Can I Live Off Of Milk And Orange Juice Alone?

welshwing

i heard peat recommended it to lose weight. they're liquid, healthy and satiate me. i see eating as a waste of time, i'm too busy. what would you add? i appreciate your opinion.

DKayJoe

6 days a week my diet consists of 4 and a half liters of semi skimmed (used to be whole fat) milk, 20g of beef liver with a strong cup of coffee and 2 liters of cold pressed orange juice. It works for me. I do supplement with tyrosine/bcaa, Vitamins E and K and pregnenolone though.

All you need is a slice of liver and a bar of chocolate once a week.

tara

Since you are young and not yet fully grown (under 20y?), I think it would be potentially hazardous for you to restrict calories much to lose weight. You risk sabotaging your body's processes of growing and maturing and developing a strong metabolism. A growing young woman needs something of the order of 3000 cals (young men more like 3500cals) [this is not directly from Peat]. That's a lot of milk and OJ. Which may be fine if you have a strong metabolism. But if you are restricting to lose fat, I'd guess your metabolism might not be that strong, and might have trouble with that much liquid.
That said, you may be able to use milk and OJ as the basis, and add a few other things in. Eg some eggs, liver, oysters, cheese, honey. Maybe swap out some of the milk for sweetened condensed milk to get the calorie density up a bit?

You could give more information about your situation if you want - eg current diet, health issues, brief history - or point to another post if you've already spelled this out somewhere.

Brian

Generally people don't do well on that much liquid unless they are sweating intensely during most of the day.

The milk can be turned into farmer's cheese. The orange juice could be used as curdling agent.

Macgyver-the-80s-14503733-576-432.jpg

Too busy to be healthy. It's over. 100% rationalization. You're on this forum reading about "health" but you don't have enough time to eat solid food? Someone needs to call you at as a fellow human being stupid and it is me ;)

BastiFuntasty

I was mostly living off of Oj and milk while travelling around by bike . At first I really noticed some kind of wellbeing, but after 2-3 weeks my metabolism dropped significantly. I must have been gotten deficient in several nutrients, maybe in manganese, iodine, selenium and sodium.

schultz

You probably could live off of these 2 things for the rest of your life. Alcoholics manage to live for a surprisingly long time off of what seems to be mostly liquor.

Manganese may be the only nutrient you may be lacking from this, but I think deficiencies are incredibly rare, and you would be getting a little bit still.

You would be getting enough iodine, selenium and sodium from these two foods. Enough to live anyway.

You'd probably be healthier than 99.9% of Americans.

haidut

Forum Supporter
If you add potatoes and butter once a week you'll be fine. In fact, it has been shown that you can live only on potatoes and butter indefinitely (the study was 2 years I think) and not incur deficiencies.Potato is really good, it will drain you of the extra ammonia all protein produces through metabolism.
I agree with user "john" above - iron stores would be the only concern on high milk diet. My ferritin dropped from 87 to 59 in just 6 months of high milk and cheese diet. Milk chelates iron very well so be aware of this potential side effect.

schultz

haidut said:
If you add potatoes and butter once a week you'll be fine. In fact, it has been shown that you can live only on potatoes and butter indefinitely (the study was 2 years I think) and not incur deficiencies.Potato is really good, it will drain you of the extra ammonia all protein produces through metabolism.
I agree with user "john" above - iron stores would be the only concern on high milk diet. My ferritin dropped from 87 to 59 in just 6 months of high milk and cheese diet. Milk chelates iron very well so be aware of this potential side effect.

No one has really defined how much of the 2 of these things a person would be eating if they were to be living off this diet. When I answered above I was thinking 16 cups of 1% milk and 16 cups of juice. I would do most, if not all, of the juice in concentrate form as to lower the liquid. A friend of mine combines milk and OJ concentrate and calls it orange milk (clever name! :roll: ), this way when he drinks 1 cup of milk he is also getting the equivalent of one cup of juice.

16 cups of OJ and 16 cups of milk give 9.1mg of iron, which for me is 114% of DV.
Haidut, do you think this amount of iron would not be enough given the large amount of milk present?

Of course if I were to do this diet I would add coffee in. Who wants to live without coffee? Though the thread simply asks about living off OJ and milk so the coffee is kind of beyond the threads question. However, the coffee would give you the manganese. You would be relying on bacteria for your vitamin K, unless you were drinking grass-fed milk.

Don't you think the coffee would grab onto the manganese?

schultz

Such_Saturation said:

Do you mean inside the body or the grinds would bind the manganese and not let it go into the brewed liquid?

