Progesterone

chris

peatarian said:
Don't spend more than an hour without at least drinking milk or orange juice.

How much of each should we have per hour, or does the amount not really matter?

peatarian

chris said:
peatarian said:
Don't spend more than an hour without at least drinking milk or orange juice.

How much of each should we have per hour, or does the amount not really matter?

Chris - I think even one sip of milk keeps the blood level up. Peat says he eats or drinks something all the time. But of course it's only a bite or a sip of something, not regular meals.

Lucy

Hi Peatarian,

just a quick question - how can a vitamin C supplement damage the kidneys? My boyfriend has this huge craving for vitamin C (he loves sour fruits etc.) and takes large amounts as a supplement almost daily, so I'm a bit worried after reading this...

peatarian

Lucy said:
Hi Peatarian,

just a quick question - how can a vitamin C supplement damage the kidneys? My boyfriend has this huge craving for vitamin C (he loves sour fruits etc.) and takes large amounts as a supplement almost daily, so I'm a bit worried after reading this...

Nono, fruit is fine of course. I was talking about the supplement. If he love oranges, they will love him back.

peatarian

Lucy said:
Hi Peatarian,

Lucy - you did mean orange juice, right? Because there is a quote from the new newsletter: "Excessive citric acid, for example, might activate dormant cancer cells (Harvard, et al., 2011) and has been associated with malignancy (Blüml, et al., 2011).

Ray-Z

peatarian said:
Calcium supplements are really useless.

Do you mean all calcium supplements, peatarian, or just the pills?

I'm don't tolerate any form of dairy at the moment; I can't so much as look at a cow without a bad allergic reaction. :mrgreen:

When I started using calcium carbonate powder, I immediately felt a bit calmer and my teeth became harder and smoother. I use the powder from NOW Foods, which is not -- as far as I know -- made from eggshells from contented, low-PUFA chickens or even from the shells of contented oysters. In other words, the calcium carbonate supplement I use is likely of low quality, and yet it has helped me. So perhaps if one's body is desperate enough for calcium...? :2cents

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Just a reminder to keep your Progest-E in the fridge. I always keep mine in there.

Here is a quote from Angela over at Ray Peat Fans:

Angela Desz from Ray Peat Fans said:
Once I asked Dr. Peat about keeping progest-e in the fridge or not; here's what he told me about this and the doses:
Ray Peat said:
"The vitamin E is the only fragile thing in the progesterone solution, and when it's exposed to light, heat, and air it gradually loses its antioxidant value, but the progesterone isn't affected. A few drops at a time (an eighth of a teaspoonful is 50 mg of progesterone) should have a noticeable effect right away (ten or fifteen minutes), and can be repeated according to the effect. If veins on the backs of your hands are bulging (at waist level) the right amount of progesterone should reduce the bulge, for example."

Birdie

Charlie said:
Just a reminder to keep your Progest-E in the fridge. I always keep mine in there.

Here is a quote from Angela over at Ray Peat Fans:

Angela Desz from Ray Peat Fans said:
Once I asked Dr. Peat about keeping progest-e in the fridge or not; here's what he told me about this and the doses:
Ray Peat said:
"The vitamin E is the only fragile thing in the progesterone solution, and when it's exposed to light, heat, and air it gradually loses its antioxidant value, but the progesterone isn't affected. A few drops at a time (an eighth of a teaspoonful is 50 mg of progesterone) should have a noticeable effect right away (ten or fifteen minutes), and can be repeated according to the effect. If veins on the backs of your hands are bulging (at waist level) the right amount of progesterone should reduce the bulge, for example."
I don't keep mine in the fridge. If only the vit E loses it's value, and I do take vit E, and since the progesterone doesn't break down it seems okay.
I tend to use it more if it's out in view. Still, it's hard to remember to take it!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well, you might want the Vitamin E to be at its best because that is what helps shuttle the progesterone into the body. :2cents

jyb

Can progesterone be useful for men (either orally or topically), and if so for what purpose? My limited understanding is that is more useful for women, however I read somewhere that Peat himself used it so I'm curious.

