Dark Roast Restores Blood Vitamin E, Glutathione

jyb

Initially I thought this could just be explained by more caffeine, as more preparation extracts more caffeine, but it seems like these dark roast benefits are unrelated to caffeine.

OP
S
They say <<We aimed at elucidating whether a dark roast coffee beverage (CB) rich in N-methylpyridinium ions (NMP: 785 μmol/L) and low in chlorogenic acids (CGA: 523 μmol/L) has stronger antioxidant effects on human erythrocytes than a CB prepared from a light roast with opposite proportions (CGA: 4538 μmol/L; NMP: 56 μmol/L).>>

Such_Saturation said:
They say <<We aimed at elucidating whether a dark roast coffee beverage (CB) rich in N-methylpyridinium ions (NMP: 785 μmol/L) and low in chlorogenic acids (CGA: 523 μmol/L) has stronger antioxidant effects on human erythrocytes than a CB prepared from a light roast with opposite proportions (CGA: 4538 μmol/L; NMP: 56 μmol/L).>>
I love me my Italian espresso very dark roast (which is darker French or Italian), but a question some ask is, paper filter or metal? Some reviewers on Amazon say a paper filter removes the oils and the antioxidants in the oils, while metal does not.

Also, what temperature of the water, and what pressure, or drip? Peat says more niacin and magnesium with drip.

I can't get the full study, can you see their methods?

OP
S
Italian Roast should be darkest topped only by Spanish Roast. Keep in mind the roasts are made for their own brewing technique which also implies a certain grind. Paper filter adds a very weird taste so I stopped. Coffee was drip-brewed. Roasting temperature did not vary, only time. [http://tinyurl.com/md4ycqc]

Philomath

I just ordered some of this:
http://deathwishcoffee.com/collections/ ... ish-coffee

Their website does not specifically say, but it implies that this is a dark roast. Per caffeineinformer.com:
Death Wish Coffee advertises that their coffee contains 200% more caffeine than a standard cup of coffee. A 12 ounce coffee, brewed using the drip method would contain 217mg, so 200% more would put a 12 ounce serving at 651mg. (Death Wish advertises 660mg/12 fl.oz. cup)

Interestingly, it's made from Robusto beans which have higher caffeine levels, but typically impart more of a bitter taste. However, 95% of the reviews on Amazon cite this coffee as have a smooth taste, without bitterness.

It's worth a shot I suppose.

Peata

Sometimes I stir a little pinch of baking soda into my cup of dark roast to smooth it out.

pboy

interesting how it restores vitamin E...so I guess the body hangs onto some that isn't usable until restorable. I think chlorogenic acid lowers blood sugar and slightly taxes the liver, maybe part of the reason why coffee is roasted...cause the green beans actually taste kind of sour
But then again, I think burning compounds might also create undesirable products

OP
S
Robusta is usually considered a way to save money for the companies, at least here. Robusta usually comes from Vietnam or Africa as opposed to South American Arabica.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:woo

Don't mind me. I am celebrating the first post after the upgrade. :P

tara

According to Joel Brind on Matt Stone's blog, not everything that increases glutathione is necessarily a good thing.
http://180degreehealth.com/glutathione/
(Like not everything that increases red blood cells is a good thing, eg arsenic).

OP
S
Conflict of interest statement: The authors H. Stiebitz, G.
Bytof, I. Lantz are employees of Tchibo GmbH, Germany, the
company that sponsored part of this research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tchibo
:lol:

jaguar43

I just ordered some of this:
http://deathwishcoffee.com/collections/ ... ish-coffee

Their website does not specifically say, but it implies that this is a dark roast. Per caffeineinformer.com:
Death Wish Coffee advertises that their coffee contains 200% more caffeine than a standard cup of coffee. A 12 ounce coffee, brewed using the drip method would contain 217mg, so 200% more would put a 12 ounce serving at 651mg. (Death Wish advertises 660mg/12 fl.oz. cup)

Interestingly, it's made from Robusto beans which have higher caffeine levels, but typically impart more of a bitter taste. However, 95% of the reviews on Amazon cite this coffee as have a smooth taste, without bitterness.

It's worth a shot I suppose.

How was the death wish coffee ? I am thinking about buying some and I was hoping to see some one on this forum try it.

m_arch

According to Joel Brind on Matt Stone's blog, not everything that increases glutathione is necessarily a good thing.
Glutathione: Is More Better? - 180 Degree Health
(Like not everything that increases red blood cells is a good thing, eg arsenic).
I think dr Brind was spot on about glycine. I wasn't getting sunburnt in 40c days in Australia after spending 4hrs in the sun when I was taking a table spoon of collagen a day

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals