• Ultra Pasteurised (Sterilised)

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Lactose Free

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Organic Raw

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Organic Pasteurised

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Organic Ultra Pasteurised (Sterilised)

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Organic Lactose Free

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tomisonbottom

BingDing said:
tomisonbottom said:
Does homogonized matter?
Does % of milkfat matter?

Nope to both. Grass fed is all, vitamins at your discretion.

Just in case someone hasn't thought of it, non-homogenized, no vitamin whole milk can be turned into no vitamin reduced-fat milk by skimming the cream off. Make butter out of it or ice cream or something. Might be able to clarify it as is, I've never tried it.

Ok thanks.
That makes it easier but I thought I read somewhere that we're NOT supposed to drink milk with the vitamins added........

So sounds like maybe it's not ideal but it's better to drink grass fed with vitamins than not at all or than drinking regular milk without vitamins added?

BingDing

tomisonbottom said:

BingDing said:
tomisonbottom said:
Does homogonized matter?

Just in case someone hasn't thought of it, non-homogenized, no vitamin whole milk can be turned into no vitamin reduced-fat milk by skimming the cream off. Make butter out of it or ice cream or something. Might be able to clarify it as is, I've never tried it.

Ok thanks.
That makes it easier but I thought I read somewhere that we're NOT supposed to drink milk with the vitamins added........

Well, yeah, the added vitamins aren't good, if you can avoid them you should. Read the whole thread again. You posted

"Is it a big deal to have vitamins a and d added?
The only milk I could find that was organic grass fed has those added vitamins......"

Reading the answers is your best bet, IMHO.

I don't mean to be short, I really mean to be long like a Maple whirligig in the spring air.

pboy

tomisonbottom said:

BingDing said:
tomisonbottom said:
Does homogonized matter?

Ok thanks.

So sounds like maybe it's not ideal but it's better to drink grass fed with vitamins than not at all or than drinking regular milk without vitamins added?

Yes, this is likely the case. However, you can get whole grass fed milk with no vitamins added (for whatever reason the government mandates vitamin D be added to all milk except whole milk)...and like BingDing said, just skim the fat off the top. You can get fat free grass fed dried milk with no vitamins added (I think the brand or Organic Valley) and reconstitute it, though its not quite as good as fresher milk if its available

key

If you don't find a problem with added vitamins; avoiding them probably doesn't matter much. Not that this means much but I'm pretty sure Ray gets added vitamin milk.

Dutchie

Is Buttermilk different in milkcomposition? Today I tried to make some warm chocolate milk from Goat's Buttermilk and normally when I heat the fullfat or lowfat (1,5%) Goat milk,it's ok but when I drank,or spooned,the buttermilk after heating it had all these little lumps in it. Kinda like fine crumbled feta cheese.
Kinda a shame,bc I like Buttermilk but I guess it's only to be consumed cooled/at roomtemperature which leaves out the option to make chocolate milk with it.

Jenn

Are you talking buttermilk from making butter or the cultured milk product? 2 very different things.
Assuming you are using the cultured product, you may be overheating it...hence making cheese. ;) Or it could be old and its curdling. Sometimes dairy products have other things added too, which may affect the end result.

Dutchie

Jenn said:
Are you talking buttermilk from making butter or the cultured milk product? 2 very different things.
Assuming you are using the cultured product, you may be overheating it...hence making cheese. ;) Or it could be old and its curdling. Sometimes dairy products have other things added too, which may affect the end result.

Storebougth buttermilk with no additives.
There are no lumps in the milk,so I guess it was indeed the heating that caused it as I heated at same temp&time as the regular milk.
So,by heating up the buttermilk to an even higher temp or for longer (I know the microwave is bad...) would I be able to make a kind of cottage cheese or any cheese for that matter? ...bc that would save me some money,as cheese is quite expensive.
I'm such a noob when it comes to kitchen skills etc.

gretchen

Goat milk. I didn't drink cow's milk for 20 years. After drinking it daily for a year, I realize what toxic poison it really is, and will never drink it again. I had my last glass Friday, and 48 hours later feel much better.
[mod]This post contains alternatives to Ray Peat's views. For a full explanation click here.[/mod]

Jenn

gretchen said:
Goat milk. I didn't drink cow's milk for 20 years. After drinking it daily for a year, I realize what toxic poison it really is, and will never drink it again. I had my last glass Friday, and 48 hours later feel much better.
[mod]This post contains alternatives to Ray Peat's views. For a full explanation click here.[/mod]
If you can't digest and assimilate something, then yes, it IS a toxin to you. Some people can't tolerate goat's milk, but thrive on cow's milk. Some people can handle one animals milk but not another's of the same species.