Face Moisturiser?

Nstocks

Not exactly a supplement but can anybody recommend a facial moisturiser (other than coconut oil)? I have mostly dry skin with slight rocesea around my nose and under my eyes. I've been using an organic snail cream but the second ingredient is olive oil. It seems that after extensive use, the Vitamin E apparently can cause excess shedding of the cells, and dryness. (and mild breakouts).

I have a pure snail serum (99%) which is fine, but it's not a moisturiser. I find that I need to exfoliate my forehead and nose every other day! (minor breakouts are along my jawline). I only splash my face with cool water once a day and use either a honey and coffee mask to exfoliate, or a muslin cloth.

In the past I've used various oils, including jojoba but I don't find that they help that much - just stain my skin a weird colour and can cause breakouts. I've tried things like E45 but that made my skin very greasy and shiny.

Any advice is appreciated!

paper_clips43

I am not saying you need to try the following remedies.
I am just posting my experience with how I solved my acne and dry skin issues.

Urine therapy was a godsend at the time I found out about it. It healed my acne more than anything else I ever did and only left me with a couple occasional pimples and white heads.
Then I stopped washing my face altogether and wouldn't let it get wet when I was in the shower and it solved the remaining skin issues.

These probably sound like extreme measures and I bet most people wouldn't follow them although I have seen it cure mine and some of my friends skin problems.
Its funny its like a had a little secret about my friends. They all put a little urine on there face every day and no one ever knew. Except me ;)

Also microdermabrasion seemed to make my skin look pretty nice back when I was using products and washing every day. Also fresh Aloe Vera was a really nice natural moisturizer.

OP
N

Nstocks

I've heard of the first one (urine) but never really understood why it's beneficial to apply potentially toxic waste on one's skin! How do you apply it? Do you leave it on all day or use like a mask?

I also went months without letting water or anything touch my face and for a few days after removing the dead skin mask, my face looked good, but it didn't help with acne and just felt really disgusting. (not that I'm a super-clean freak)

I'm looking at using fruit peels (grapes) for a better way to remove dead skin cells. My acne isn't that bad but overall my skin is dry and quite red in places. I'll look into urine!

paper_clips43

I first started putting urine on the face while I was in the shower and then washing it off.
I then started to put it on the fact after the shower and didn't wash it off. I asked several people to smell me and my face at different intervals after I had applied it i.e. 1 hour, 20 minutes, 15 minutes. Not a single person said they could smell any urine. I am guessing the skin just absorbs it.

Interesting about the grapes! Please share your experience.

honeybee

I gave up on commercial moisturizers. I make my own out of aloe( its estrogenic but I have yet find anything else that's works as well for me), glycerine, drops vit e, bit of tea tree, and Niacinamide. Small batches. Really evened out my skin tone and no more acne.

Kray

honeybee said:
I gave up on commercial moisturizers. I make my own out of aloe( its estrogenic but I have yet find anything else that's works as well for me), glycerine, drops vit e, bit of tea tree, and Niacinamide. Small batches. Really evened out my skin tone and no more acne.

Hello all,

For very dry facial skin, what might work best-- the aloe (is that just the gel?) or keeping water away from it, both, or other? And even if it is dry, is it best to do some sort of exfoliating to help shed the outer dry cells? What might work best for that? Thanks for any advice! :?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I noticed that on the ARK of Wellness site there are some skin creams for purchase. I have not tried them personally but they may be decent products to investigate since the lady who has that site is a nutritionists who follows a Peat inspired approach. I just thought I would mention that if it might be of help to someone. :D

HDD

From an older post-

Godiva wrote:
"I just wanted to chime in and let you know that coconut oil isn't the only non-PUFA oil which you can use. Tallow (beef fat) has traditionally been used for skin care and it works very well. It sounds gross, but if you think about it, were animals, not plants. The oils which our skin produces naturally are animal fats. Our skin cells require a large amount of saturated fat for cellular integrity. I know coconut oil is also saturated and I do use a tiny bit of it on my hair, but it didn't do much for my seriously dry skin. Tallow completely cures it. The only time I get dry again is if I take a shower and forget to re-apply it. I'm still young (under 30), but due to my eye shape and tendency for dry skin, I was already experiencing drooping eyelids. With a homemade tallow balm and nothing else, they have completely corrected. My skin is soft, smooth, and even. I don't have to use foundation anymore. I use it head to toe and also on my girls. It is pretty greasy at first but it soaks in quickly, or if you're in a rush or just don't like the feel, massage it in (after a shower is best), wait a minute, then wipe off the excess with a towel.

This may be a hard sell for your customers though. Most people are thoroughly grossed out by the idea of using animal fat thanks to all the vegans pushing companies away from animal based products. (Many lipsticks still contain tallow though so you could point out that they have probably already used it) Even my husband who is pretty relaxed about most things gets a little icked out every time I make it. He does admit that it makes me softer than anything else I've used and so he tolerates it I would keep both tallow and coconut oil on hand for if you have vegan clients.

You can buy it at http://vintagetradition.com/ or if you want you can try making it yourself. It's easy and cheap. I can make about a 2 month supply for 3 people for less than 4 dollars. They have instructions on there but I can give you mine (slightly different) if you like. Just let me know."
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1621&hilit=Tallow&start=40

Kray

Haagendazendiane said:
From an older post-

Godiva wrote:
"I just wanted to chime in and let you know that coconut oil isn't the only non-PUFA oil which you can use. Tallow (beef fat) has traditionally been used for skin care and it works very well. It sounds gross, but if you think about it, were animals, not plants. The oils which our skin produces naturally are animal fats. Our skin cells require a large amount of saturated fat for cellular integrity. I know coconut oil is also saturated and I do use a tiny bit of it on my hair, but it didn't do much for my seriously dry skin. Tallow completely cures it. The only time I get dry again is if I take a shower and forget to re-apply it. I'm still young (under 30), but due to my eye shape and tendency for dry skin, I was already experiencing drooping eyelids. With a homemade tallow balm and nothing else, they have completely corrected. My skin is soft, smooth, and even. I don't have to use foundation anymore. I use it head to toe and also on my girls. It is pretty greasy at first but it soaks in quickly, or if you're in a rush or just don't like the feel, massage it in (after a shower is best), wait a minute, then wipe off the excess with a towel.

This may be a hard sell for your customers though. Most people are thoroughly grossed out by the idea of using animal fat thanks to all the vegans pushing companies away from animal based products. (Many lipsticks still contain tallow though so you could point out that they have probably already used it) Even my husband who is pretty relaxed about most things gets a little icked out every time I make it. He does admit that it makes me softer than anything else I've used and so he tolerates it I would keep both tallow and coconut oil on hand for if you have vegan clients.

You can buy it at http://vintagetradition.com/ or if you want you can try making it yourself. It's easy and cheap. I can make about a 2 month supply for 3 people for less than 4 dollars. They have instructions on there but I can give you mine (slightly different) if you like. Just let me know."

Thank you, H.D.D. ;)

OP
N

Nstocks

I tried the urine therapy!

I actually drank around 1/4 of a cup after researching urine but that's not something I will be doing again any time soon! (taste is VERY strong, make me feel sick).

I've also been applying it to my face. First thing in the morning I pee in a cup and use cotton pads to apply it on my face, rinsing it off after 10 minutes. It;s obviously too early to say yet but my skin seem to be getting redder. (I definitely have rosecea under my eye area/around my nose).

I've heard of using animal fat, but I'd probably need to make my own and omit any other ingredients. (like Vit E which I'm sure is why my skins cells shed so quickly and need exfoliating so often)

I'll keep you posted on my results. Thanks for the suggestions.

Peata

EVOO, but make sure it's from a good source. See Extra Virginity for some brands.

I've made some nice cream by mixing coconut oil, cocoa butter, and a few drops of Progest-E.

Jojoba, but you said that didn't work well for you.

Lately though, I'm just using Cerave PM, 2xday. Has questionable ingredients, but my skin seems to like it, so I'm using it for now.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
classicallady said:
Haagendazendiane said:
From an older post-

Godiva wrote:

Thank you, H.D.D. ;)
I have some vintage tradition almost unscented body balm that I found in my vanity left over from my paleo days. The ingredients are listed as: tallow from 100% grass-fed cows, extra virgin olive oil, essential oils(cedarwood, lavender,sandalwood).

OP
N

Nstocks

Two days with the urine wash, I think that's it. I'm breaking out in small pimples on my chin and cheeks. Plus my face seems to be on fire! It's always a little red, but where I have rosecea it seems even worse.

Most organic creams I've found seem to have "pore-clogging" ingredients. Cocoa butter for one.

What does everyone think about this? : http://www.greenpasturefarms.co.uk/prod ... f-dripping

It's organic and grass fed, but not deodorised. I also don't know if it will clog pores or how it will sit on my skin. (coconut oil does just that, and makes my skin dry)

Not washing my face at all sounds great, but in reality I end up getting (natural) hair conditioner on my forehead or down my jawline (where acne is)... The dead skin mask is also not what I want when dealing with people at work!

Thanks for your help.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
In another thread forum member himsahimsa mentioned ghee/clarified butter, I think I might try that since it seems simple and easy to purchase.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nstocks said:
Two days with the urine wash, I think that's it. I'm breaking out in small pimples on my chin and cheeks. Plus my face seems to be on fire! It's always a little red, but where I have rosecea it seems even worse.

Most organic creams I've found seem to have "pore-clogging" ingredients. Cocoa butter for one.

What does everyone think about this? : http://www.greenpasturefarms.co.uk/prod ... f-dripping

It's organic and grass fed, but not deodorised. I also don't know if it will clog pores or how it will sit on my skin. (coconut oil does just that, and makes my skin dry)

Not washing my face at all sounds great, but in reality I end up getting (natural) hair conditioner on my forehead or down my jawline (where acne is)... The dead skin mask is also not what I want when dealing with people at work!

Thanks for your help.
I think you should give it a shot! It looks simple and affordable and if it doesn't work for your skin you could use it for cooking.

paper_clips43

Ya it doesn't sound like its working for you Nstocks. I remember having a positive reaction to it right away.
Tallow is super easy to make, I am actually making some right now. By making some I mean sitting on my butt while the oven does the job :)
That tallow from green pastures looks like its the exact same thing as homemade so its worth a try.

If the tallow ends up working for maybe check out how to make it at home. Its super easy and cost affordable!
Let us know how it goes!

paper_clips43

+1 from me for applying tallow to the skin :)
Been doing this at night and it seems to be really helpful.
Careful though because a little goes a long way and it can be pretty greesy looking on the skin.
I totally thought it was going to make me break out the first time I applied it a couple days ago although it has only improved my skin health so far.
How is your experiments with facial moisturizing going Nstocks?

OP
N

Nstocks

I've been trying to find out wether or not tallow is comedogenic before I try it, but due to the unpopularity of using this, nobody knows!

I've not tried a new moisturiser yet - just giving my skin a little break from products and strangely, it seems to work! I have been exfoliating almost daily to shed the dry skin though. It's still red and dry-looking so I do need something.

Does the tallow leave your skin smelly? (the one I'm looking to buy is for cooking and isn't deodorised). Does it absorb into the skin quickly? I could probably just apply it at night and by morning it should have completely absorbed.