On a related note, what would you recommend for healing some redness from scars or acne? I'm talking about existing marks, not how to prevent new ones - which I more or less prevent on a Peat diet. I have some Vitamine E from unique-E, it might be useful for scars but not acne prone areas like the face because its oily (glycerin) so it would probably trigger some new acne instead of healing it. I think Peat mentions pregnelonone, but I don't think it works topically like progesterone, and some users report more acne so I'm not sure if its a good idea. Same for niacinamide, I have some pure powder but I'm not sure how I would use it topically.

jyb

@peatarian: How do you use the charcoal? You mention using it every 3 days before bed. I have some active charcoal capsule (veg cellulose). Should I open the capsules and drink it raw (its dirty but just manageable)? How many should I aim for? Should I eat anything like raw carrots at the same time?

Birdie

jyb said:
@peatarian: How do you use the charcoal? You mention using it every 3 days before bed. I have some active charcoal capsule (veg cellulose). Should I open the capsules and drink it raw (its dirty but just manageable)? How many should I aim for? Should I eat anything like raw carrots at the same time?
Good question. peatarian told me not to take it with carrot. The only time I can take it far enough from meals, is if I awaken in the night. So, I keep it by the bathroom sink. I've read it should be taken an hour away from food.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Well, you might want the Vitamin E to be at its best because that is what helps shuttle the progesterone into the body. :2cents
Okay, Charlie, I remember that Ray said progesterone dissolves in vit E oil. But I don't remember the part about vit E's helping shuttle progesterone into the body. Do you remember where that info is?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I can't quite remember where from. But I believe, that is the reason Ray Peat patented the progest-e because he found that the vitamin E was incredible at getting progesterone into the body.

Birdie

Charlie said:
I can't quite remember where from. But I believe, that is the reason Ray Peat patented the progest-e because he found that the vitamin E was incredible at getting progesterone into the body.
I remember that he discovered it mixed into the vit E easily. He got his patent on that. I'm not sure you've got the other quite right.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Attachments

• IMG_160133989468810.jpeg
    IMG_160133989468810.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_160162966438174.jpeg
    IMG_160162966438174.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 110

Birdie

Yes. I have read that but I interpret it differently. He says that powdered progesterone will not be absorbed. Then, that it will be absorbed when mixed with vit E oil. Once it's absorbed, it gets distributed with circulation. I don't think the vit E boosts the distribution. I could be wrong.

Also, it bothers me that the vit E could be oxidized to a bad form and not just lose it's potency. But in Angela's quote he just says it loses potency.

peatarian

Ray-Z said:
peatarian said:
Calcium supplements are really useless.

Do you mean all calcium supplements, peatarian, or just the pills?

I'm don't tolerate any form of dairy at the moment; I can't so much as look at a cow without a bad allergic reaction. :mrgreen:

When I started using calcium carbonate powder, I immediately felt a bit calmer and my teeth became harder and smoother. I use the powder from NOW Foods, which is not -- as far as I know -- made from eggshells from contented, low-PUFA chickens or even from the shells of contented oysters. In other words, the calcium carbonate supplement I use is likely of low quality, and yet it has helped me. So perhaps if one's body is desperate enough for calcium...? :2cents

I imagine calcium carbonate powder is okay because the body can read this form of calcium but the impurities will be a problem after a while. Powdered egg shells or powdered oysters shells are much better. 1 Tablespoon a day would be fine.

peatarian

Charlie said:

He told me that it's only necessary to keep it in the fridge if you have the bottle for months. If you use one within two or three months or less you don't need to keep it cold. There is no light and no air in the bottle.

peatarian

Birdie said:
Charlie said:
I remember that he discovered it mixed into the vit E easily. He got his patent on that. I'm not sure you've got the other quite right.

Charlie is right, because of the combination with vitamin E the progesterone avoids the liver during 'first pass' and is absorbed by the mucous membranes of the stomach.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals