vitamin D supplements

PeatFeat

I find it hard to take most studies seriously. If your body isn't deficient in vitamin D in the first place then there probably won't be any noticeable effect. Considering the study was done in New Zealand, a warm and sunny place, I could see that being the main reason why no difference was made. Also, it doesn't say whether it was D2 or D3. D3 is what you get from animal products and is much better utilized by the body. There actually was a decrease in infections by the vitamin D group, it just wasn't enough to be scientifically significant. The one dose per month thing seems a little weird to me too. I wonder if how they took it or what they ate when taking it could make a difference. They should have measured blood levels before and after to see if it was even being absorbed.

OP
G

gretchen

PeatFeat said:
I find it hard to take most studies seriously. If your body isn't deficient in vitamin D in the first place then there probably won't be any noticeable effect. Considering the study was done in New Zealand, a warm and sunny place, I could see that being the main reason why no difference was made. Also, it doesn't say whether it was D2 or D3. D3 is what you get from animal products and is much better utilized by the body. There actually was a decrease in infections by the vitamin D group, it just wasn't enough to be scientifically significant. The one dose per month thing seems a little weird to me too. I wonder if how they took it or what they ate when taking it could make a difference. They should have measured blood levels before and after to see if it was even being absorbed.

Yeah, good points. :? I got a cold in November that went on most of the month, and am wondering what I should have done or should be doing to prevent it. Since I don't like to spend much time outside (I live at a high altitude and get tired of feeling chapped and dry all the time), I thought I would start using vitamin D supplements, something I have dilly dallied on, because I can't decide whether I really should or not. I'm thinking I might relent and make myself go outside every day and start eating more meat, eggs, and liver.

Rachel

gretchen said:
The most recent studies show that vitamin D supplements are ineffective for treating colds and infections. I've been sick a lot this season. Does this mean I should spend more time outside :?

How much time do you spend outside. gretchen?
It's also helpful to get sun because of the red light, which is protective against stress.

OP
G

gretchen

Rachel said:
gretchen said:
The most recent studies show that vitamin D supplements are ineffective for treating colds and infections. I've been sick a lot this season. Does this mean I should spend more time outside :?

How much time do you spend outside. gretchen?
It's also helpful to get sun because of the red light, which is protective against stress.

I try for 20-30 minutes a day at the end of the day. I live at a high altitude and have become obsessed with avoiding UVA. However, I also have an LED red light thingie which I ought to use more often, probably daily.........