On The Back Of A Tiger - An Interview With The Filmmakers

Lilac

That was excellent. As Ray doesn't seem to have known about the Peat community, I get the feeling that he does everything himself, including mailing out the books and newsletters. I wish the filmmakers could get him in the same room with Ling and others and just film them talking.

answersfound

Ray actually used to troll this community under the name Westside PUFA's.

lookingforanswers said:
Ray actually used to troll this community under the name Westside PUFA's.

When did he stop :cool:

OP
Dan W

Dan W

He also created a comedic persona named "Dr. John McDougall", which has gotten a little out of hand.

peat-mcdougall.jpg

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Haha, I actually love McDougall, but I fear he's going to send his army of vegan assassins to take that guy out. Probably with potato cannons.

A diet of beans would probably be sufficient :mrgreen:

jaguar43

The most interesting thing about the interview was Ray Peat stating that it was impossible to reduce his recommendations to a standardize diet. Which many of the "old timers" have been saying for quite some time on this forum.

It's also interesting to hear that he thinks that one of the variables that dictate your diet is your socio economic class. Which is something very few people are willing to discuss due to the political implications of the situation.

I think this film will ultimately shine a light on some of the issues that are dealt with on this forum. Really glad to see it happening!!

:mrgreen: skunkpaste is one of Youtube's hidden gems.

Sheik

I can't laugh at people for some reason. I'd like to see the humor in people's stupidity but I just don't. Also not sure if skunkpaste is serious or trolling.

tara

jag2594 said:
The most interesting thing about the interview was Ray Peat stating that it was impossible to reduce his recommendations to a standardize diet. Which many of the "old timers" have been saying for quite some time on this forum.

It's also interesting to hear that he thinks that one of the variables that dictate your diet is your socio economic class. Which is something very few people are willing to discuss due to the political implications of the situation.

I think this film will ultimately shine a light on some of the issues that are dealt with on this forum. Really glad to see it happening!!
Yes, yes, and yes. :)
From my PoV, it seems pretty obvious that class and related access to resources has a lot to do with what people eat, as well as how much time we can spend relaxing, in the sun, etc, and how hard we have to work physically, the hazards in our environment, what other stresses we have to endure, and what power we have to improve things. Health stats clearly show a relation to class. And that's in the relatively wealthy countries. Even more so in countries that have overall access to much less resources.
Peat talks about figuring out what foods will be helpful for people who don't have access to lots of expensive foods and supplements, eg potatoes, potato juice. And he talks about the quality of food, which is largely a consequence of the industrial agricultural system, a feature of the current class systems.
And then there is the way the class system is set up to mess with science, education, increase the burden of toxic chemicals of all sorts, and all the other externalities perpetuated by our current social/economic/financial systems.
Class is all about politics, and there is probably no way of really improving most people's health in the long run without political change that addresses the problems it causes.

Dan Wich said:
He also created a comedic persona named "Dr. John McDougall", which has gotten a little out of hand.

peat-mcdougall.jpg

I think this is a better doppelgänger. Thumbs up if you know who that is on the left:

2ltpqip.jpg

OP
Dan W

Dan W

I've thought that same thing. They both have similar delivery too.

I wonder what Dawkins would think of OTBOAT. He made a documentary about how homeopathy is quackery "The Enemies of Reason," so I wonder how he would view "energy and structure are interdependent, at every level." I'd tell him "Ray Peat is a real biologist though, not an alternative naturopath."

Waynish

How can we trust these guys? Two of their interviewees have died since filming started, they both work (or have worked) for the Gates Foundation, and they're likely both Jewish... And they've not followed their word so far. Their documentary Facebook page is fairly dead too - they rarely update it or answer questions. It wouldn't be the first time subversives operated on an alternative health community!