Higher Resting Heart Rate Linked To Higher Risk Of All Cause Mortality

XPlus

Running a high metabolic rate, I find my self sometimes running on stress hormones at night.
It seems easy for us to push the metabolic rate beyond the liver's capacity to sustain energy during a night's sleep. Especially if we're pushing things like thyroid hormone, caffeine, sugar and serotonin lowering substances.

“Since the blood becomes more concentrated, viscous, and clottable during the night (especially during long winter nights), the risk of a heart attack or stroke would probably be reduced by drinking orange juice before getting out of bed (and at bed-time), to dilute the blood and decrease adrenaline and the free fatty acids, which contribute to the increased tendency to form clots in the morning.” -Ray Peat, PhD

DrJ

I don't know why people even pay attention to studies that are meta-analysis. Meta-analysis absolutely spits in the face of the philosophy of science which is essentially to test a hypothesis repeatedly in a VERY controlled way to either reject it or not reject it. Meta-analysis takes a bunch of different studies with widely varying methodologies and possibly very different degrees of control (or none at all) for confounding variables and then tries to draw an affirmative conclusion from it . It's stupid. Science only rejects hypothesis or does not reject. It never fully affirms anything, it only disproves. When I was still in academia, I always viewed meta-analysis as a route for opportunists to try to get their name on a "most-cited" list to get tenure or whatever, but other than that, it has no real value.

michael94

Agent207 said:
post 111256 drinking orange juice before getting out of bed?? lol

If you haven't replaced your night stand with a mini fridge you're doing it wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

milk_lover

Agent207 said:
You can still be awake (or in this case, have just woken up) while on the bed, right? :)

XPlus

DrJ said:
post 111250 I don't know why people even pay attention to studies that are meta-analysis. Meta-analysis absolutely spits in the face of the philosophy of science which is essentially to test a hypothesis repeatedly in a VERY controlled way to either reject it or not reject it. Meta-analysis takes a bunch of different studies with widely varying methodologies and possibly very different degrees of control (or none at all) for confounding variables and then tries to draw an affirmative conclusion from it . It's stupid. Science only rejects hypothesis or does not reject. It never fully affirms anything, it only disproves. When I was still in academia, I always viewed meta-analysis as a route for opportunists to try to get their name on a "most-cited" list to get tenure or whatever, but other than that, it has no real value.

Thank you.
This is actually very informative.
Funny it says "linked to higher risk of all cause mortality".
Since their evidence is merely based on correlation, even something like "those with higher metabolic rates are the more daring kind of people and thus are more inclined towards death" counts. :mrgreen:

tara

Philomath

icecreamlover said:
post 111262
Agent207 said:

If you haven't replaced your night stand with a mini fridge you're doing it wrong

I'm attaching a hamster drinking tube full of OJ to my headboard :D

OP
J

jaa

I thought everyone would have had an OJ IV drip while they slept :D

Thanks for the replies everybody.

haidut

Forum Supporter
jaa said:
post 111244 http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 111815.php

Thoughts on this recent meta-analysis out of China?

How do you know what was causing the high heart rate? Most people have high adrenaline at night, so of course that would be an expected result. As a counter example, there are studies showing hyperthyroidism protects from all cause mortality and most hyperthyroid people have high heart rates.
Until a see a study that controls for adrenaline and thyroid status, and knowing the average stress/metabolic status of people over the age of 30, I would rename this study to "High Adrenaline at Night Linked to Higher Risk of All-Cause Mortality".

OP
J

jaa

haidut said:
post 111385
jaa said:
post 111244 http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 111815.php

Thoughts on this recent meta-analysis out of China?

How do you know what was causing the high heart rate? Most people have high adrenaline at night, so of course that would be an expected result. As a counter example, there are studies showing hyperthyroidism protects from all cause mortality and most hyperthyroid people have high heart rates.
Until a see a study that controls for adrenaline and thyroid status, and knowing the average stress/metabolic status of people over the age of 30, I would rename this study to "High Adrenaline at Night Linked to Higher Risk of All-Cause Mortality".

That makes sense, thanks for the input!

Ideonaut

DrJ said:
post 111250 I don't know why people even pay attention to studies that are meta-analysis. Meta-analysis absolutely spits in the face of the philosophy of science which is essentially to test a hypothesis repeatedly in a VERY controlled way to either reject it or not reject it. Meta-analysis takes a bunch of different studies with widely varying methodologies and possibly very different degrees of control (or none at all) for confounding variables and then tries to draw an affirmative conclusion from it . It's stupid. Science only rejects hypothesis or does not reject. It never fully affirms anything, it only disproves. When I was still in academia, I always viewed meta-analysis as a route for opportunists to try to get their name on a "most-cited" list to get tenure or whatever, but other than that, it has no real value.
Brilliant! I love the education I get on this forum.

DrJ said:

I think I got what you need :cool:

A meta-analysis of meta-analyses.

DrJ

Such_Saturation said:
post 111429
DrJ said:

I think I got what you need :cool:

A meta-analysis of meta-analyses.

Sometimes satire is the best tool :)

nwo2012

Yes exactly. I see people with elevated heart rates daily and zi can assure you they DO NOT have a fast or robust metabolism!
I see people with these conditions, amongst others.
No wonder this study suggests higher mortality despite its flaws.

• Atrial fibrillation. Atrial fibrillation is a rapid heart rate caused by chaotic, irregular electrical impulses in the upper chambers of the heart (atria). These signals result in rapid, uncoordinated, weak contractions of the atria.

Atrial fibrillation may be temporary, but some episodes won't end unless treated.

Atrial fibrillation is the most common type of tachycardia. Most people with atrial fibrillation have some structural abnormalities of the heart related to underlying conditions such as heart disease or high blood pressure.

• Atrial flutter. In atrial flutter, the heart's atria beat very fast but at a regular rate. The fast rate results in weak contractions of the atria.

Atrial flutter is caused by irregular circuitry within the atria.

• Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT).Supraventricular tachycardia is an abnormally fast heartbeat that originates somewhere above the ventricles. It's caused by abnormal circuitry in the heart that is usually present at birth and creates a loop of overlapping signals.
  • Ventricular tachycardia.Ventricular tachycardia is a rapid heart rate that originates with abnormal electrical signals in the lower chambers of the heart (ventricles). The rapid heart rate doesn't allow the ventricles to fill and contract efficiently to pump enough blood to the body.

Ventricular tachycardia episodes may be brief and last only a couple of seconds without causing harm. But episodes lasting more than a few seconds can become a life-threatening medical emergency.

• Ventricular fibrillation.Ventricular fibrillation occurs when rapid, chaotic electrical impulses cause the ventricles to quiver ineffectively instead of pumping necessary blood to the body. This can be fatal if the heart isn't restored to a normal rhythm within minutes with an electric shock to the heart (defibrillation).

Ventricular fibrillation may occur during or after a heart attack. Most people who experience ventricular fibrillation have an underlying heart disease or have experienced serious trauma, such as being struck by lightning.

Sefton10

InChristAlone

This paper is linking higher RHR with cancer mortality
"Our analyses show a positive association between RHR and the risk of cancer mortality, suggesting that a RHR less than 60 bpm seems to be a protective factor against the risk of cancer mortality."
Wtf! less than 60 bpm??? I don't think my heart rate has ever measured that low. Even half asleep at night.

Sefton10