Synergistic Effects Of Vitamin E And Selenium:iron-overload

Daimyo

I was looking for info about fertilizing soil with elemental selenium and I found this:

"The synergistic effects of vitamin E and selenium in iron-overloaded mouse hearts:

MAIN RESULTS:

Significantly greater concentrations of heart selenium and glutathione peroxidase activity were observed in groups supplemented with both agents, as opposed to iron-only treated or single supplemented mice. Significantly lower concentrations of iron were found in controls and in those receiving combined iron and antioxidant treatment (vitamin E + selenium) than in iron-only treated mice.
CONCLUSIONS:

Vitamin E and selenium function synergistically in the myocardium to provide important antioxidant defenses in iron-overload states, including increased concentrations of selenium, increased glutathione peroxidase activity and decreased concentrations of iron.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9706279

whit

I was looking for info about fertilizing soil with elemental selenium and I found this:

"The synergistic effects of vitamin E and selenium in iron-overloaded mouse hearts:

MAIN RESULTS:

Significantly greater concentrations of heart selenium and glutathione peroxidase activity were observed in groups supplemented with both agents, as opposed to iron-only treated or single supplemented mice. Significantly lower concentrations of iron were found in controls and in those receiving combined iron and antioxidant treatment (vitamin E + selenium) than in iron-only treated mice.
CONCLUSIONS:

Vitamin E and selenium function synergistically in the myocardium to provide important antioxidant defenses in iron-overload states, including increased concentrations of selenium, increased glutathione peroxidase activity and decreased concentrations of iron.

The synergistic effects of vitamin E and selenium in iron-overloaded mouse hearts. - PubMed - NCBI
Great find Daimyo!
Thanks for sharing. Just goes to prove everything in balance is the key.
Often it's the right combination not one lone substance that moves the dial.

Yes i have checked that before. The common food that is both high in vitamin e and selenium is sunflower seeds?

I just hope that brazil nuts is easily obtain in my country

Peater Piper

List of food that is both high in selenium and vitamin E?
There really aren't any great food sources of vitamin e except maybe unrefined red palm oil. It doesn't seem like it was ever a major part of the human diet. I think it's more likely high amounts of vitamin c and other nutrients were consumed that helped recycle the vitamin e in the body.

whit

Selenium can be toxic at higher levels (selenosis) so caution should be observed when supplementing the element. Some of the plants that carry it have to be boiled and the first water poured off.
Eggs are a good source of both. A lot of mushrooms carry selenium but little if any E. Horsetail herb carries both as well. Seafood can also be a good source.
Selenium can also chelate some other heavy metals. Namely mercury.

Frankdee20

Thoughts on Sodiumselenite vs Selenomethionine vs Selenium from yeast vs Selenium Citrate ?

blueorca

This explains when i take Selenized Yeast and Vitamin why stools are black. Its removing the Iron from my body. Thank you so much, I've been worried.

This explains when i take Selenized Yeast and Vitamin why stools are black. Its removing the Iron from my body. Thank you so much, I've been worried.

Black stool is warning. Get to a doctor ASAP. Could be internal bleeding.