Michael Crichton on aspirin

BingDing

When Crichton was in med school he published several books under the pseudonym of Jeffery Hudson. Whatever the name, all his books are full of factoids.

"A Case of Need" is a whodunit in a medical setting. Talking about post WWII medicine, he says that by 1965 three of the four most commonly prescribed drug classes-- antibiotics, hormones (mostly the Pill), and tranquilizers-- were all postwar innovations. Then in a footnote he says

The fourth class, analgesics, was mostly that old standby, aspirin, synthesized in 1853. Aspirin is as much a wonder drug as any other. It is a painkiller, a swelling-reducer, a fever-breaker, and an antiallergic drug. None of its actions can be explained.

Philomath

I wish he were still alive and writing.

Nicholas

i had aspirin and pizza last night and didn't suffer from any digestive difficulties or fatigue - though i could feel it a little in my joints.

schultz

I didn't realize Michael Crichton was a physician. That explains why his books always seem to be science based. I've only read Jurassic Park, Sphere and The Andromeda Strain. I am totally going to read "A Case of Need" though! Medical Thriller/Mystery? Sounds pretty awesome.

The little footnote is interesting too because he wrote the book in the 60's and it was published in the late 60's and it was only a few years later in 1971 when they realized aspirin could inhibit prostaglandins. Also, he calls it an "anti-allergic" drug and I was not aware of this being a known use of aspirin, even though I myself have noticed it prevents my seasonal allergies (or at least mitigates them.)

montmorency

schultz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/90809/ I didn't realize Michael Crichton was a physician. That explains why his books always seem to be science based. I've only read Jurassic Park, Sphere and The Andromeda Strain. I am totally going to read "A Case of Need" though! Medical Thriller/Mystery? Sounds pretty awesome.

The little footnote is interesting too because he wrote the book in the 60's and it was published in the late 60's and it was only a few years later in 1971 when they realized aspirin could inhibit prostaglandins. Also, he calls it an "anti-allergic" drug and I was not aware of this being a known use of aspirin, even though I myself have noticed it prevents my seasonal allergies (or at least mitigates them.)

That's pretty interesting.

"State of Fear" is good.

I hadn't even realised that he'd died. :(
Very sad.
Doesn't look as though conventional medicine did him much good.
However, perhaps his lifestyle (or style of working) was not conducive to good health.

Last edited by a moderator:

schultz

montmorency said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96375/
schultz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/90809/ I didn't realize Michael Crichton was a physician. That explains why his books always seem to be science based. I've only read Jurassic Park, Sphere and The Andromeda Strain. I am totally going to read "A Case of Need" though! Medical Thriller/Mystery? Sounds pretty awesome.

That's pretty interesting.

"State of Fear" is good.

I hadn't even realised that he'd died. :(
Very sad.
Doesn't look as though conventional medicine did him much good.
However, perhaps his lifestyle (or style of working) was not conducive to good health.

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out as well! I actually forgot to get "A Case of Need" so you just reminded me. Guess I should write things down :lol:

schultz

Okay I finished "State of Fear", "A Case of Need" and "Micro".

I noticed he mentions aspirin again in "State of Fear". I was curious about what one of the characters says about it. Here is the passage...

"She tuned out his voice. She couldn't actually see the burned area, so she had to take his word for it. It was starting to hurt. He found a first-aid kit, brought back aspirin.

"Aspirin?" Sarah said.

"Better than nothing." He dropped two tablets in her hand. "Actually, most people don't know it, but aspirin's a true wonder drug, it has more pain-killing power than morphine, and it is anti-inflammatory, anti-fever"

"Not right now," she said. "Please." She just couldn't take another of his lectures."

The part that caught my eye was the more pain-killing power than morphine part. I thought it was a little strange... :roll:

milk_lover

schultz said:
post 102202 Okay I finished "State of Fear", "A Case of Need" and "Micro".

I noticed he mentions aspirin again in "State of Fear". I was curious about what one of the characters says about it. Here is the passage...

"She tuned out his voice. She couldn't actually see the burned area, so she had to take his word for it. It was starting to hurt. He found a first-aid kit, brought back aspirin.

"Aspirin?" Sarah said.

"Better than nothing." He dropped two tablets in her hand. "Actually, most people don't know it, but aspirin's a true wonder drug, it has more pain-killing power than morphine, and it is anti-inflammatory, anti-fever"

"Not right now," she said. "Please." She just couldn't take another of his lectures."

The part that caught my eye was the more pain-killing power than morphine part. I thought it was a little strange... :roll:
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom