coffee and cancer

But I'm not a colon cancer survivor :cool:

tara

Such_Saturation said:
How do you know? :)
I mean, I know you are a survivor, but presumably that is because your system has successfully restored or eliminated many cancerous cells, in various places.

The study seems to demonstrate association/correlation, but not causation - could be the people who were healthier anyway had better caffeine tolerance, ie more resilient system caused both better survival odds and greater coffee consumption.

I do think it it seems likely that coffee is helpful for people who react well to it, just not necessarily everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

burtlancast

From your article:
Fuchs and his colleagues discovered that the lowered risk of cancer recurrence and deaths was entirely due to caffeine and not other components of coffee

Well, i doubt the researchers have done their homework: coffee contains kahweol and cafestol palmitate, potent (+600%) enhancers of glutathione S-transferase catalyzing the binding of many toxins from the blood stream.

Coffee also contains theophylline and theobromine, who toegether with caffeine, dilate blood vessels and bile
ducts, relax smooth muscles, and increase the bile flow to the bowels, achieveing a detoxifying effect on the blood and the organism.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, researchers in the lab of Lee Wattenberg identified salts of palmitic acids (kahweol and cafestol palmitate) in coffee. These act as potent enhancers of glutathione S-transferase which is an important enzyme in the liver. It is part of a major detoxification system that catalyzes the binding of many toxins from the blood stream to the sulfhydryl group of glutathione. For this reason, the glutathione S-transferase system is an important mechanism to get rid of cancer causing chemicals.

Adding coffee beans to the diets of mice enhanced glutathione S-transferase 600% in the liver and 700% in the small bowel. A similar stimulation by coffee of glutathione S-transferase in humans is probable.

Dr. Max Gerson, MD, a major proponent of the use of coffee enemas, wrote that:

“Heubner and Meyer of Goettingen University, Germany had shown in animal models that rectal administration of caffeine would dilate bile ducts and promote bile flow. Theophylline and theobromine, major constituents of coffee, dilate blood vessels and counter inflammation of the gut.

The palmitates of coffee enhance glutathione S-transferase, which is responsible for the removal of many toxins from the blood.

:hattip