Progesterone Or Pregnenolone For Men?

OK, so, my questions are probably elementary subject matter and they've probably already been answered but I couldn't find the right info no matter how much I searched.

I am a man with bad estrogen dominance. My doctor prescribed me bio-identical testosterone cream but I've read that testosterone converts to estrogens easily in people with metabolic or nutritional problems. Does Peat recommend Progest-E or pregnenolone for men? I have liver problems too, possibly from toxic metals and fungal overgrowth, so I'm not sure if hormone treatment can help... I figure my liver might not be detoxing estrogen properly. Just looking for some basic help I guess.

jyb

You'd have to try for yourself - in theory pregnelonone firstly. If its like me and you're unlucky, then you'll discover within a day that its doesn't feel right, which could be due to either impurities in the supplement or to a metabolic problem. Then you could try some progesterone.

HDD

Are you using aspirin?

The following is from another thread by Peatarian. Peatarian has been studying and applying Ray Peat's philosophy for several years.

"To lower your estrogen start by using aspirin. Make sure you use about 500mg after meals three times a day. Always dissolve the pills in warm water first and drink some Coca-Cola or Orange Juice with it."

HDD

Too late to edit my post above.

"Since the polyunsaturated fats and prostaglandins stimulate the expression of aromatase, the enzyme that synthesizes estrogen, aspirin decreases the production of estrogen. So many of aspirin's effects oppose those of estrogen, it would be tempting to suggest that its "basic action" is the suppression of estrogen. But I think it's more likely that both estrogen and aspirin are acting on some basic processes, in approximately opposite ways."

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat said:
Antiendorphin, antiexcitotoxic, anticholinergic, antiprostaglandin, and antiglucocorticoid drugs have been used with good effect in various degenerative nervous diseases, but all the so called "anti" drugs are imprecise antagonists, and have many side effects.The natural antagonists and nutrients are usually helpful. Protein, sodium, magnesium, carbon dioxide/bicarbonate, progesterone, thyroid, vitamins, etc., can be curative in many brain diseases, but are seldom tried because of the cultic medical ideas about nutrition, hormone tests, and the nature of cells and disease.

OP
H
Haagendazendiane said:
Are you using aspirin?

The following is from another thread by Peatarian. Peatarian has been studying and applying Ray Peat's philosophy for several years.

"To lower your estrogen start by using aspirin. Make sure you use about 500mg after meals three times a day. Always dissolve the pills in warm water first and drink some Coca-Cola or Orange Juice with it."

Not taking it... I've read it can be hard on the digestive tract and the liver. Am I completely wrong?

HDD

"Although the animal studies that showed stomach damage from aspirin often used single doses equivalent to 10 or 100 aspirin tablets, the slight irritation produced by a normal dose of aspirin can be minimized by dissolving the aspirin in water. The stomach develops a tolerance for aspirin over a period of a few days, allowing the dose to be increased if necessary. And both aspirin and salicylic acid can be absorbed through the skin, so rheumatic problems have been treated by adding the drug to bath water."
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml
(Bold mine)

Peatarian's recommendation of dissolving and taking with orange juice or coke is for prevention of stomach and liver issues.

HDD

Vitamin e and carrot salad help in removing estrogen, too.

OP
H
Thanks for the help. I'm taking a vitamin E complex and I do the daily carrot salad, which definitely seems helpful for digestion and motility, but I haven't notice an effect on estrogen dominance symptoms.

johns74

Lita Lee, in her fruit of cholesterol article, says that it's not good for young males because it suppresses libido.

I guess one possibility of how progesterone could be bad for males is reduction of DHT, if DHT happens to have effects other than libido, which are vital.

johns74

One thing that gives me pause about progesterone for males is that it has similar effects to finasteride, the hair loss drug. One similar effect is inhibition of DHT. Finasteride can result in permanent erectile dysfunction. While this effect probably can't happen with progesterone, can supraphysiological progesterone in males and finasteride have some overlapping toxic effects?

Zinc and B6 inhibit 5α-reductase, so there you go. Don't eat zinc or vitamins.

johns74

Such_Saturation said:

I'm just saying it should be researched. I'm not yet as wise as you to rule out bad effects.

I read that finasteride and progesterone are similar chemically. I wouldn't think zinc is similar chemically to finasteride.

johns74 said:
Such_Saturation said:

I'm just saying it should be researched. I'm not yet as wise as you to rule out bad effects.

Well, there are few experiments within our grasp which are better than taking it ourselves, and many males take a low or high dose with regularity. I never took more than a few drops but the problem if any is rather the opposite than the one you fear.

No idea! Of course there is little difference between "brains" when they are healthy. The stereotypes always refer to underlying conditions.