Gelatin Issues

J

j.

Many people mention having some sort of problem after eating gelatin. I wonder if the problem is the container and not the gelatin.

I have the impression that

Now Foods Gelatin comes in plastic.
Great Lakes Gelatin in aluminium cans.
Hoosier Hill Farm Gelatin in glass.

(I never bought Great Lakes or Hoosier Hill Farm Gelatin, but I have that impression based on the pictures. If someone knows, please confirm)

When I drink a ton of coke, I feel best if the container is glass. Worst if it is plastic. I wonder if the same would happen with gelatin. I wonder if after a while, having too much Now Foods gelatin, at least from the 1 pound container, the plastic ingested would increase estrogen too much and create problems.

Regarding Now Foods Gelatin, there is a 4 lbs version. I'm guessing that the plastic will be less concentrated there than in the one pound presentation.

R

ratcheer

Great Lakes Gelatin in aluminium cans.

The Great Lakes 1lb size comes in a cardboard tube. Don't know what the coating is on the inside though. Another GL option is to buy the 10lb bag. It's only slightly cheaper than buying individual cans though, and it comes in a heavy plastic bag - but the volume to surface exposure has got to be minimal.

OP
J

j.

Jenn said:
Acid items, like tomatoes (or coke or OJ) are more likely to leach stuff from plastic than other ingredients.

I think a big part is also how hot it gets during transportation. So maybe if you buy gelatin when it's really, really hot, you'll have some plastic even in gelatin.

OP
J

j.

I do smell the plastic, even after I remove it from the plastic container and put it in a glass container. What brand do you use?

Peata

Before lately, I only used porcine gelatin. I ordered more from Great Lakes and was sent the beef gelatin instead. It smells faintly of plastic. But if that smell was coming from the container, the pork gelatin should also smell like plastic. Instead, it has the faint smell of pork rinds.

OP
J

j.

I don't think the Great Lakes would have much plastic since the container isn't plastic.

Jenn

Bulk food is a large plastic liner/bag in a cardboard box ...in the size that I ordered anyway. Azure Standard in the 50 lb size is a paper bag, but I can't remember if it has a liner or not. The bulkfoods box smells like chocolate, I think they recycled it. Beef gelatin doesn't smell like pork rinds. ;)

OP
J

j.

Apparently Hoosier Hill Farm just sells it in a bag, despite the picture on their site.

OP
J

j.

Jenn said:
Bulk food is a large plastic liner/bag in a cardboard box ...in the size that I ordered anyway. Azure Standard in the 50 lb size is a paper bag, but I can't remember if it has a liner or not. The bulkfoods box smells like chocolate, I think they recycled it. Beef gelatin doesn't smell like pork rinds. ;)

I think when you buy it in such big sizes, even if the plastic somehow gets to the product, the concentration is going to be very low.

superhuman

i buy just cheap 25g gelatin powder from the store. I just mix it with cold water and let it soak for 10 mins then pull some heated water over and mix so its all dissolved and drink away. I "eat" 25-50 grams of gelatin a day and some days i did 75g. Never had any problems with gelatin, as long as you let it soak and then mix it well with hot water its no problem. If im sloppy with the mixing i will get headache from hell, probably because of endotoxin and just undigested gelatin crap. But this never happends anymore, it happend once or twice in my early days when i was sloppy and then i found out what caused it.