The manganese figures I got for coffee are based on brewed coffee. Are you proposing that the manganese wouldn't be absorbed from this?

I think things like lead and cadmium are retained in the actual grinds.

schultz said:
Such_Saturation said:

Do you mean inside the body or the grinds would bind the manganese and not let it go into the brewed liquid?

The manganese figures I got for coffee are based on brewed coffee. Are you proposing that the manganese wouldn't be absorbed from this?

I think things like lead and cadmium are retained in the actual grinds.

That it would be difficult to absorb.

DaveFoster

Milk, OJ and GJ (grape juice) gives you all your nutrients except for niacin (B3) and iron. Peat recommends a lower iron consumption, so I'm not sure if this is an issue.

As for niacin, I was told by a forum member that coffee contains a great deal of niacin, so even 1/2 or 1/4 cup would supply the daily need and then some, not to mention if you're taking niacinamdie.

The key to doing this diet is not to pre-mix the OJ or GJ with water, but to add it directly into the milk, as mentioned previously, as this limits the amount of fluid that one must consume in the day. Be careful of the amount, as the milk will curdle if the pH drops too low. Exercise also increases fluid requirements, and I sweat like a dog on this eating plan, so that helps as well.

Lastly, there's the question of 1% vs skim, and there are quite a few members on this forum who oppose skim due to the cholesterol that is oxidized in its processing. Also note that skim milk is a more expensive option, as you get fewer calories per dollar.

Aiming at 60g of total fat per day, we're going to compare the differences in PUFA from 1% and skim milk. Coconut oil will be used as the primary fat in this scenario, as it possesses superior SFA:PUFA ratios as well as pro-metabolic effects. We will use CRON-O-meter for data.

1 gal 1% Milk (37.9g fat w/ 1.3g PUFA) + 25g coconut oil (25g fat w/ 0.5g PUFA) = 60.2g fat w/ 1.7g PUFA
1 gal skim milk (2.9g fat w/ 0.1g PUFA) + 58g coconut oil (58g fat w/ 1.0g PUFA) = 60.9g fat w/ 1.1g PUFA

As shown, skim milk with coconut oil offers a superior PUFA profile than 1% milk with coconut oil, but at the cost of harmful cholesterol oxidation, fewer calories per dollar, and a lower absorption of fat-soluble vitamins in the milk, which may be augmented by adding melted coconut oil prior to drinking the skim milk.

Vitamins A and D are added to the milk, but they may not be absorbed properly, depending on the individual and the presence of fat in the milk. Vitamins E and K are also low, but both of these RDAs are skewed. The former is low as the amount of PUFA is drastically reduced, and the latter because of the absence of K1 in the diet in favor of K2.

Nonetheless, one would benefit from a fat-soluble vitamin that includes Vitamins A, D, E, and K2, or alternatively plenty of sunlight for the second.

I've attached some pictures of what a sample diet looks like without liver, but with gelatin and a carrot.

Why is liver necessary, and why is low iron a problem? Is Peat's iron recommendation misguided for some individuals?

Protein: 22% Fat: 18% Carbs: 60%

Attachments

• CRON 1.png
    CRON 1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 805
  • CRON 2.png
    CRON 2.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 793
  • CRON 3.png
    CRON 3.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 795

haidut

Forum Supporter
schultz said:
haidut said:

No one has really defined how much of the 2 of these things a person would be eating if they were to be living off this diet. When I answered above I was thinking 16 cups of 1% milk and 16 cups of juice. I would do most, if not all, of the juice in concentrate form as to lower the liquid. A friend of mine combines milk and OJ concentrate and calls it orange milk (clever name! :roll: ), this way when he drinks 1 cup of milk he is also getting the equivalent of one cup of juice.

16 cups of OJ and 16 cups of milk give 9.1mg of iron, which for me is 114% of DV.
Haidut, do you think this amount of iron would not be enough given the large amount of milk present?

Of course if I were to do this diet I would add coffee in. Who wants to live without coffee? Though the thread simply asks about living off OJ and milk so the coffee is kind of beyond the threads question. However, the coffee would give you the manganese. You would be relying on bacteria for your vitamin K, unless you were drinking grass-fed milk.

Between the citric acid in OJ (which is an iron chelator) and milk one may need some more iron-rich foods to compensate. I think the suggestion above about liver once a week should give enough iron and copper to balance things out.

Well you won't need liver with gallons and gallons, although I would double check those values on other websites. You also have carrots, gelatin, coffee and coconut oil, obviously.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals