm on haha!

Perhaps I did it wrong though, as many people thrive on those diets. Perhaps it was calories? Perhaps it was food frequency? Perhaps it's *holds breath* genetics? Really don't like the last option though.

B

Braveheart

I am no expert by any means and do aim to keep fat relatively low but I feel alright around 50g but haven't experimented further and that is just my own personal experiences.

50 grams good for me, good libido, good weight...feels good