mamaherrera

I had my phosphorous level checked, and it's a little high. Don't know how to do the ratio thing with the calcium, But here are my levels:
:mrgreen:
Calcium is 9.8 mg/dl
Phosphorous 4.3 mg/dl
Parathyroid is 15 pg/ml
and magnesium is 2.0 mg/dl

But on cronometer, now that I'm trying to drink milk (something totally new for me) and still the phosphorous is always high, and I'm not eating anything particularly high in phosphorous, but I always go way over the daily value. Like today I still have yet to eat dinner and a snack, and I'm already at 154% of daily value of phos, and at 70% of daily value of calcium, so I don't know what else to do except to drink more and more milk and I don't want to get acne or more bloating from that. Any other suggestions?? I never thought phosphorous was so easy to get from diet, and a good diet of Peat things, it's just in everything. Ideas, opinions. . . .greatly appreciated!

Mittir

Your blood calcium and PTH are in good range. RP has mentioned that blood calcium
should be between 9 to 10 and PTH should be at the lower end of reference range.
I have never heard him say anything about ideal blood phosphorus. But he mentioned
that William Brown's phosphorus fell from 4 to 3 after several months of fat free
milk based diet. RP talks about ratio of calcium to phosphorus, not the percentage of
RDA. What is your calcium and phosphorus intake in terms of miligrams.

OP
M

mamaherrera

IT's hard for me to tell on that one, but an estimate is that my calcium is 700-800 mg of calcium and 20000-3000 mg of phosphorous. Glad to hear my other numbers are in good range!!

J

j.

Homemade farmers cheese has calcium. Greek Yogurt I think is lower than milk but still is a good source.

J

j.

If the RDA for phosphorus is 700 mg, 154% of the RDA is 1078 mg.

If the RDA for calcium is 1200 mg, 70% of the RDA is 840 mg.

That would make a 0.78 : 1 calcium to phosphorus ratio, but the calcium ingested should be equal or greater than the phosphorus.

Mittir

RP mentioned that the ratio of calcium to phosphorus should be at least 1:2.
That is if calcium is 800 mg then phosphorus can not be more than 1600 mg.
But he also mentioned that ideally it should be 1:1, if there is 800 mg calcium then
there should be 800 mg of phosphorus. So, it is the ratio that matters.
Human milk has 2:1 ratio and cow's milk has 1.3:1, which is similar to RDA ratio.
I try to keep calcium level higher than phosphorus.He also mentioned that
2:1 ratio is safe. What kind of foods you are eating.
You can also use egg shell calcium or oyster shell calcium to balance the ratio.

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks for figuring that out for me. with the percentages. Can I do calcium citrate to balance things out?? that's what I have at the moment. What am I eating?? eggs, fruit, milk with sugar and cocoa powder, oysters, gelatin, that's pretty much it. Chicken, liver, and cottage cheese adn yogurt. I guess I'll have to do more milk, no??That's the only thing?? How do you use egg shell calcium??? or oyster shell, are those powders, or supplements or what?? I would like to get better with this. I appreciate all your help. Now I"m heading out to eat a buffalo burger, but then I'll come back and have milk. any other suggestions and info would be great, thanks so much. Thanks again for figuring out those percentages too by the way. That helps.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and yes, milk is basically almost a 1:1 ratio, so I wish I could find some foods that have a higher calcium/phos ratio to get it back in balance. Anyone know of any?

Mittir

840 mg calcium : 1074 phosphorus is close to 1:1 and
phosphorus is not twice the calcium. Your PTH is in check.
This means your ratio is fine. PTH changes everyday depending
on the daily diet. That is why RP puts so much emphasis on daily
calcium intake. Eating fructose rich carbohydrate increases phosphorus
loss. If your carbs are mostly from sucrose and fruits then you can get away
with higher amount of phosphorus in the diet. It is a big problem when
starch is the main carb,phosphorus high and calcium is low.
RP does not recommend calcium citrate. But i think when you eat
phosphorus rich meals like muscle meat then taking 200-300 mg of extra
calcium supplement is not that bad. There is a thread on how to make
egg shell powder. Just boil the raw eggshell in water, if you are not boiling the egg,
then let it dry. Then use coffee grinder to make fine powder.
1 tsp= 5 grams of egg shell powder provides 2000 mg of calcium.
You also need to remove the white membrane on the eggshell.

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
M

mamaherrera

Well I think I'll just stay making good efforts with my diet, and recheck it in a couple months. That level 4.3, was when I was not drinking milk, so maybe now that I keep ratios close to 1:1, it will go down. Thanks, I would try niacinamide, but others (enough people) said it caused them hair loss, which i don't want.

Mittir

RP mainly focuses on getting nutrients from food. But there are few
supplements he strongly recommends for regular use and Niacinamide is
one of them. I have seen several posts about adverse effects on niacinamide.
One thing happened a lot that people use large dose of niacinamide
without increasing sugar/carbohydrate intake. Niacinamide lowers
free fatty acids, which makes body rely more on sugar as energy source.
RP recommends drinking OJ with niacinamide and any carb will do the same.
Contaminant and or allergenic excipients can be cause of problems.
I have seen great results using 100 mg of niacinamide 2-3 times a day.

J

j.

For what it's worth, I have noticed great results using 250 mg of niacinamide once or twice a week.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and when you both say you see great results, in what way do you see great results??? And how much would you all recommend increasing carb??? Right now my ratios, are 45/30/25, carbs/protein/fat. Is that enough to work it well with such a supplement???

J

j.

Mine are mostly mental, good outlook in life. I'm not sure this is something that benefits everyone. I don't even know what my carb ratios are, I might eat a few more sweet things when I take it.

Mittir

Over all improvement in health, a big upward shift.
Most noticeable one is that i can sleep for long hours (10-12 hours)
and wake up feeling fine. It happened a week after starting supplement.
In past, i could not sleep beyond 8 hours. I believe it increased
my liver's capacity to store glycogen. I also can go longer hours
without eating. I was already eating a lot of sugar, so i did not
have to change anything. I only take niacinamide
after meal. I started with 50 mg once a day and slowly increased to
100 mg 3 times a day.
Edit: When i tried to increase dose from once 100 mg to twice a day
i had delayed sleep for a few days and then went back to 100 and
waited there for a week. Then increased to twice a day.
You have to watch how your body react to new food or supplements.

narouz

Just a note on niacinamide.
I agree about the view that it is one of the few supplements he regularly endorses.
But I think I might've gotten a little overly enthusiastic about using it
because of that.
I was taking 500 mg a day, occasionally twice a day.
At one point I believe I got some heart palpitations from it.
I was listening to an interview with Peat where he discussed supplements and dosage.
It reminded me
that his recommended dosages, overall, are quite low
(to the mega-dosing mentality).
I remember making a mental note to drop down to more like 100 mg/day.
He may've even suggested lower...can't recall exactly.

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks, maybe. . . . down the road I'll get brave enough to try. Right now I'm hoping the diet itself can help me out with my thyroid symptoms.

Kyle Bigman

Is there a reason for abnormally low urinary excretion of phosphate? My urinary phosphate levels were very low. (4.3 mg/dl). The low reference range of normal is 40mg/dl.

For context, the urine test was done in the afternoon but I don't think I had eaten that day.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is there a reason for abnormally low urinary excretion of phosphate? My urinary phosphate levels were very low. (4.3 mg/dl). The low reference range of normal is 40mg/dl.

For context, the urine test was done in the afternoon but I don't think I had eaten that day.

Urinary test by itself is not very reliable. It has to be combined with a blood test for both calcium and phosphorus in order to analyze properly.