Carbon dioxide, glycation, and the protective effects of fru

Isadora

Re: Carbon dioxide, glycation, and the protective effects of

Mittir said:
I am noticing several people are referring to Andrew Kim as scientist. Does anyone know what is his scientific background.
I have read one of his article on half life of adipose tissue criticizing Ray Peat for being lazy and wrong. He claims to be a " overseer" to RP. That was a clever article but he clearly does not understand what he was criticizing. If you read the original article he was criticizing it will be very clear to you.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/33/1/81.long

I am sure he does not have any kind of training in biological science or any hard science.

Thanks for the link, Mittir, I was curious about that original article. I recall K. (enough publicity already, I regret ever writing his name in full here so the Google bots can pick it up) never posted a link to it, he was just speculating on a quote he found on Facebook. Which was an admission he had not even read it, let alone understand it, and that's why I didn't even consider necessary to peruse his thoughts on "the matter"!

I think he did mention "having more credentials" than other RP practitioners. I thought he was a student, trying to get some notoriety early on.

But if your hunch is right and he is, I don't know, a guitar player who dabbles in these subjects, that would be pretty interesting! However, if that's the case, I guess we'd never know.

So, if Andrew Kim never reveals his background, maybe you're right, and it is safe to assume a lack of scientific background...

Mittir said:
I like Chris Masterjohn's writing, he is a real scientist not like Matt stone. Writing opinion is one thing but critiquing published journals requires expertise in that area and formal training.

You know, Mittir, I am willing to read both scientists and non-scientists on these subjects -- but I do need to know in advance which is which... Keeping a mysterious profile while writing on health topics may work on forums at a user level, but when one distributes and edits content related to health matters, it would be very helpful if we knew their background so we could mix it in our evaluation regarding what they put out there -- it is a key ingredient. Imagine if we didn't know that Ray Peat had studied biology. Who would have had the guts to follow him and to trust his ideas?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Isadora said:
Charlie, if you're every paying attention to this and your offer still stands, maybe you should rename this topic "Ray Peat's Influence on Andrew Kim"? Or, if you prefer, "Andrew Kim and Ray Peat", or "Andrew Kim on Ray Peat", or "Ray Peat's Influence on Andrew Kim"? Or something else to that effect and with both names in the title. Thank you!

I do not remember saying that. The thread title is the name of Andrews article so I don't see the need to change it.

Isadora

You did say it and there were other people in the conversation, but I can't remember in which thread it was and it doesn't come up in searches, strangely enough. I asked if we could rename the thread, to reflect the contents of the conversation and you answered "We can name it whatever you want." It's fine if you changed your mind, I don't care enough about this anyway.

I noticed you pruned heavily this AK section. There was a topic with many views around the article "Starch vs. Sugar" and that one has disappeared, for instance. Did you move it somewhere else or do you occasionally delete stuff altogether? Or make it invisible? Or are there any other mechanisms at play, I'm just curious.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

A couple of days ago Andrew asked me to remove some of the articles because he took them down on his site. He gave me some other articles to replace them with but I have not gotten to it yet. There was one thread, that had comments in it. I plan on bringing it back once I clean out the article.

I have a policy of not deleting anyones posts. If anything, like in this case. I have simply moved it to a section that no one can see until I can delete the article.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Andrew Kim wrote me today and asked me to remove all his articles. I have complied with his request.

I will however leave the discussions up about the articles.

SAFarmer

Wow, so glad I found this discussion today. After many weeks of trying to find out who Andrew Kim actually is, on many of his fan's blogs and his own blog, and no-one able to answer me, this discussion really answers my questions.

Nobody really , with a disgusting attitude to boot !

Thank you Isadora for calling him out. I fully agree with the points you made.

jyb

Andew Kim:
Even though it could glycate proteins in the body, fructose is much less reactive than some of the oxidative products derived from polyunsaturated fats. Fructose is also found in the blood and in cells at very low concentrations, orders of magnitude less than glucose, because fructose is rapidly used or converted to other substrates by cells. Upon the ingestion of fructose, for instance, about 10 percent of it is converted to glucose by the intestinal cells, and the rest is converted to glucose, lactate, glycogen, and carbon dioxide by the liver. Thus, fructose rarely rises by more than 0.5 to 1 percent after ingesting even high doses of it.

Humm isn't the point of the anti-fructose view that glycation can occur in the portal vein after fructose heavy meals, while it is absorbed and transported to the liver? If only 10% is converted by the intestine, then the portal vein has a high concentration. Of course it is not found the rest of the serum "after ingesting high doses of it", because the liver has to metabolise it to glucose or fatty acids. Or am I missing something?