Throbbing pulse

Over the past few years I noticed I was having a throbbing pulse sensation in my hands, feet, face/jaw, head, and body. It is more pronounced when i am laying down. I don't have it all the time but I do notice it often especially when stressed. They best way to describe it is a feeling of pressure in that area causing poor blood flow and throbbing. Its not very subtle and very uncomfortable.

any ideas?

tara

Have you tried bag-breathing or other breathing exercises to raise CO2 in your body?
I used to sometimes wake up with pounding heart till I got the unaware hyperventilation calmed down a bit. Also supplying sugar when stressed makes a difference for me.

tara

The fact that it helps while doing it seems like a good clue that the CO2 is a relevant factor. I think it takes a bit of training to get the CO2 set point up so the effects can be more continuous.

I've only made small headway with this, but it has made a noticable difference for me. Some people find bag-breathing several times a day starts to have an effect in-between times. Some people meditate, or do yoga breathing exercises, or Buteyko exercises. I keep my mouth shut at night now (as well as during the day), and retrained diaphragmatic breathing fairly easily. If you can find a technique that you can practice often, it might help against CO2 losses.

Breathing exercise can improve digestion too, from your other thread. Intensive breathing exercises may be best not on a full stomach, because apparently it can speed up peristalsis, and if there are a lot of solids passing through this can be rough on the vili.

All the things on this forum that improve metabolism should also increase CO2 production and have a positive effect. I see you had noticable relaxation response to niacinamide. Does this help against the throbbing too?

Mittir

Did you measure your pulse rate when you have that kind of experience?
If your pulse is too high then lowering pulse to normal level should resolve the problem.
Besides CO2, RP has mentioned many factors that influences blood vessels: high estrogen,
low progesterone, low thyroid, calcification from low calcium diet, potassium, salt etc.
Everything goes back to fixing the whole body.

lexis

Is it okay to increase calcium intake before lowering estrogen levels?

Mittir

@embs2001
Did you measure that pulse of 58 while you were having throbbing pulse sensation?

Mittir

lexis said:
Is it okay to increase calcium intake before lowering estrogen levels?

My understanding is that we need to suppress PTH with good ratio of calcium and phosphorus,
vitamin D and K, niacinamide,magnesium etc. Low calcium diet can lead to high PTH and that
increases blood calcium level and calcification of soft tissue, arteries. Unenergized cell
takes up calcium. Low thyroid and high estrogen are two of the causes for that.
RP mentioned a chicken bone study , here is a quote from that study
Ray Peat said:
"In egg-laying chickens, estrogen promotes the storage of calcium, largely in the soft interior of bones, but if combined with a high calcium intake, extra estrogen can be toxic. To the extent that estrogen does increase the mineral content of bone, it seems to be in the spongy cancellous bone around the marrow, rather than in the strong cortical bone.
source:http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2715
I think it means we want adequate calcium to check PTH and we should lower estrogen
before getting excess calcium. High PTH draws calcium from bones, so not taking
dietary calcium does not help.

OP
E
My pulse doesn't seem to correlate with the throbbing. I have blood test showing hight blood calcium. PTH was 26 iirc. Cant remember the range.

Mittir

RP thinks it is good to have PTH at the lower end of normal, range is usually 12-54.
I feel really good when it around 10-12. 26 is not that bad. I am not sure what you meant
by high calcium level, whether it is high normal or high beyond normal range.
It is hard to guess anything without exact information.

Mittir

RP mentioned that serum calcium should be between 9 to 10.
10.4 can be due to dehydration. He mentioned people with calcium level
12-13 can lower this by increasing calcium intake. He recommends 1500 mg
of calcium to lower PTH with phosphorus amount equal or less than calcium.
If you already have calcified arteries and soft tissues then you can use
vitamin K to reverse that.Liver and Kale have good amount of vitamin K.
I think adequate alkaline mineral intake makes a huge difference in health issues.

Peata

Mittir said:
If you already have calcified arteries and soft tissues then you can use
vitamin K to reverse that.Liver and Kale have good amount of vitamin K.

Any idea on amount of K to reverse it?

Mittir

He mentioned 1 to 10 mg of vitamin K to reverse calcification of arteries and osteoporosis.

Bluebell

Agree with Mittir.

Could your small vessels be partially blocked and have trouble pushing the blood through? Like atherosclerosis ( where arteries become clogged up by fatty substances)?

If you are low in thyroid, then taking some can help reduce your cholesterol if it's high. Does anyone know any other ways to fix atherosclerosis?

tara

Just remembered (cause it just happened again), that I get a noticable throbbing pulse in bed under two conditions:
1. low blood sugar/adrenaline/hyperventilating
2. if I didn't drink as much as usual the day before. Thicker blood, harder to pump? How much people can/need to drink seems to vary widely. I usually drink 2.5-3l/day when well. If I'm well and eating fully, and drink less than 2l, I can get the throbbing pulse, sometimes followed by a particular kind of headache (not the usual migraine).