Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

dd99

No, the link is for an LED board. I just prop it nearby in the evenings. I've got pretty bright halogens going, too.

What I'm looking for is a floor lamp with adjustable head and a ceramic socket that can take the 500 watt incandescents from heatbulbs.eu. But that's proven to be hard to find.

Strongbad

That board has a hanger. The possibilities are endless, depending on your room setup :)

Newbophyte

So you guys are looking at a distinction without a difference (mainly). Incandescent bulbs produce their light by pushing a lot of electricity through a very small wire known as a filament, which has a high resistance value. That causes the wire to heat up due to all the electricity flow, and start producing radiation (light) with an intensity and spectrum that depends, among other things, upon the power consumed (wattage). Halogens push a bunch of electricity through a plasma (I think) to do the same, and LED's are semiconductors with a specific band-gap dependent on their constituent materials that allow much higher efficiency and much less waste heat. Now, waste heat is another thing that we can call... infra-red light! When you touch a CFL or LED light, you notice that it's pretty much room temperature. More of the wattage (electricity) is being converted to light, so you're not going to burn your hand. Halogens, heat lamps and "incandescents" (read: normal light-bulbs) aren't gonna be so fun to touch, due to their lower efficiency and higher operating temperature. Now, I'm not making a distinction between the heat from a heat lamp and the heat given off by a normal bulb, as I'm not sure there is a difference, but there may well be one. But I would venture a guess that any "heat lamp" is an incandescent filament constructed and enclosed in a housing to produce light in a longer wavelength than a normal lightbulb.

One panel I've been eyeing:
http://www.dx.com/p/100w-4000lm-625nm-1 ... QfWJVVj-iw

This panel will likely require a heatsink and perhaps a fan to keep cool and within the correct operating temperature, but my guess is that this light will outclass many others, as an LED panel is at least five times more efficient lumens-per-watt. I leave the link as a springboard for ideas that others may have here to explore on their own.

Newbophyte

It certainly does! Just consider the wattage rating of the socket/lamp housing as pulling 375 W through an electrical cord not rated to handle it could be a fire risk, same with the shade/housing.

you

Newbophyte said:
It certainly does! Just consider the wattage rating of the socket/lamp housing as pulling 375 W through an electrical cord not rated to handle it could be a fire risk, same with the shade/housing.

Thanks yea... 375W does sound like a lot. :partydance

How many lights do you guys use? Three?

Rachel

Hi! I've just found a source on Amazon of the 130 volt 250 watt br40 bulb. And it's a crazy good deal.

If you go here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P1 ... ge_o00_s00

and look to the right at other sellers on Amazon you will see a seller iQlighting that will send you the bulb for 4.71 and free shipping. I don't know why... maybe they are trying to get rid of them. I just ordered one - hopefully it will be the right one!

narouz

Rachel said:
Hi! I've just found a source on Amazon of the 130 volt 250 watt br40 bulb. you the bulb for

If you go here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P1 ... ge_o00_s00

and look to the right at other sellers on Amazon you will see a seller iQlighting that will send you the bulb for 4.71 and free shipping. I don't know why... maybe they are trying to get rid of them. I just ordered one - hopefully it will be the right one!

I believe this is the correct one, Rachel.
I mean, it has the specs Peat notes.
I believe I bought a couple of those about a year ago and gave them a whirl.
Peat uses these at about 120V current,
and thinks that shifts the red light spectrum favorably.

I found that they just seem/feel like an infrared heat lamp,
but not as hot.
Still pretty hot though.

There are several threads on the ephemeral Perfect Ray Peat Bulb.
I looked into it furiously a couple of years ago
and came to the conclusion that Peat got the shift wrong.
He thinks the shift caused by running these 130V bulbs at 120V house current
pushes the light more into the favorable spectrum he cites.
But, in fact, I couldn't escape the conclusion that it pushes the light the other way--
further out into the not so great infrared...

Damn that was a thorny issue. :lol:

Rachel

narouz said:
I believe this is the correct one, Rachel.
I mean, it has the specs Peat notes.
I believe I bought a couple of those about a year ago and gave them a whirl.
Peat uses these at about 120V current,
and thinks that shifts the red light spectrum favorably.

Hiya, Narouz!

I do believe it is the right one, also! It's the total price w/ shipping of 4.71 that makes me think something might go awry. ;)

FredSonoma

Would a large campfire have the same positive effects? Seems like that is only red and orange frequencies.

narouz

FredSonoma said:
Would a large campfire have the same positive effects? Seems like that is only red and orange frequencies.

But those are just the ones Peat favors.
I've had the same thought before, Fred.
May partly explain why it is such a popular pastime.

tara

Yes to red through infrared from firelight. :)

FredSonoma

tara said:

Awesome!! Also, what's the consensus on getting the actual red light bulb vs. just a regular incandescent? Would the red light bulb be better for night time? (I've heard the red light signals evening-time to the brain, so it helps you get tired).

narouz

tara said:

Peat tends to just say red light.
But he has pinned it down a bit I believe to
between 620nm-850nm wavelength.

I may be off slightly on those numbers
but that's pretty close I hope.

Peat thinks a 130V bulb run at 120V gives the best wavelength
I've tried that
but I believe regular incandescent 300W utility bulbs
yield better performance within that spectrum.
Actually, I think the halogen lights are the most bang for the buck.
They have a little ultra-violet, but you need a little UV to create vitamin D, right?
But the tone of light emitted from an incandescent bulb is much more pleasing to me, feels better.

FredSonoma

I have intestinal problems - would it make sense to put a bright red light bulb right at my stomach where the discomfort is?

Could we make a swallowable capsule with red LEDs and a lithium ion battery? :shock: Runs to the patent office

narouz

FredSonoma said:
I have intestinal problems - would it make sense to put a bright red light bulb right at my stomach where the discomfort is?

I would think so.
If you're using an infrared bulb (like Peat recommends)
or a halogen bulb
you need to be careful, of course.
You don't want them falling on your stomach and burning you.

Even a regular incandescent 300V like I use gets pretty hot.

tara

narouz said:
FredSonoma said:

I would think so.
If you're using an infrared bulb (like Peat recommends)
or a halogen bulb
you need to be careful, of course.
You don't want them falling on your stomach and burning you.

Even a regular incandescent 300V like I use gets pretty hot.
I didn't use it for intestinal distress, but I had a halogen floodlight on a stand last winter, and really liked it. I'd sit about a metre in front of it, with shoulders, upper back, back of head and neck exposed. I've got no numbers, but it made me feel good. Would be easy to use a similar set up on the tummy side. Feels like sunbathing, which is great in mid-winter.

tara

uuy8778yyi said:
will any red light do ?

any red light bulb ?
Peat recommends strong untinted incandescent bulbs, giving quite a bit of light in the desirable orange through near-infrared ranges. Some people go for red LEDs emitting specific wavelengths. I've used strong halogens in winter, but they may not be ideal - a little more blue than desirable, and not good to look straight at.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals