Surgical incision won't heal.

tomisonbottom

Hello,

I just had a scar revision surgery and the incision has opened up. I think there was too much tension on it. I'm trying to get it to generate new skin and heal but nothing is happening. It's been this way for several days now. I'm concerned that it's not healing because there's not enough blood flow to the area because of previous scar tissue. It's not bleeding but there's no scab or anything either. it's fairly big, like a half inch wide. I've tried honey, baking soda and right now I have antibiotic ointment with sugar on it.
Can anyone help me with ideas on how to heal quickly? It's been this way for about a week. It started out as a slow opening and just got wider and wider.
Please help,
Thank you so much.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Did you mean that it started to open up several days ago or was it a week? I work with a wound care nurse and will be glad to ask about this to see if she has any possible helpful input but I do want to give her the correct time frame.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I did also wonder from a Peat perspective if covering it in a way that would trap CO2 might be beneficial? That's just a thought.

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

Blossom said:
Did you mean that it started to open up several days ago or was it a week? I work with a wound care nurse and will be glad to ask about this to see if she has any possible helpful input but I do want to give her the correct time frame.

Thank you, yes, I have tried putting saran wrap on it to keep it sealed but wasn't sure if that was good or not..........I could try that again.

It started opening about a week ago but the last 3 days got WAY bigger, it was just a small spot at first.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I talked to her and here is what she said:
I only like to cleanse wounds with sterile normal saline. If it is just pink it is probably fine but if it is oozing or hot to the touch it may be infected. I like to cover wounds like you describe with xerofoam gauze. I don't like the antibiotic ointments they keep the wound too moist.
She did say it is hard to say for certain without seeing the wound herself. She gave me some xerofoam and I'm not sure if it can be purchased over the counter but maybe the surgeon would be willing to call you in a script if not. I would definitely watch for the signs of infection especially any streaking that could indicate a spreading infection. So be on the look out for redness, heat and swelling.
Obviously this is not medical advise and I personally know nothing special about wounds but wanted to pass that info on to you. :D

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

Blossom said:
I talked to her and here is what she said:
I only like to cleanse wounds with sterile normal saline. If it is just pink it is probably fine but if it is oozing or hot to the touch it may be infected. I like to cover wounds like you describe with xerofoam gauze. I don't like the antibiotic ointments they keep the wound too moist.
She did say it is hard to say for certain without seeing the wound herself. She gave me some xerofoam and I'm not sure if it can be purchased over the counter but maybe the surgeon would be willing to call you in a script if not. I would definitely watch for the signs of infection especially any streaking that could indicate a spreading infection. So be on the look out for redness, heat and swelling.
Obviously this is not medical advise and I personally know nothing special about wounds but wanted to pass that info on to you. :D

Ok, thank you.
So she thinks you should let the area dry out? Not keep it moist?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's the impression I got. I will see her again tomorrow if you want me to ask any further questions. It sounds like 1. Cleanse with normal saline 2. Pat dry 3. Apply dry dressing is her normal procedure.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I would probably stick with a prepackaged sterile normal saline since your dealing with an open surgical wound. That's just me being extra cautious.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If you make your own saline using salt and water distilled water would be probably be the best choice.

HDD

Progest-e? I know Peatarian used it with a burn wound. I used it on a bad scrape from an electric sander and it healed nicely.

HDD

Quote from Peatarian-

"...Progesterone renews cells and is used to treat scars and wounds, vitamin E (progest-e-complex consists of 90% vitamin E complex oil) is cell-protective"....

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

Blossom said:
I would probably stick with a prepackaged sterile normal saline since your dealing with an open surgical wound. That's just me being extra cautious.

Ok, thank you.
I've seen Dr's online recommending Silvadene.....does anyone know if silver for wounds is Ray Peat approved?

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

timthai said:
Try good honey on it. Honey heals cuts much faster than any man made stuff.

Thank you,
I have tried that. Maybe I'm not giving it enough, or maybe I'm not giving it enough time but haven't seen improvement with that.
Does it have to be manuka honey or will regular raw honey work?

burtlancast

Haagendazendiane said:
Progest-e? I know Peatarian used it with a burn wound. I used it on a bad scrape from an electric sander and it healed nicely.

This.

Or you can use plain Vit E. Split the oil capsule and spread the oil over the wound.

Then you can use alternatively to the Vit E oil, diluted DMSO ( 50% water - 50% DMSO)

These two substances are known to do wonders for wounds and burns healing.

Red light therapy! Also, the wrapping could make it get too wet, and break apart.

Lin

I would call the surgeon's office. Tell them what happened. If you have an infection in deep tissues, nothing you put on the surface will help. And the sooner if is caught, the easier the treatment.

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

Lin said:
I would call the surgeon's office. Tell them what happened. If you have an infection in deep tissues, nothing you put on the surface will help. And the sooner if is caught, the easier the treatment.

Thanks, I did, he just said to give it time. But I'm concerned because I've never seen something take this long to granulate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals