How much do you spend on food?

slayers

A week or month

My wife and I spend about $600 a month on food, we both eat a peat based diet (beef, ice cream and orange juice and the big $)

EIRE24

$600 for beef, ice cream and orange juice? Wow you must be going through a lot of those foods. How many calories do you consume daily? I dont spend anywhere near that and I get the best of grass fed beef and the ice cream I eat is Hagaan Daz, I dont drink much orange juice but can get some very good organic stuff for around 2.50 euro a litre. I am from Europe though so I understand that makes a difference

Tarmander

Yeah I spend around 600$ for just myself. Food is pricey here, especially if you get all organic. 3500 calories

OP
S

slayers

Wife eats around 2000 calories i eat around 2700 calories

were tying to cut back on the foods to eat cheaper

FredSonoma

I spend like $300 a week!! Wtf am I doing wrong lol. I think I also eat like 8000 calories a day lol

chrismeyers

You all are eating way too many calories. 3500? 3000? Youll never improve your health regardless of particular diet without total consumption control. Ray speaks frequently about anti aging and calorie restriction.

Nicholas

active, 3000 calories/day
$700/mo.
priciest items: raw milk, whey-fed pork, cheese, cherries, oysters, greek yogurt, martinelli's apple juice
i don't even buy organic

kineticz

chrismeyers said:
You all are eating way too many calories. 3500? 3000? Youll never improve your health regardless of particular diet without total consumption control. Ray speaks frequently about anti aging and calorie restriction.

Um, where?

Tarmander

chrismeyers said:

I spent years calorie restricting, eating 2000 calories or under. I am doing WAY better at 3500. I'll take a few years off the end for my present state any day.

tara

chrismeyers said:
My understanding is Peat has referred to the studies showing that restrictions of some particular amino acids has at least as great an effect on the life extension as calorie restriction, and suggested that restriction of those amino acids may be beneficial. I also thought that the calorie restriction studies that showed life-extension were of life-time calorie restriction - ie from birth - which is very different from restricting after one has grown up.

As far as I can tell, 3000 calories is normal consumption for adult males; 3500 for men still growing and maturing up to about 25 yrs. Common public calorie recommendations tend to be based on flawed studies relying on self reports about consumption, which have been shown statistically to underestimate what people actually eat (on average). Restricting to much less that can potentially result in health issues arising from energy deficit and resulting catabolism and/or reduced metabolism.

chrismeyers

I stand by the point that calorie restriction is important. Everything contains PUFAs even our best mostly saturated fats. The reason why virtually every study shows that creatures live longer and are healthier with calorie restriction and that even upto consuming a virtually fat free diet (like no fat) caused no real health problems when proper minerals were added. I cant even imagine eating more than 2500 calories and thats a heavy day for me. To consume 3000-3500 youre eating too much fat. I mean even if you drank a full gallon of skim milk a day which is basically a perfect proportion of sugars to protein and virtually no fat, thats only 1400 calories. And that has 190 grams of sugar and 120 grams of protein. How do you add so many more calories? Youve gotta be eating too much fat. Even good sat fats should be kept under control

Tarmander

tara said:
chrismeyers said:
My understanding is Peat has referred to the studies showing that restrictions of some particular amino acids has at least as great an effect on the life extension as calorie restriction, and suggested that restriction of those amino acids may be beneficial. I also thought that the calorie restriction studies that showed life-extension were of life-time calorie restriction - ie from birth - which is very different from restricting after one has grown up.

As far as I can tell, 3000 calories is normal consumption for adult males; 3500 for men still growing and maturing up to about 25 yrs. Common public calorie recommendations tend to be based on flawed studies relying on self reports about consumption, which have been shown statistically to underestimate what people actually eat (on average). Restricting to much less that can potentially result in health issues arising from energy deficit and resulting catabolism and/or reduced metabolism.

