Metallic Taste, Calcium, Vitamin D

mamaherrera

Since trying Peat, I've developed a metallic taste on my tongue and bad breath. Anyone else know what's causing this?? I know it's definitely since I've upped dairy and fruit. no doubt. Also, I have metabolic syndrome symptoms and want to know if this is going to make my A1C go worse, as it's already borderline.

Maybe you have restored your metal levels, so you can taste them again.

Suikerbuik

Yes 'higher' metals in the blood are possible (real) explanation, I think your body is unable to regulate metals (calcium) properly. Do you use any calcium or vitamin D supplement?

Especially since you have metabolic syndrome (a chronic disease). Most chronic diseases lead to disregulation in calcium/vitamin D control. What's your calcium level?

OP
M

mamaherrera

so you think I need more calcium?? I have been drinking more milk. I take quite a bit of vitamin D as it has been low in the past.

OP
M

mamaherrera

And does Peat help with metabolic syndrome, or should I realy beon those low GI diets?

Suikerbuik

That is exactly what I mean, most likely it's calcium being too high.

(Most people here think different about vitamin D than I do) Anyway low vitamin D is usually a case of chronic disease, or you haven't ANY seen daylight for ages. So low vitamin D is not a cause of disease but rather a result of vitamine D receptor disregulation (which is the cause of low vitamin D 25OH). The vitamin D you have been tested for is 25-OH.
You should get your calcium and if possible vitamin D 1,25 tested to determine any further. However the 1,25(OH)2 test is quite difficult and needs proper handling or you will very easily get results that are not trustful.

If Peat can help metabolic syndrome.. It seemingly helped some people, but everyone is soo different. Anyway I would certainly give it a try. Paleo or low carb will certainly not resolve your problem and will make it worse. This is by far the best approach to fix your metabolism food-wise. Peat's understanding of the metabolic system is way behind the understanding of most supposedly 'auto-immune' diets.

But yes Peat (in my opinion) also still misses some important pieces of information, especially in case of disease but that's not about Peat being wrong, just unknown at this time, because of the vast complexity we are dealing with. (even science doesn't know what disease actually is today, they just spend tons of money trying to get medicines to fix what? ..)

OP
M

mamaherrera

But he always talks about calcium/phosp ratio and needing to put in more calcium. I have never been a dairy person, ever, except now trying to improve my body temp, which is usually cold hands/feet. So just now I've been doing calcium, I notice warmer temps, but metallic taste in my mouth. So I should slack off on dairy and not try to improve calcium/phos ratio??? I 've been doing cronometer, and it always shows I have way more phosphorous in my diet than calcium, no matter how much I try.

OP
M

mamaherrera

I personally think that it has to do with placing the right foods together, at the right time. My biggest issue is that I'm so used to not sleeping until 2-3 AM so I struggle with a consistent sleep cycle. But then my cholesterol is high and A1C is borderline and thyroid, (well a functional doc said it's low) but all numbers fall in the normal ranges.

Suikerbuik

You should get your calcium and if possible vitamin D 1,25 tested to determine any further.

Leave out the vitamin D, make sure you still get enough calcium. And also see if you're getting enough vitamin A and K. These 2 are important in handling calcium and 'prevent' damage from too high calcium levels. But since we don't know what your calcium and vitamin D levels are I can't give direct advice nor I am a docter ;)

In addition to your last post. These are stressful events for a body. Manage your stress!! adrenalin elevates free fatty acids and these interfere with proper oxidation of glucose. Besides that cortisol can also induce insulin resitance with all the other detrimental effects that go along with it.

Circadian rhythm is major player in metabolism, thyroid hormones can make this better for sure. Other ways to just force this to go better is wake up at 7. Don't alow yourself to sleep during the day and go to bed at 10-11PM if even you're not sleepy. Repeat this every day, also if you're getting sleep deprived, one time you will be able to sleep at 10-11PM. If not than there's really something wrong (too many possibilties to mention).

OP
M

mamaherrera

no I gotcha there. Just would be surprising to me that I have high calcium levels as I never supplement with calcium (even while pregnant) and just now have begun to drink milk. Yes to get a "difficult" vitamin D test, not worth it in my opinion. Don't seem to have smart docs here. Just recently, a month ago, I tested vitamin D and it was 95. Calcium was 9.8, BUN was 20 and BUN/Creatinine ratio was high at 29. My phosphorous was 4.3 so I wonder does that mean I have a good balance with calcium?? I know you're not a doc, but we are just as smart as most docs IMO.

My thyroid numbers were TSH 1.47, FREE T3 2.56, TOTAL T3 86, FREE T4, 1.02 and TOTAL T4 5.5 I would appreciate your opinion, from someone who understands Peat more than myself! Thanks

Mittir

Are you drinking milk or eating cheese?
Cheese can be a good source of protein and vitamins and relatively
easier to digest. If cheese is a problem you can try a non-dairy version of
RP inspired diet.
Pectin in OJ and soluble fiber in fruits can be major gut irritant.
RP recommends sweet orange only, unripe oranges are high n pectin,
Same goes for all fruits. It is hard to find well ripened sweet fruits in
stores. You can try avoiding fruits for few days to see how it feels.
Some medication can cause metallic taste in the mouth.
My guess is that you are having problem digesting milk and fruits.
What kind of supplements are you taking now?

