Thyroid supplement

Kia

A question; does taking thyroid supplement suppress the body's natural production? I would like to kick start my thyroid, after recognising my symptoms as hypo, but it looks like my body will be pumping out PUFAs for the next three years even on the best diet... Which I understand suppresses the thyroid, along with multiple other factors I am affected by.
I'm not ready for T supplements yet, I would just like to get all the info organised in my mind so I can plan ahead.
And how do you wean the body off thyroid supplements? Has anyone gotten their body back to a healthy balance and off meds, or do you have to keep taking thyroid once it's been started?

Mittir

Body makes about 4 mcg of T3 per hour and inactivate excess T3.
But T4 gets stored over time, depending on the rate of conversion in liver and
tissues. That is why RP recommends mix of T4 and T3.
You can lower Free Fatty Acids release by eating frequent meals with
carbohydrate. Aspirin and Niacinamide both inhibit FFA release.
Niacinamide also protects liver.I think if your thyroid problem is mild then
you can avoid taking thyroid hormone and fixed the problem with diet and some
supplements.

It’s the stored PUFA, released by stress or hunger, that slow metabolism. Niacinamide helps to lower free fatty acids, and good nutrition will allow the liver to slowly detoxify the PUFA, if it isn’t being flooded with large amounts of them. A small amount of coconut oil with each meal will increase the ability to oxidize fat, by momentarily stopping the antithyroid effect of the PUFA. Aspirin is another thing that reduces the stress-related increase of free fatty acids, stimulating metabolism. Taking a thyroid supplement is reasonable until the ratio of saturated fats to PUFA is about 2 to 1.
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... acinamide/

RP has mentioned that in past people use to get half a grain of Armout equivalent
thyroid hormone from fish and chicken stew. Fish head and chicken neck are
rich source of thyroid. 1 grain of Armour has 38 mcg T4 and 9 mcg T3.
I have used chicken neck soup and it is great. Here is a thread on
chicken neck soup and there is a recipe from our forum memeber jenn.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2686&p=42909&hilit=chicken+neck#p42909

I have seen people lowering their dose.
It is common to use bigger dose in winter. In most female estrogen
is root cause of thyroid problem. RP has mentioned how using carrot salad
( which lowers endotoxin) fixed hormonal imbalance in few days.
For some using progesterone fixed that problem. 80 grams of quality protein
can fix the problem when hypothyroidism was a result of low protein.
Same thing happen when low carb people increased their carb intake.
Thyroid disease rate is many fold higher in
female than in male. So, PUFA is probably a secondary factor in female hypothyroidism.
(I do not know if you are male or female.)
Here is a RP quote on quitting thyroid med.

[HOW TO STOP THYROID] If a person's thyroid gland has been inhibited by very high doses of a supplement, it takes only 2 or 3 days for the gland to resume full activity, and because it takes time for the hormone to be excreted, suddenly stopping a supplement shouldn't be noticeable, when the gland isn't being inhibited or malfunctioning. http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges

Kray

Mittir,

You seem so knowledgeable. Your posts are always so helpful and easy to understand. A blessing!

I think you mentioned about histamine issues on another post but I can't remember where-- you said adding calcium to oj prevents histamine reaction-- was that calcium carbonate? I purchased some and have been adding it to my oj. But, I'm still having super dry skin rashes and don't know if it's histamine, estrogen, or thyroid. I started a B complex supplement, some extra B6 (P-5-P) and some vitamin A. I tried some thyroid but stopped as my metabolism normalized, so I'm having trouble figuring out what's missing at this point. I'm female-- wondering if more progesterone could be helpful. I'm menopause and usually only take about 10mg a day. Could more be helpful with my skin issues? I appreciate your feedback! :)

OP
K

Kia

Thank you Mittir!
It looks like I'm missing out on the carrot salad for the most part, I will add that to my diet and see if there are any changes, I had no idea it could have such an impact. I'm definitely going to try getting my thyroid going by continuing to make improvements and changes to my diet. I've started supplementing with B vits recently, in addition to the basic meal recommendations and avoiding PUFAs. I will look into the soup as well.

Mittir

RP has mentioned that some synthetic B vitamins, particularly B2 and folic acid can be allergenic.
I have never found a b complex that did not bother me. Here is a RP quote on B vitamins

Ray Peat said:
Because of individual sensitivities, each one should be tested carefully. Allergic reactions sometimes show up within a few minutes of contacting your mouth, other times it takes a couple of days to see a bad reaction. The worst one is B2, folic acid is next for allergies. B1, pantothenic acid, niacinamide and B6 are pretty safe.http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges

I think regular use of Niacinamide and or Aspirin is almost essential until PUFA storage
is depleted. RP has mentioned that Niacinamide 100 mg twice a day with meal
is effective in inibiting PUFA release. If you choose to use Aspirin make sure you
dissolve aspirin in warm water and get extra vitamin K
( supplement, well cooked kale, liver etc) to counter blood thinning effect of aspirin.
Before you start Aspirin, it is important to know if you have aspirin intolerance or not.
Slow increase in aspirin dose also increases tolerance .
Some people have stomach ulcer problem from Aspirin use.
If you are new to aspirin use then you need to be cautious with Aspirin use.
Small amount of B6 is also useful at lowering estrogen and serotonin.
Raw carrot salad improves hormonal profile by lowering burden on
liver. It is very important to eat foods that don't irritate gut .
Starch, soluble fiber and undigested gelatin can feed bad bacteria,
which results in excess endotoxin.

Kray

Mittir,

I am taking P5P (B6) for some skin issues. Do you know if that is considered to be a safe one as far as allergy goes? Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals