Antihistamines don't work for my allergies

Swandattur

It is very puzzling. It does seem as if something in your environment, inside or outside could be it.
When I cut out a lot of high histamine foods, I quit reacting to my cat. So, I think lower histamine can help on environmental allergens. Maybe there is some allergenic substance in a food from processing that is getting to you. There are on line sites that list possible added allergens in foods. Also, how about your shampoo. Did you recently switch? I finally realized many shampoos bother me. Are you using a new cleaning product or did you get new carpet or something?
In considering food, any that you didn't eat before very much could be the problem. If you can't get it sorted out, it does seem as if you should contact Peat, alright. If you do, please let us know what he says. I'm curious as to what it could be. I sympathize very much with the rhinitis symptoms, because I've had it a lot, too, before I finally sorted it out.

J

j.

ilovethesea said:
Interesting... I just bought some Country Life pregnenolone (not the best kind but not bad - was all I could find since I was only in the US for a short time). It's 30 mg so will start with that.

I just bought that pregnenolone too. I first bought a 100 mg version, but going by how I feel, it's better to not take it every day, so 30 mg per day seems like a good amount.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Coming back to this thread to say I figured it out (Finally). It was the Great Lakes gelatin (porcine kind) causing my allergies. I am going to have to try hydrolyzed to see if it's any better... I really miss gelatin and need the protein.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Just coming back to update this post for anybody else struggling with this issue. I discovered that I am okay with well cooked gelatin, for example this style of recipe: http://peatarian.com/10854/gelatin-%26- ... a-question

It's when I put it into coffee (after mixing with cold water and letting it gel a minute) that I have allergy issues.

So, it appears to be better tolerated when you cook it on the stove for a little while in hot liquid and then set in the fridge as gummy square type things.

Jenn

Yes! This is a kidney issue and the form of the gelatin does make a difference. It does need to gel for some people. I have a friend with a similar experience. Non cooked/gelled gelatin also causes stomach issues for some people.

Swandattur

Maybe that has been my problem with gelatin. When I first started supplementing gelatin,I was eating VLC, and I just stirred some in some juice, because it tasted fine that way to me. Maybe it fed bacteria in that form, though. Still, nowadays, no form seems to be okay. I now wonder if I have bacteria in my upper digestive tract that thrive on things like gelatin and dairy from eating too much of these on low carb/hypothyroid.

I was mixing 1TB into coffee twice a day because I knew all of the amazing benefits. I had horrible bowel movements for the entirety of doing this ritual. I have since cut it out, and am back to regular formed "droppings"...sorry....so I don't really know how to implement it back into my diet. I was using the Hydrolized type too!

Parsifal

Mittir said:
post 21499
Egg white, all kind of fish specially shell fish ,tomato and
even OJ can increase histamine.

How can orange juice be pro-histaminic especially when vitamin C is an anti-histaminic? I've read that gelatin has histamines in it too, I really don't understand how it can be like that. I don't understand what can increase hitamine in a food?

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Parsifal said:
post 98395
Mittir said:
post 21499
Egg white, all kind of fish specially shell fish ,tomato and
even OJ can increase histamine.

How can orange juice be pro-histaminic especially when vitamin C is an anti-histaminic? I've read that gelatin has histamines in it too, I really don't understand how it can be like that. I don't understand what can increase hitamine in a food?

I don't know much on this, but I think some of a common amino acid histidine in food can under some conditions be converted to histamine over time. For instance, I've heard that histamine levels in shellfish can rise fairly quickly once they die. I wonder if fermented foods like yogurts and aged cheeses may also have this happening?

Have you read this one from Peat?
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/me ... ress.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:

Daimyo

Have you consider cutting down the quantity of liquids you are drinking/consuming? You might be drinking too much (orange juice, milk etc). I pretty much eliminated my allergy in 1 day when I reduce the amount of water I drink and increase my salt intake.

What's your temp and pulse like?

tara

People can be more prone to react allergically to many things if blood sugar is too low.
Eating more and/or higher carb. density may help.
Breakfast usually sorts my (now rare) morningitis.