Depleting Serotonin With BCAA

As an update, I've been adding 5g of BCAA along with my protein+sugar meals and I've clearly noticed a euphoric-optimistic feeling that begins 5-10 minutes after ingestion and lasts 20-60 minutes before subsiding to near baseline. The effect is pronounced and extended if I take 50mg of caffeine along with the BCAA dose. I feel like I can conquer whatever problem I'm facing with a strong desire to be social.

For anyone that hasn't yet tried it, I strongly urge you to do so.

Peata

cantstoppeating said:
As an update, I've been adding 5g of BCAA along with my protein+sugar meals and I've clearly noticed a euphoric-optimistic feeling that begins 5-10 minutes after ingestion and lasts 20-60 minutes before subsiding to near baseline. The effect is pronounced and extended if I take 50mg of caffeine along with the BCAA dose. I feel like I can conquer whatever problem I'm facing with a strong desire to be social.

Did you work up to 5 g. over days/weeks or just start taking it all at once?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
cantstoppeating said:

BCAA's have been on my list a while, time to make a move. Thank you for letting us know how it works for you. :hattip

Peata said:
Did you work up to 5 g. over days/weeks or just start taking it all at once?

I went straight to taking 5g. It's a relatively safe dose that's been well documented for its positive effects particularly in the bodybuilding community.

I take each dose 3 hours apart, three times a day with a meal containing about 30g of whole protein.

Dizzryda

cantstoppeating said:
I went straight to taking 5g. It's a relatively safe dose that's been well documented for its positive effects particularly in the bodybuilding community.

I take each dose 3 hours apart, three times a day with a meal containing about 30g of whole protein.

Do you ever take it with tyrosine or always straight up with meals?

Dizzryda said:
cantstoppeating said:

My protein meals contain enough tyrosine (and additional taurine) that I don't need to supplement it.

cantstoppeating said:
Dizzryda said:
cantstoppeating said:

My protein meals contain enough tyrosine (and additional taurine) that I don't need to supplement it.

I think dairy covers the branched-chain part as well.

Peata

For those of you doing this, is it an effect you get from the first dose, or did it come on after more than one dose?

I ask because I took 5 g. after breakfast and with some coffee, and did not feel anything different. I didn't know if would make me drowsy as some reported or energetic, but I didn't get either response. I'll try another dose later because I wonder if it takes time to build up the way Cyproheptadine did for me.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
For those of you doing this, is it an effect you get from the first dose, or did it come on after more than one dose?

I ask because I took 5 g. after breakfast and with some coffee, and did not feel anything different. I didn't know if would make me drowsy as some reported or energetic, but I didn't get either response. I'll try another dose later because I wonder if it takes time to build up the way Cyproheptadine did for me.

BCAA should always be taken either with other protein or with tyrosine / phenylalanine.The first option is preferable, since portein provides both tyrosine and phenylalanine in optimal ratios. If you take BCAA on their own without protein or tyrosine/penylalanine, the BCAA will deplete both serotonin and dopamine resulting in a negative effect on mood and energy.

Peata

haidut said:
Peata said:

BCAA should always be taken either with other protein or with tyrosine / phenylalanine.The first option is preferable, since portein provides both tyrosine and phenylalanine in optimal ratios. If you take BCAA on their own without protein or tyrosine/penylalanine, the BCAA will deplete both serotonin and dopamine resulting in a negative effect on mood and energy.

I took it right after 25 g. protein from eggs, milk and cheese.

I didn't have any idea how I would be affected because some people were mentioning they got drowsy, others said focused and energetic but i didn't feel any different.

I plan to try it again after my next protein meal.

Peata

i took it after 25 - 30 g. protein, this time from beef, egg, milk, potato. plus caffeine. I did feel good and alert afterward, but it may have been because i finally got some food in me after being so hungry. plus, beef is usually a feel-good food for me -sometimes i crave a good burger or steak. So, a better effect, but i don't have anything for sure to report. And i think i only have one dose left of the BCAA to use tomorrow. i need to find a source that doesn't require me to use 10 capsules per meal.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
True Athlete bcaa powder worked well for me. I got it at Vitamin Shoppe.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
True Athlete bcaa powder worked well for me. I got it at Vitamin Shoppe.

The Vitamin Shoppe brand of amino acid capsule are also not a bad deal. You get the 5g of BCAA in "just" 6 capsules:):

narouz

haidut-
Isn't this the kind of thing
that it takes some time to feel different...?

Peata

narouz said:
haidut-

For some of us, it may. I tried 5 g. again today after a protein meal and again, did not notice any particular effect. But some people might notice result right from the first dose...? That was my 3rd. I decided to hold off on this experiment now because I would need to order more bcaa.

With Cyproheptadine, I notice it took a while to feel different when I was taking it. I'll be interested in what Haidut and others have to say and have experienced. If it's something that does need to build up in some people, then i might order more bcaa at some point and give it a longer try.

Peata said:
narouz said:
haidut-

For some of us, it may. I tried 5 g. again today after a protein meal and again, did not notice any particular effect. But some people might notice result right from the first dose...? That was my 3rd. I decided to hold off on this experiment now because I would need to order more bcaa.

With Cyproheptadine, I notice it took a while to feel different when I was taking it. I'll be interested in what Haidut and others have to say and have experienced. If it's something that does need to build up in some people, then i might order more bcaa at some point and give it a longer try.

Did you try a half pound of cottage cheese?

Brian

As a word of caution: If you suspect you already have low dopamine/high prolactin I would recommend holding off on the BCAA's for now. It might make things worse by lowering your already low dopamine too much. That's my guess at least of what happened to me.

When I first tried BCAA's with a 30g protein meal at the full 5g or even a 3 gram dose I became constipated and had symptoms of very low dopamine such as some strange depression and this constant frown (symptoms of both low serotonin and dopamine?).

I would assume if you aren't feeling signs of low serotonin (with normal dopamine) after a few attempts that your dopamine isn't high enough to be playing around with BCAAs.

I'd recommend people take 5g of BCAA 1-2 hours after their protein+sugar meal, especially in the mornings.

We need to remember that just because we eat two foods together, it doesn't mean they'll enter our bloodstream together. It's what ends up in our bloodstream that counts and timing is critical.

Isolated amino acids, like BCAAs, can take upto 15-30 minutes to enter the bloodstream, whereas the amino acids from a complete protein meal (i.e. your sugar+protein meal) can take unto 90-120 minutes. So if we take the BCAAs without the complimentary amino acids in our bloodstream, we'll experience lowered dopamine and the resulting negative effects until the rest of the amino acids from our protein meal enter the bloodstream and help alleviate some of the distress.

A good measure would be to take the 5g of BCAA as soon as you feel the rise in temp and pulse from your previous meal.

Dizzryda

Brian said:
As a word of caution: If you suspect you already have low dopamine/high prolactin I would recommend holding off on the BCAA's for now. It might make things worse by lowering your already low dopamine too much. That's my guess at least of what happened to me.

When I first tried BCAA's with a 30g protein meal at the full 5g or even a 3 gram dose I became constipated and had symptoms of very low dopamine such as some strange depression and this constant frown (symptoms of both low serotonin and dopamine?).

I would assume if you aren't feeling signs of low serotonin (with normal dopamine) after a few attempts that your dopamine isn't high enough to be playing around with BCAAs.

Did any sort of jaw tension accompany this so called frown? I'm experiencing this right now and I can't tell if it's from the thyroid supplement, fructose powder, bcaa's, or something else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals