Another Aussie...Progest E help

cowgirl88

Hey y'all

I'll try not to babble on too much here.. So I learnt some of Peat's work via working with Jeanne Rubin East west healing for 12months, which I saw a lot of improvement in CFS, fibro, PMS etc etc..then I fell off the band wagon after losing my boyfriend in a car accident. After 18months of not caring too much about what I ate, I've been paying the ultimate price! Slowly getting back on the band wagon now but need help again. I will have a look around on the forum for recipe ideas etc, but I am a little confused with the use of progest E?
It arrived in the mail last week and eager to give it a try, I took the first dose of 3 drops on day 5 which made me feel quite good.
Day 6 I tried 2 lots of 2 drops...woke the next day with a headache, had nausea throughout the day, felt pretty sore...
Day 7 I went back to 3 drops before bed...woke with headache again, sore all over, very nauseated throughout the whole day. Also had bad aching internal pains around my back on both sides. Struggled to get to sleep.
Day 8 I tried only one drop before bed - within 30mins I felt so nauseous that I wanted to throw up, had a bad sleep, bad dreams. It's been 2 days since I've taken any, feel asleep easy last night, woke at 0230 and didn't get back to sleep til 0500, slept until 0900. Bad aching internal pain on right side only.
The last 3 days I've woken up looking like I've been punched in the face (inflamed sinus') which hasn't happened for a while now! Sinus feel scratchy, throat was a bit swollen overnight. On the plus side, my skin is not half as itchy as it has been (which was occuring each time I'd eat the right amount of protein, especially eggs and muscle meats)
My last period was very heavy. Should I only be taking Progest E after ovulation?? If it makes me feel crappy, do I take more, or less?
And one last thing...why am I constantly bloated 24/7 for the last decade with not a single day of relief!!??
Thank you for taking time to read. In advance, any info is greatly appreciated ;)

tara

Welcome. Very sorry about your boyfriend.
I probably can't answer your questions, but a couple of thoughts. It might be worth spelling out a bit more about what else you are doing - eg what you are eating, and any other things you are trying to support your health - you'll get more advice that way, if that's what you are looking for. What is your usual sleep pattern like, to compare the last weeks experience with?

It seems that people respond differently to different amounts of progest-e. I've been using it for many months. I launched in with 3 drops 5x/day in second half of cycle, as I had read to do. I was planning to stop or reduce it during first half, and I think quite a few women do this, but I have continued every day since, and gradually increased. It hasn't stopped my cycle. I have read that it is possible for a small amount of progest-e to mobilise estrogen without being enough to counteract it, so that too little can sometimes have a worse effect than none. I am prone to headaches and migraine, and the progest-e has helped, but not solved this problem.

The only time I had a negative reaction (nausea) was the first time I used it, on an empty stomach - so I learned to make sure I have fuel on board before I take it.
I'm not an expert on bloating, but I think some people find it related to particular foods irritating the gut - which foods are irritating varies from person to person - you could look up Mittir's posts on this. Have you experimented with salt intake?
Good luck.

OP
C

cowgirl88

Thank you for your input tara.

Wow I didn't realise you could go in to taking it at such a high dose? And you didn't feel any negative side affects when you first started? Do you stop taking it when you are on your period and ovulation or keep taking it non-stop?

Ok, basically my diet consists of potatoes, sweet potatoes, beet, pumpkin, free range eggs, organic pasteurized milk (in Australia unfortunately it's still illegal to sell raw milk :( ) raw apples, bananas, salted OJ, ricotta cheese, occassionally hard cheeses, about twice a week either chicken, beef, lamb; coconut oil, butter, coffee, peppermint tea, cammomile tea. I've been lazy about doing the raw carrot every day. Was drinking Kombucha every day but have slowed to maybe one a week. Was eating yogurt but felt horrible when I did, then I found the info about Peat not recommending it. I don't think I'm consuming enough protein, haven't had gelatin since early last year but have some on order.

I quit my job 5 weeks ago as it was so stressful, the boss was having temper tantrums at me all the time for no reason...going to work was like walking on egg shells! Between that stress, and not sleeping proper because of relationship problems, I understand the toll its taking and I'm struggling. Over the last few weeks I have not been getting to sleep until early hours of the morning.