OP
M

mamaherrera

I don't find I struggle to digest anything. I can try avoiding fruits, but I've eaten them all my life and have never had this. Supplements i'm taking? thyroid supplement, magnesium (750) prenatal, B vitamins, (but I'm out of them now), and sometimes cod liver oil (just to finish the bottle), plus I want to get enough vitamin A right now, to help thyroid

Mittir

Bad digestion does not mean upset stomach.
It is more about endotoxins, which increases when starch,sugar
soluble fiber, even gelatine feeds bad bacteria.
Since you have been eating fruits all your life, it is less likely to be a problem.
Have you been drinking milk regularly before peating?
What exactly changed in your diet before and after peat.
This problem clearly stared with peating.
Just comparing your pre-peat and current diet you can find
the source of the problem.
Thyroid supplement increases need for nutrients and sugar.
If you are not getting enough carbohydrate to support your increased
metabolism you may end up using fat and protein as your energy source.
People often have metallic taste in ketosis type diet.

OP
M

mamaherrera

THAT makes more sense, if really my thyroid is improving. I am talking about the using fat/protein as energy, because I've been trying to lose a few pounds after baby, so i've been watching my calories (and I'm breastfeeding). That makes the most sense, as maybe I"m not eating enough, although I don't feel hungry eating 1800 calories a day. It's not like I'm ignoring hunger signs to stick to this diet, I feel full enough throughout the day. But how can you tell if your thyroid is working better??? and the thyroid supplement I'm taking is just full of extra minerals and vitamin A, it's not an actual thyroid medication, just to be clear. But other than that, yes fruit always, milk is what's new and lots of cottage cheese, . . . . who knows do you think that would cause this taste??? I have been increasing more gelatin in my diet, but it's not new. That's for sure.

Mittir

Supplement you are taking can be a source of problem.
RP tries to avoid supplement as much as possible as their quality is
very poor and often a source of gut irritant.
Tracking pulse and temperature 1-2 hours breakfast
gives a good idea if metabolism is increasing or not.
When body does not get enough sugar/carbohydrate it uses
stored fat and muscle as energy source. This causes major stress to the body.
You can simply increase your sugar intake to see if things get better.
You can also try avoiding supplements, gelatin, milk ( possible irritants)
for few days to figure out the source of problem. It is all about self experimentation.

aguilaroja

mamaherrera said:
I tested vitamin D and it was 95. Calcium was 9.8, BUN was 20 and BUN/Creatinine ratio was high at 29....My thyroid numbers were TSH 1.47, FREE T3 2.56, TOTAL T3 86, FREE T4, 1.02 and TOTAL T4 5.5 I would appreciate your opinion....

The BUN & BUN/Creatine ratio values suggest that you are dehydrated. Are you intentionally restricting fluid? Dehydration alone can skew taste and smell. Dehydration may also reflect mineral disproportion, which can also lead to unusual tastes. Many "taste" issues are really smell issues. Is there are a sinus issue or recent injuries to the nose.

Your post of last spring,mentioned PCOS and that you had started progesterone. What direction did that take you? The 25-OH vitamin D level is high, so, especially in a sunny season, you could reduce supplementation.

The thyroid lab tests are fairly "normal" by the usual standards. The big question is: what, if any, low thyroid symptoms remain. I know several people with similar numbers and low thyroid symptoms who were helped by supplementation. See if you can find someone, physician or otherwise, to test the Achilles tendon reflex return phase. When the return lags, it is suggestive of low thyroid function.

J

j.

aguilaroja said:
The 25-OH vitamin D level is high, so, especially in a sunny season, you could reduce supplementation.

How did you figure that out without her specifying the units?

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks for taking a look at those things. Yes I will make an effort to drink more water, wasn't doing it on purpose. Maybe that will help with the metallic thing. No sinus/smell problems. Progesterone, I stopped because I got pregnant, and because of nursing right now, I feel I should not play with hormones. Did it help? I didn't notice any chnages, honestly, but it was just a short time of using it before I got pregnant. Thyroid issues: I would say cold feet/hands still linger and the high cholesterol is probably from the low thyroid, that's what the functional doc said. He did check (he's a chiro) different acupuncture points, but I don't remember him checking achilles or if he did, he didn't say anything about it. But he said from my tests, that it was low thyroid. I don't really want to play with thyroid meds, but I would just hope I could get my thyroid optimal by diet and regulating my sleep which is really bad, my schedule. He said probably my adrenals/hypothalamus, but that was without any test pointing to that.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and another question to those who have knowledge, if my calcium was 9.8 and my phosphorous was 4.3, does that mean I'm at a good ratio and do not need to up dairy??? those levels were before I started drinking milk.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I would keep up dairy. You can have a high calcium blood test result with little or no dairy intake simply because your body will pull what it needs from your bones. This is exactly what you want to avoid as it is very stressful on the body. I would continue with whatever forms of dairy you tolerate best to help preserve your bones and keep your body out of a stressful adaptive cycle of pulling calcium from your own skeleton. Even more so considering you are breastfeeding. As for the phosphorus level, I will leave that question to someone more knowledgeable in that specifically.