Great lake gelatin hydrolysate vs Gelatin powder

Kasper

I've read that the great lake has more toxic metals then any other water ever measured.
I've heard some people saying here that great lake gelatin does contain quite some lead.
I'm actually thinking, why would I but this product ?

There seem to be plenty of gelatin powders available.
Which are also so much cheaper than great lake gelatin.
Like http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Beef-Ge ... B000MGR302

Wouldn't that be a cheaper, less toxic, overall better option ?

jyb

Where did you read this? I was under the impression that GL costs more due to quality. Also, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a hydrolysate powder other than from GL, on the sites that sell those kinds of powder.

Dan W

Kasper said:
I've read that the great lake has more toxic metals then any other water ever measured.
I think the business is located there (they appear to be in Illinois), but the cattle are "grass fed and slaughtered in Argentina and Brazil" (source). They have some element analyses that look ok to me, though the consumer products might be different. Though I'd almost expect the consumer products to be better (if anything) because a lot of business probably don't care about lead content.

The price is painful though. I'm watching my spending and buying the more affordable gelatin from bulkfoods.com (thanks to Jenn for mentioning them). Somebody mentioned they may actually be from the same supplier as Great Lakes.

Adnada

Dan Wich said:
I think the business is located there (they appear to be in Illinois), but the cattle are "grass fed and slaughtered in Argentina and Brazil" (source). They have some element analyses that look ok to me, though the consumer products might be different. Though I'd almost expect the consumer products to be better (if anything) because a lot of business probably don't care about lead content.

The price is painful though. I'm watching my spending and buying the more affordable gelatin from bulkfoods.com (thanks to Jenn for mentioning them). Somebody mentioned they may actually be from the same supplier as Great Lakes.

Dan, what gelatin are you using these days? Any new info?

lindsay

I don't know about the toxicity level of Great Lakes gelatin vs. others, but in the past I had horrible stomach troubles with Knox, which led me straight to Great Lakes in the first place. I did well with great lakes, but recently decided the price was getting too high, so I bought Bernard Jensen's. Not a fan - endotoxin issues arise every time I eat the stuff. I thought it was the added vitamins in my milk, but it seems that the gelatin is the bigger problem. I will either go back to GL, or find someone with the most sensitive stomach in the world who can recommend me a brand they use. I don't want to waste money trying new brands. Anybody out there have one they like?

Which brings me to RP - what brand of gelatin does he use?

Jennifer

lindsay said:
I don't know about the toxicity level of Great Lakes gelatin vs. others, but in the past I had horrible stomach troubles with Knox, which led me straight to Great Lakes in the first place. I did well with great lakes, but recently decided the price was getting too high, so I bought Bernard Jensen's. Not a fan - endotoxin issues arise every time I eat the stuff. I thought it was the added vitamins in my milk, but it seems that the gelatin is the bigger problem. I will either go back to GL, or find someone with the most sensitive stomach in the world who can recommend me a brand they use. I don't want to waste money trying new brands. Anybody out there have one they like?

I'm just seeing your post now. I just finished responding to your PM. So that answers my question. You obviously didn't do well on the Bernard Jensen. :(

My gut is in pretty bad shape so I'll make a small batch of gummies tonight using the Great Lakes bovine gelatin and milk instead of juice and I'll let you know how I tolerate it.

But if your in a hurry to place an order, this may help you make a decision. My mom had chronic diarrhea to the point that she ended up in the ER from dehydration. I've been making her gummies with the Great Lakes bovine gelatin and she tolerates it quite well and says it has really helped her.

kenji

lindsay said:

I've been using Now gelatin for more than 2 years. Never had a problem.

kiran

lindsay said:

Not sure where I read this, but I think he uses great lakes or gelatin innovations.
I recently started discarding the bottom inch or so of the gelatin liquid, that seems to help me.

Dan Wich said:
...I'm watching my spending and buying the more affordable gelatin from bulkfoods.com (thanks to Jenn for mentioning them). Somebody mentioned they may actually be from the same supplier as Great Lakes.
Hi Dan, I asked bulkfoods and got this:

bulkfoods.com said:
Hello,

We are unfamiliar with the gelatin from the company Great Lakes. The gelatin we carry is hydrosylate.

Thank You,
Customer Service
http://www.BulkFoods.com

Dan W

Adnada said:
Dan, what gelatin are you using these days? Any new info?
Hey Adnada, sorry for the late reply, I overlooked this thread. I'm still using bulkfoods brand, and it's been working fine for me.

And Visionofstrength, thanks for contacting them. It's weird that they say it's hydrosylate. Unless I'm missing something obvious, the gelatin I received from them is regular gelatin (doesn't dissolve easily and sets for gummies).

jaa

My Bulkfoods gelatin acts the same as Dan's (non-hydroslatey).