Tara I always love your thoughtful well written posts <claps>

Chrismeyers, cmon man you've only made three posts and you are already telling people their life choices are wrong. Your low calorie diet is obviously not working for you :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm a shirpa, who leads foolish Americans to climb high places so they forget about their inadequacies, and after walking 20 miles a day, I'm almost starving on my 3500 cal diet. Please send food to the Himalayas, att:Tarmander. :lol:

tara

chrismeyers said:
I stand by the point that calorie restriction is important. Everything contains PUFAs even our best mostly saturated fats. The reason why virtually every study shows that creatures live longer and are healthier with calorie restriction and that even upto consuming a virtually fat free diet (like no fat) caused no real health problems when proper minerals were added. I cant even imagine eating more than 2500 calories and thats a heavy day for me. To consume 3000-3500 youre eating too much fat. I mean even if you drank a full gallon of skim milk a day which is basically a perfect proportion of sugars to protein and virtually no fat, thats only 1400 calories. And that has 190 grams of sugar and 120 grams of protein. How do you add so many more calories? Youve gotta be eating too much fat. Even good sat fats should be kept under control

Not all calorie restriction data show benefits health benefits.
Have you read about Ancel Keys Semi-starvation Experiment a few decades ago? Young men semi-starved on 1600 cals over a few months suffered severe effects. It took a lot more than 3500 for them to recover.

I agree it would be difficult to get adequate nutrition from skim milk alone. Especially if one already has a sluggish metabolism, which can sometimes make it harder to handle large amounts of water. Some more calorie-dense foods are likely to be useful. How much is too much fat may vary fom person to person, too. Not everyone here is living a low-fat diet, but some are. People here use a number of approaches to getting enough calories without too much water, and different approaches work or don't work for different people. For instance, you can add honey and/or sucrose to milk, turn some of the milk into cheese, eat dried fruit and potatoes if you don't have trouble with the fibre or starch... . There are lists of ideas in other posts, if you are really having trouble eating enough. Just to note, my thoughts on calories have not come primarily from Peat, and not everyone here agrees with them.

XPlus

chrismeyers said:

Tara's + this:

Ray Peat said:
Several things relating to calorie-restricted diets are not generally known. First, in 1987, Schroeder found that the removal of toxic heavy metals from the diet had the same effect as caloric restriction. Second, although underfed animals grow more slowly, their metabolism is not necessarily depressed. (In fact, animals on a low protein diet have a higher​ rate of oxygen consumption than do the animals that eat a more normal diet.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml
Ray Peat said:
A nutrition researcher in San Diego suspected that the life-extending effects of calorie restriction might be the result of a decreased intake of toxins. He removed the toxic heavy metals from foods, and found that the animals which ate a normal amount of food lived as long as the semi-starved animals. Recently, the iron content of food has been identified as the major life-shortening factor, rather than the calories. [Choi and Yu, Age vol. 17, page 93, 1994.]

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml
Ray Peat said:
Although Clive McKay's studies of life extension through caloric restriction were done in the 1930s, only a few studies have been done to find out which nutrients' restriction contributes most to extending the life span. Restricting toxic heavy metals, without restricting calories, produces about the same life-extending effect as caloric restriction. Restricting only tryptophan, or only cysteine, produces a greater extension of the life span than achieved in most of the studies of caloric restriction. How great would be the life-span extension if both tryptophan and cysteine were restricted at the same time?

It would make sense to have as much calories as one needs as compared to restriction.
When your body needs to constantly build, repair and protect calorie restriction is like driving the wrong side of the road.

EIRE24

chrismeyers said:

You are taking the piss, right? Calories restriction is where metabolism takes a massive whack and everything in the body starts to go wrong. I actually think you haven't a ******* clue what you are talking about! You must have killed too many brain cells from your calorie restricting. Carb up mate and do yourself a favour!

EIRE24

FredSonoma said:
I spend like $300 a week!! Wtf am I doing wrong lol. I think I also eat like 8000 calories a day lol

8'000 calories, fair play pal that is some eating! What does a day of eating look like in terms of food choices to make up the 8'000 or were you just guesstimating calories?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals