L-lysine - Serotonin Antagonist

emmanceb

How far away from food would be ideal?

I eat frequently and the only time I really have an empty stomach is morning, which is obviously not the best time to wait for absorption.

narouz

sunmountain said:
Can anyone post a US source for l-lysine?
thanks

I've used Carlson granulated
and Swanson "AjiPure" (or somesuch).
I think the latter has some silica in it
so I prefer the Carlson.

sunmountain

Thanks, Emmaceb and Narouz...The GNC has povidone added in it, which is antibacterial, right? I want with no added ingredients, so going with Carlson powder.

Thanks again!

emmanceb

sunmountain said:
Thanks, Emmaceb and Narouz...The GNC has povidone added in it, which is antibacterial, right? I want with no added ingredients, so going with Carlson powder.

Thanks again!

Not sure about the specifics on Povidone but it's portrayed as a negative on Toxinless

They have a 500mg and 1g version, for some reason the 1g has povidone, the 500mg has cellulose I think

janus

emmanceb said:
How far away from food would be ideal?

I eat frequently and the only time I really have an empty stomach is morning, which is obviously not the best time to wait for absorption.

Might be just-as-good or better with food, to blunt any pro-serotonin effects and synergize with other positive nutrients.

onioneyedox

Just got some lysine for a test. I took about 1 gram and definitely got some very strong Frisson effects (elevated dopamine?) while listening some youtube music and reading this thread. Not totally unusual but it did feel rather strong effect for not being live music and in so mundane setting.

I'm planning to take a gram a day for now and see how it goes.

BobbyDukes

I've also got pretty dramatic effects from it. Despite Peating for a while now, I still clearly have serotonin issues. The way Lysine lifts the crud from my soul, has shown me that.

I think it does indeed all start in the gut, and unfortunately the vast majority of food available, is going to irritate my gut one way, or another.

Does this stuff work long term? And is a supplement like Lysine necessary long term, considering the serotonergic, toxic, stressed world we live in. Reducing PUFA clearly has benefits, but my reaction to Lysine has shown me how compromised my body is.

G

gummybear

Got some lysine to try, 250g. Maybe took 4g a few hours ago. Don't feel much really. I was expecting more tbh. Maybe a bit better mood, more cocky.

Got it from myprotein based in uk. Seems like ok company, had some peatish stuff.

G

gummybear

BobbyDukes said:
I've also got pretty dramatic effects from it. Despite Peating for a while now, I still clearly have serotonin issues. The way Lysine lifts the crud from my soul, has shown me that.

I think it does indeed all start in the gut, and unfortunately the vast majority of food available, is going to irritate my gut one way, or another.

Does this stuff work long term? And is a supplement like Lysine necessary long term, considering the serotonergic, toxic, stressed world we live in. Reducing PUFA clearly has benefits, but my reaction to Lysine has shown me how compromised my body is.

How much did you take? What effects do you feel?

Brian

When I take about 3 grams with milk and go outside in the sun I sometimes get a blissful feeling that makes me involuntarily smile. It doesn't seem to work every single time. I'm not sure why, but it's definitely not placebo. The feeling is very pronounced and lasts for hours.

jyb

onioneyedox said:
Just got some lysine for a test. I took about 1 gram and definitely got some very strong Frisson effects (elevated dopamine?) while listening some youtube music and reading this thread. Not totally unusual but it did feel rather strong effect for not being live music and in so mundane setting.

I'm planning to take a gram a day for now and see how it goes.

Also got a record Frisson effect while reading something and listening to music. Maybe half-hour after a dairy meal with supplemented Lysine (1 or 2 grams). The effect lasted a long long while then I almost shed tears. This was all the more noticeable that I rarely get a Frisson effect at all.

Makrosky

haidut said:
chris said:
haidut said:
You feel like the situation is overwhelming and you can't muster up the strength to overcome it (low cortisol/adrenalin) even though you are brimming with motivation to do it (high dopamine).

Wow, I have had this feeling so many times yet never seen it written down like this. Is low cortisol and adrenalin not a positive thing? What can we do to keep the motivation but reduce the helplessness feeling?

If metabolism is not working well for whatever reason, the body compensates with increasing the stress hormones. So, if you lower these without simultaneously restoring thyroid function then you may end up feeling exhausted / weak. I think the adrenal fatigue that so many people report is actually this - hypothyroid people relying on stress hormones somehow ending up lowering them while still being hypothyroid.
It is good to lower the stress hormones, but it has to go hand in hand with restoring thyroid.

Haidut,

But if you lower stress hormones + serotonin + avoiding PUFA and let the body rest and recover, the thyroid will start to work efficiently on it's own, right ?

Makrosky

haidut said:
For a general metabolic boost and protection against many degenerative diseases which I cannot list here for obvious (hint: legal) reasons, a good approach may be to take thiamine, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine, and biotin. I would add to that caffeine for its overall metabolic effects and ability to extend maximum lifespan by 50%+, the 4 fat-soluble vitamins, and aspirin as needed (maybe take 2-3 times a week like Peat does). Pretty much all of these have been covered by Peat in his articles but now we have specific studies listing specific dosages for each substance and its expected effects on many conditions.
The above substances alone and in combination will have effects on serotonin, estrogen, dopamine, histamine, ammonia, and prostaglandins. There are other things one can add as needed but I think these are pretty solid in terms of evidence.

Hey haidut,

I'm wondering ... Why not a B-complex then ?

I'm wondering ... Why not a simple good multivitamin without iron that includes the 4soulubles+B-complex+zin+selenium,etc. ?

To me, having to take so many different things causes mental stress.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
haidut said:
For a general metabolic boost and protection against many degenerative diseases which I cannot list here for obvious (hint: legal) reasons, a good approach may be to take thiamine, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine, and biotin. I would add to that caffeine for its overall metabolic effects and ability to extend maximum lifespan by 50%+, the 4 fat-soluble vitamins, and aspirin as needed (maybe take 2-3 times a week like Peat does). Pretty much all of these have been covered by Peat in his articles but now we have specific studies listing specific dosages for each substance and its expected effects on many conditions.
The above substances alone and in combination will have effects on serotonin, estrogen, dopamine, histamine, ammonia, and prostaglandins. There are other things one can add as needed but I think these are pretty solid in terms of evidence.

Hey haidut,

I'm wondering ... Why not a simple good multivitamin without iron that includes the 4soulubles+B-complex+zin+selenium,etc. ?

I guess it could help. The problem I have with most B complex products is that they are often not balanced properly. For instance, it is common to see a product called B-50 or B-100 where it would have 100mg of each B vitamin (lower doses for folic acid, biotin and B12). This is not proper balance since 50mg or 100mg of B6 in a single dose is too much unless you are treating a condition like high prolactin. Also, B3 used in these products is often niacin, which is not optimal and also taking 50mg or 100mg of that can make you flush uncomfortably.
There is no rationale behind including each B vitamin in equal doses. The studies I have seen list specific doses for each vitamin and the optimal ratio is not a simple task to figure out. For now, I'd stick with whatever Ray recommends for each vitamin and then add a low dose B complex if needed to get the missing B vitamins.
Our products such as Energin try to get to that "optimal" balance but it will take some time until I get enough data on human usage to see how people react to it and determine if the doses need to be adjusted. Ultimately, no single supplement will work for everybody so taking individual vitamins may be needed to adjust the dose for each person. Energin and EstroBan are formulated based on studies showing that, statistically (on average), these are the doses that benefit majority of people while minimizing risk of side effects.

Makrosky

haidut said:
Makrosky said:
haidut said:

Hey haidut,

I guess it could help. The problem I have with most B complex products is that they are often not balanced properly. For instance, it is common to see a product called B-50 or B-100 where it would have 100mg of each B vitamin (lower doses for folic acid, biotin and B12). This is not proper balance since 50mg or 100mg of B6 in a single dose is too much unless you are treating a condition like high prolactin. Also, B3 used in these products is often niacin, which is not optimal and also taking 50mg or 100mg of that can make you flush uncomfortably.
There is no rationale behind including each B vitamin in equal doses. The studies I have seen list specific doses for each vitamin and the optimal ratio is not a simple task to figure out. For now, I'd stick with whatever Ray recommends for each vitamin and then add a low dose B complex if needed to get the missing B vitamins.
Our products such as Energin try to get to that "optimal" balance but it will take some time until I get enough data on human usage to see how people react to it and determine if the doses need to be adjusted. Ultimately, no single supplement will work for everybody so taking individual vitamins may be needed to adjust the dose for each person. Energin and EstroBan are formulated based on studies showing that, statistically (on average), these are the doses that benefit majority of people while minimizing risk of side effects.

makes sense! Thanks man!