Milk Chocolate

emtropy

We always hear about how good dark chocolate is for us; "low in sugar" "gives a good dose of magnesium" "high in quality fats." Since we know that sugar isn't the Diabeetus Devil, is there anything wrong with milk chocolate in the place of dark? Sugar, fat, some minerals, the milk in it - though probably powdered - helping to lower the estrogenic effect?

I can usually eat to satiation with most things (getting better since Peating!) but since I'm trying to lose fat, I'd make sure not to create a surplus with the delicious bastard (calorie counts and macro levels on the side) So considering this, is around 10-30g of Green and Black's 34% milk chocolate (not per day necessarily, but when I fancy it) a reasonable snack?

4peatssake

I think it's a perfectly fine snack provided it's free of soy lecithin. I can get a brand called Camino and their milk chocolate is good and free of nasty ingredients.

OP
E

emtropy

I can't seem to find any without soy lecithin :/ how bad is it, reasonably? Otherwise I'll have to just cut it out completely~

tara

emtropy said:
I can't seem to find any without soy lecithin :/ how bad is it, reasonably? Otherwise I'll have to just cut it out completely~

I'd like to know this too. I've gradually switched to milk and white chocolate, and haven't seen any locally without soy lecithin.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There is a thread around here about soy lecithin. Its some pretty bad stuff.

Mittir

emtropy said:
Someone asked RP about a diabetes cure using vitamin E and lecithin.
His reply was that it can be slightly toxic and Lecithin is PUFA.
He also added that a gram of it is not that bad .He thinks that limiting
PUFA intake within 4 grams daily is protective against cancer.
He thinks there are safer way to fix diabetes.
It is not clear to me if he believes that lecithin and E
can cure diabetes or he simply did not want to engage in debate.
He does that often even when he believes the other person is wrong.
I have used Lindt's 99 percent dark chocolate, those are lecithin free,
and i did not feel the kind of benefit i get from coffee.

4peatssake

emtropy said:
It's bad.

Here's the thread Charlie mentioned. The link is midway through the thread and contains useful information about soy lecithin. :shock:

There's another thread around that lists soy lecithin free chocolate but I can't remember if there were many good milk chocolate bars listed. It's takes some work to find good tasting chocolate free of soy lecithin, especially milk chocolate, but it is out there.

Adnada

If you are in the US, try Whole Foods 365 brand organic milk chocolate. Free from soy lecithin/other impurities. It tastes great and you will get a case discount of 10% off if you buy 10 bars (if you have the discipline to keep from eating a bar a day!).

OP
E

emtropy

Wow. That stuff's nasty. I had no idea. Thanks Charlie, Mittir and 4peatssake!

@adnada, I'm UK based, but I may be able to find Vivani somewhere.

G

gummybear

Green and black doesn't have soy lecithin and is a uk based chocolate company.

aguilaroja

gummybear said:
Green and black doesn't have soy lecithin and is a uk based chocolate company.

Green and Black's chocolate bars do list soy lecithin as an ingredient on their chocolate bars, including milk chocolate, according to label pictures on many websites.

They have gone to exclusively fair trade chocolate since 2011. While they are U.K. based, the company was sold to Cadbury Schweppes, which in turn was taken over by Kraft Foods, which in turn became part of a multinational called Mondelēz International.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_&_Black's

G

gummybear

It says not soy lecithin on the bar I am holding in my hands mister. 85% cocoa.

Dutchie

There's this brand called Vivani,they have many different flavors and they're all organic and soy-free. See if you can order it somewhere: http://www.vivani-chocolate.de/Where_to_buy_e.html

Or....you can ofcorse make your own chocolate with coconut oil and/or cacaobutter and for milk chocolate I assume you have to add milkpowder. I just don't know how much. I actually got a package of organic skim milk powder and cacaobutter for free and wanted to try making milk chocolate with it,but I have no idea of all the quantities I need to use.

BingDing

It would be good news if milk chocolate was healthy, I like it a lot more than dark chocolate. But I thought it had to be greater than 70% cocoa to be healthy. Dunno, really.

pboy

milk chocolate??!? candy??!? no way! anything with that much sugar will give you diabetes, and it has so much fat you will get fat. Instead of eating your emotions away go to the gym or eat a salad...gosh, people these days...

on a serious note, its good. The thing to watch for is that powdered milk has some oxidized aminos and fats that in high quantity can irritate colon, same with the
roasted chocolate actually (pretty much any roasted food). Other than that, its a balanced food nutritionally, delicious of course, wont hurt you in any way (in medium amount), supplies a lot of minerals and a good source of copper, chromium. I used to eat many milk and dark chocolate bars a day...literally, like 10-15 ounces...but eventually got tired of the gut issue, so now I use chocolate more like coffee or tea, brewed then I add sugar. You end up losing the fat this way, but alas...its worth it to avoid potential annoyances...and in the quanitity I consume chocolate, a cleaner method was needed

pboy

forgot to mention about soy lecithin...no doubt its a slight irritant, but the amount used in most chocolates isn't enough to cause anything noticeable...I know because I used to eat a lot of it, never noticed anything, then I supplemented with lecithin for a while (a while back) and it produced noticeable bowel symptoms, I wont go into detail...not terrible, but basically its like an extremely slick lube kind of substance...and it came out like it went in. Id almost say people with constipation could be quickly cured with a moderate to high serving of lechin...its literally soap. Buts its an irritant no doubt...the amount in chocolate I wouldn't fret about, you wont notice it. Id say don't buy non organic chocolate with lecithin though, GMO soy and the solvents used in making lecithin are a serious issue...enough garbage in even a small amount to not be desirable. If you live near a whole foods, the milk and dark chocolate they sell, their brand, is organic and has no lecithin, just cocoa vanilla extract and sugar, and milk in the milk chocolate. Its very nice, I used to consume multiple a day

Jennifer

Pboy, sorry if this is a silly question, but when you say you use chocolate more like coffee and tea, you buy whole cocoa beans and brew them? Not actual cocoa powder, right? I'd like to try it. I don't really care for chocolate bars, but a chocolate, iced tea/coffee like drink with milk and sugar sounds really good. Plus, all the those beneficial minerals. :)

mt_dreams

Jennifer said:
Pboy, sorry if this is a silly question, but when you say you use chocolate more like coffee and tea, you buy whole cocoa beans and brew them? Not actual cocoa powder, right? I'd like to try it. I don't really care for chocolate bars, but a chocolate, iced tea/coffee like drink with milk and sugar sounds really good. Plus, all the those beneficial minerals. :)

I can't speak for Pboy, but from time to time I use organic cocoa powder along with ground coffee for my coffee. I'll either use it in a hand held bialetti pot (which produces lots of froth) or pour over method using a coffee filter. The espresso pot lets some of the cocoa fiber/protein into the coffee compared to using a filter, but the cocoa taste is much stronger using the bialetti.

Full cocoa beans (or nibs) are quite bitter, so you would probably need more sugar to balance it out. Dutch cocoa imo is the better way to go, and will also be cheaper.

pboy

Jennifer in fact im consuming one right now. Its one of the richest sweetest things ive had in a while...yea I prefer the nibs. Powder doesn't brew as well and a lot
of the flavor has usually already been lost during the processing. Beans are very good, but you gotta peel them and it can at times be tedious. Yes just like you said...it can be hot or cool, good either way, with sugar and milk its the best...taste like hot chocolate...and you get a good amount of minerals and more than that...you get the goodness of chocolate in its soothing warming way