Food Based B Complex

messtafarian

I have a really aweseome, *really* expensive bottle of chewable b complex that I stopped taking ten days ago. I am wondering if there is any guidance on supplementing b. I know there is a case for niacinamide only but I am not seeing any other information on suppplementing the rest. I know b is "water soluble" and gets excreted and so forth, but I wonder if there are any known contraindications to taking this stuff.

Like I said...really pricey, organic, etc. Info down below:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 WAFER
Servings Per Container 50

Amount Per
Serving

% Daily
Value
Calories

N/A*
Total Carbohydrate

4 Gm

1%
Vitamin C(As Ascorbic Acid)

250 Mg

417%
Thiamin(As Thiamine Mononitrate)(Vitamin B-1)

7.5 Mg

500%
Riboflavin(B-2)

8.5 Mg

500%
Niacin(As Niacinamide)

50 Mg

250%
Vitamin B-6(As Pyridoxine Hcl)

10 Mg

500%
Folate(As Folic Acid)

400 Mcg

100%
VITAMIN B-12(AS CYANO-COBALAMIN CONCENTRATE)

30 Mcg

500%
Biotin

300 Mcg

100%
Pantothenic Acid(As Calcium D-Pantothenate)

50 Mg

500%
Choline(As Choline Bitartrate)

30 Mg

N/A*
Inositol

30 Mg

N/A*
Paba(Para-Aminobenzioc Acid)

20 Mg

N/A*
STRESS & VITAMIN C SUPPORT BASE:BIOFLAVONOID CONCENTRATE (FROM CITRUS) ACEROLA, AND ROSE HIPS

30 Mg

N/A*
Stevia

9 Mg

N/A*
Sorbitol, xylitol, natural flavors, guar gum, stearic acid, silica, whole rice concentrate and citric acid.

4peatssake

messtafarian said:
Sorbitol, xylitol, natural flavors, guar gum, stearic acid, silica, whole rice concentrate and citric acid.
I wouldn't take anything having that list of excipients in it, especially the guar gum.

Ray Peat said:
Persorption refers to a process in which relatively large particles pass through the intact wall of the intestine and enter the blood or lymphatic vessels. It can be demonstrated easily, but food regulators prefer to act as though it didn't exist. The doctrine that polymers--gums, starches, peptides, polyester fat substitutes--and other particulate substances can be safely added to food because they are "too large to be absorbed" is very important to the food in-dustry and its shills.

When the bowel is inflamed, toxins are absorbed. The natural bacterial endotoxin produces many of the same inflammatory effects as the food additive, carrageenan. Like inflammatory bowel disease, the incidence of liver tumors and cirrhosis has increased rapidly. Liver damage leads to hormonal imbalance. Carrageenan produces inflammation and immunodeficiency, synergizing with estrogen, endotoxin and unsaturated fatty acids.
Incidently, I was in a "The Vitamin Shop" yesterday and could not find any pure supplements on its shelves.

OP
M

messtafarian

Yeah there really may not be any. We might be stuck with trying to figure out which evils are necessary. I don't know much about additives and I've read some peat-ians semi-recommend xylitol. The one thing I really could not figure out though was "silica". Like silicone? Doesn't sound edible.

4peatssake

messtafarian said:
Yeah there really may not be any. We might be stuck with trying to figure out which evils are necessary. I don't know much about additives and I've read some peat-ians semi-recommend xylitol. The one thing I really could not figure out though was "silica". Like silicone? Doesn't sound edible.
Dan is doing a fantastic job ferreting out pure supplements on his website. It's a terrific resource.

Toxinless

I didn't mean to suggest that pure supplements don't exist, just that I cannot seem to find any in an actual retail store.
The purest stuff I can source is online. And it's often not the most expensive stuff. ;)

Peat strictly avoids silica/silicone.

Ray Peat said:
I don't use any product containing fumed or colloidal silica, or titanium, or various novel polymers, or coloring agents.

Dan W

I totally agree with 4peatssake, especially on the guar gum.

As long as ordering online isn't an issue, I think you're best off just getting the individual B vitamins you want as pure powders. And like Jenn mentioned, I see a lot of "food based" supplements that are probably worse than synthesized versions because of crappy additives.

To your main question: I'm also pretty fuzzy on Peat's opinion of supplementing anything except B3. I know a lot of us supplement B1, but note that Cliff suggests lower doses than labels suggest. And Charlie mentioned Peat recommending B6 for stress, so maybe it's on the "approved" list too.

If you end up making your own B-multi, I think Health Natura, PureBulk, and Vitaspace are good places to start for ingredients.

OP
M

messtafarian

I've been watching my vitamin scores on Cronometer -- really everything kind of checks out except folate and vitamin e, and niacin of course. It's interesting that the supplements Peat suggests taking map out to what's missing in my diet on Cronometer.

What I'm really concerned about is supplementing with b12. My stomach doesn't make enough of it out of food so I usually need to supplement. That's probably not going to change no matter how good my diet is or how much I ingest as food. :(

Dan W

gretchen said:
Actually, I saw a product at TJs the other day, a high dose B vitamin. There were 2 of them actually. It had something like 1,000 mg of B12 and B6. Is that good?

http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Dieta ... 47-9568005
http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Dieta ... B00DC244T6

The acacia gum in both of those is pretty undesirable. At first I was going to suggest dissolving them in water, but apparently acacia gum is water-soluble.

It's kind of a hassle, but ultimately you can save money and avoid excipients by purchasing bulk powders. You can pour them into gelatin capsules if they taste bad or if powder is inconvenient.