The Best Coffee?

Bluebell

I was wondering what's the most delicious coffee to make at home, what brand, and what equipment do I need?

Also if you do drip, then do you heat it up again afterwards to make it really nice and hot?

Jenn

Gevalia's Kona is awesome, followed by a nice mocha java or sumatra. However, what I usually buy is Dollar Generals' store brand...'cause it's cheap. ;) Yes, I reheat it over and over with gelatin and sugar in it, then add milk. I am not claiming this makes it taste better. I have used an autodrip coffee maker, a percolator, boiled it and strained the grounds and poured hot water over the ground and steeped it like a pot of tea. I don't know that it makes a difference, perhaps because I sugar it to death anyway. Brewing with a pinch of salt makes it taste better, IMO.

jaa

I like the Kicking Horse brand sold here in Canada. I use an Aeropress to squeeze out a shot or two of coffee and fill up the rest of my glass with whole milk. Then I add honey, salt and vanilla extract. Occasionally I will also throw in a couple of egg yolks and some Haagen Daaz and blend everything together.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks Jenn and jaa, I'll look into those brands. I might start just mixing ground coffee with boiling water, stirring, leaving for a couple of minutes, then pouring into a new cup (I've heard you can get all the components that way, otherwise some are trapped in the paper of the filter). Then if I get into coffee, I might get some kind of gizmo.

I like the bitterness so I think I'll take sugar on the side. I might try the salt though, that''s a nice tip. Egg yolks & ice cream hmm yum, that sounds like a nice treat.

So do you both have the proper ground coffee instead of instant 'cos it tastes better, or cos the benefits are better with ground?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I use a french press because it leaves all the essential oils and stuff in the coffee. Paper filters do grab some of those on the way out so thats why I opted for french press. When I researched it seemed like french press or Turkish coffee was the best.

Oh and I use Yuban organic coffee for now.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Also this is a bit elementary, but how many teaspoons/tablespoons of ground coffee do you use per how many mls of liquid, for a good Peaty coffee?

4peatssake

I do almost the same as jaa - an aeropress with organic kicking horse coffee (love the grizzly claw flavor, I think it is, with a hint of chocolate) I also do strong drip coffee because with the aeropress I make lattes (2 shots of espresso and milk) but I do like having drip coffee as well so I do both.

I add cream, gelatin, and sugar to the drip coffee and 1% milk and a generous dollop of cream, gelatin, and sugar to the lattes. Both are really good depending on what I want.

Yesterday, I made a delicious iced mochachino- recipe from Peata - that I'll definitely be making again.
Nice on a hot summer day. I think adding home-made whipped cream would be a great addition to that! YUM!
coffee3-smiley.gif

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
My morning brew is:

3/4 cup water
3 Tbs of coffee
1.5 cups of milk
3 Tbs of sugar
2 Tbs of gelatin
1 Tbs of coconut oil

My after lunch brew is the same except only 2 Tbs of coffee.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Ooo this is all beginning to sound exceedingly lush.

CREAM delish I love it, I will be adding it to my coffee, with a touch of salt.

Charlie I worked out your liquid in ml, comes to 531ml which is almost a pint. Do you have an enormous coffee cup for that, or how does it work?

That's very helpful with the measurements, thanks a lot. It's actually more coffee in there than I realised.

Again, sorry to ask elementary questions, but when you add gelatin to coffee, don't you have to soak it in cold water first? So then that cools down your coffee quite a bit, and you need to heat it up again? & doesn't it ruin the coffee a bit re. taste/gumminess?

That was my problem with making milk gelatin drinks in the past - I used a lot of gelatin, so half the mug was made up of the cold milk I'd used to soak it in, and the end result wasn't that hot unless I heated it up again by pouring it back in the saucepan.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes its almost 2 cups worth of liquid. I do lose a little bit of liquid on heating up the water and the milk in the pot.

This is my coffee cup.

For the gelatin, I learned this little gem from Jenn. Put your sugar in the bottom of a clean and dry cup, then add gelatin, then stir it up really good, then add your hot liquid and then stir immediately, no clump no fuss.

Attachments

• pint.jpg
    pint.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,087
OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Nice jar, and portable too! Don't your hands get hot holding it?

Great tip on the gelatin, I will try it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I take some napkins and make me a nice little holder.

4peatssake

I use a giant sized cup I got from Starbucks. Holds at least a pint.
Another idea is using a large soup mug. I like having a handle on my cup and I am always on the lookout for really big coffee cups!

I have both hydrolyzed and non-hydrolyzed of gelatin on hand and usually use the hydrolyzed Great Lakes gelatin in both cold and hot drinks. Jenn's trick works pretty good though. I can't stand clumps of gelatin!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This looks like a pretty big mug:

Attachments

• coffee_toilet_mug.jpg
    coffee_toilet_mug.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 729

4peatssake

Charlie said:
This looks like a pretty big mug:
:rolling
Lap it up folks, lap it up!

marcar72

I plan on getting a french press but for now I mostly drink Folger's coffee at work and on days off I've gotten into the habit of patronizing Starbucks and a Caribou shop. I also got Folger's singles that I use at home. For a pretty awesome cup I use a Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup. I got a couple of them. Easy way to measure out milk and OJ throughout the day and I just drink right from the measuring cup.