Can't have epsom salt baths as I currently live with my parents still...we don't have a bath here. Yesterday I made a batch of calcium powder from egg shells so will get back on that again.

I cannot pin point what bloats me and what doesn't...it just seems to be present all the time :( I do believe the stress makes it worse, of course!

honeybee

I assume you are swallowing all of it?
I find it works best for me if i rub in my gums-the idea is trans-dermal. Then I try not to eat or drink for at least 30 minutes aftewards. I haven't had a stomach ache from swallowing it.
I take mine in the 2nd half of cycle (unless I feel the pms coming on then I will take it during part of the first half).

FertilityGirl

Hi,

I'm an RN, have graduate coursework in Nutrition, and have worked with fertility clients for over 15 years. Progesterone ideally should be used in the cycling woman beginning day 4 after ovulation. Ovulation should be confirmed before using it by the cervical mucus sign, this is the most accurate indicator of ovulation we have found(Billings Ovulation Method). Studies show it to be more accurate than ultrasound and predictor kits. It's simple and easy. If not familiar with this you may want to use it only the last week of your cycle. If using prior to ovulation it theoretically can suppress ovulation, causing more of an estrogenic response and then your own progesterone production can be suppressed, undermining what you are trying to accomplish in the first place.

Normal dose is 10-20 mg(4-7 drops Kenogen) twice daily.(Some have used higher dosages and more frequent dosing).The half life is 12 hours. Nausea is often an estrogenic response. The vitamin E may be an irritant to the gut for some, if so you can put it under the tongue and coat the rest of your mouth without swallowing it. It is absorbed within minutes this way. Nausea is often relieved by reducing allergens and 'estrogens', with properly dosed progesterone, ondansetron, or cyproheptadine.

Some of your diet listed has many allergens/irritants such as sweet potato and even more so with pumpkin. Also hard cheeses, kombucha and yogurt have estrogenic by-products of fermentation. Apples contain pectin and are best cooked or even better to use more ideal fruits. Banana is high in starch and latex type allergens, cooking helps. We occasionally make a 'crepe' using 2 eggs + 1 banana, mix together and cook like a regular pancake/crepe. Fill with ricotta and honey or cooked fruit, if you like. Meats, used with bone broth/gelatin and calcium/egg shells when eating eggs can reduce the stress response. More protein earlier in the day, trying for 20-30 gms with breakfast and using more of your low stress proteins can be very helpful, too.

Hope this helps!
Darcy Hemstad, RN, BSN
http://www.thefertilitygirl.com

tara

cowgirl88 said:
Wow I didn't realise you could go in to taking it at such a high dose? And you didn't feel any negative side affects when you first started? Do you stop taking it when you are on your period and ovulation or keep taking it non-stop?
The only negative effects I've had were minor and avoidable: nausea once when used it on an empty stomach, and the viscosity irritates the throat - I try to spread it in the mouth and avoid swallowing much of it. Other than that it feels all good.

I have not had a day without it since I started, and I am still menstruating - approaching menopause.

My guess is that for you as a younger woman, it would make sense to use it from after ovulation till menstruation, as suggested above, unless the symptoms it relieves are intolerable.

OP
C

cowgirl88

Thanks everyone. I have been taking it by rubbing it in to my gums the whole time. Started again testy, 2 x 5 drops. Had the scariest dream I've had in a long time :( nearly woke my bf up coz I was almost crying! My breasts are tender this morning too. And I was really hot overnight.

Do I up the dose or lower it or...?

I really need to get more calories in to my diet too...still not eating enough.

Thanks in advance :)

tara

cowgirl88 said:
Thanks everyone. I have been taking it by rubbing it in to my gums the whole time. Started again testy, 2 x 5 drops. Had the scariest dream I've had in a long time :( nearly woke my bf up coz I was almost crying! My breasts are tender this morning too. And I was really hot overnight.

Do I up the dose or lower it or...?

I really need to get more calories in to my diet too...still not eating enough.

Thanks in advance :)
Progesterone can increase your metabolism, which is often really good. But it means you use up fuel faster. Running out of glycogen in the night might contribute to bad dreams. If you are not eating enough to support the metabolism, this can lead to stress.