Necessary to boil and bake eggshells to make calcium?

freyasam

Hi all,

I dread making powdered eggshell--boiling shells, baking them, and then grinding. And I've always wondered if boiling the eggshells would leach some of the mineral content into the boiling water, especially if using reverse osmosis water (pure H20).

Would baking the eggshells be enough to kill pathogens? That is, skip the boiling step?

Thanks

jyb

I make the assumption that 10 minutes boiling is enough to kill bacteria. It seems like a standard procedure. Then I only put it a few minutes in the oven to dry them off, so that grinding becomes possible. Boiling them instead of baking them for the purpose of killing germs seems neater, because it does a rinse too. High heat won't damage the calcium carbonate.

I think if the calcium had leaked into the water, there would be no egg left.

Mittir

I remember that purpose of boiling is to remove additives, cleaners and
killing bacteria.Only baking will kill bacteria but wont remove the additives
and the chemical they use to wash the eggs. I do not react well to egg shell
powder. But i get bad reaction from egg white and to lesser extent from egg yolk.
Removing the thin white layer under the shell is recommended to minimize
allergic reaction. If you get bad reaction from egg shell powder you may try
Oyster shell powder.

NaKCaMg

The eggs available to me locally are "pastured" and grain (non gmo) fed. Unfortunately the eggs are also "oiled" for longer shelf life. :( To get around this I'll either boil or soak(30-45min) the eggs with vinegar in the water then rub/rinse the brownish oil off. For boiled just peel, other uses crack open egg then rinse shell. After the shells dry, I bake them, usually do a dozen or so at a time. Maybe the oil on the shells is why some people don't tolerate this form of calcium....?

Raypmom

freyasam said:
Hi all,

I dread making powdered eggshell--boiling shells, baking them, and then grinding. And I've always wondered if boiling the eggshells would leach some of the mineral content into the boiling water, especially if using reverse osmosis water (pure H20).

Would baking the eggshells be enough to kill pathogens? That is, skip the boiling step?

Thanks

Can I do this with pastured so free eggs? I can get the from a farmer. I don't eat the eggs b/c I feel weird after. I limit to maybe 1 /week and only yolk. But my husband eats a lot of egg and I can use the shells? I honesly think the quality of the egss for consuming is not that great. But the farmer claims, pastured/grassfed and soy free feed but the yolk is bright yellow not dark rich in orange like how people claim "good eggs" are ??? Please your thoughts.

Jenn

Color is determined by what they eat, but lot's of different things can contribute to color. My chickens are free range year round. I only feed them when they can't forage, such as an ice storm. They eat bugs, worms, grubs, grass, tender foliage of whatever is available. The color varies significantly from winter to summer. In the winter, they are sunflower yellow, in the summer when the grasshoppers are raging, they are dark orange with a hint of red. Orange can also be beta carotene too, from the summer grasses or some people feed marigold to get that color. The real determiner of the health of the egg, IMO, is the strength of the shell.The harder the shell, the healthier the chicken.

Jenn said:
Color is determined by what they eat, but lot's of different things can contribute to color. My chickens are free range year round. I only feed them when they can't forage, such as an ice storm. They eat bugs, worms, grubs, grass, tender foliage of whatever is available. The color varies significantly from winter to summer. In the winter, they are sunflower yellow, in the summer when the grasshoppers are raging, they are dark orange with a hint of red. Orange can also be beta carotene too, from the summer grasses or some people feed marigold to get that color. The real determiner of the health of the egg, IMO, is the strength of the shell.The harder the shell, the healthier the chicken.

I do notice that supermarket eggs are brittle compared to those labelled "organic".

Jenn

A lot of times, yes. I have also had eggs from friends and neighbors that I stuck my finger through by accident because I was expecting more resistance. Organic or commercial or from an individual, the shells don't lie. I once got some free chickens from someone who was moving and one of their young hes lay eggs without shells at all for a few weeks. It took a few weeks after that to not be able to tell which eggs were her's by strength of shell.

Peatri Dish

Peat told the story in one of his interviews about pumping CO2 into the hen house to strengthen the shell. Wish I could remember which interview. Maybe someone else recalls.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals